Hi all - any advice on a good student othphalmo/otoscope? I need to buy my first before I start my didactic year in August. My program suggested spending at least $200, but didn't give much guidance beyond that. Any advice on a model that's not over-the-top but that's good enough to do the job? Thanks!

Also - if anyone is selling a used o/oscope in good condition please PM me!

Checkout starvingmedstudent.com they have proprietary sets for around a hundred bucks. I just bought a fiber optic one for my practice. It's a welch allyn knockoff but its made by them and they stand behind their products.

You don't need an expensive set. I got thru school with a cheapo 50 dollar set from ebay. I'd still be using it but it mysteriously disappeared....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I have an $80 set off Amazon. I wish I'd never bought one at all. I could have easily gotten through didactic without it. We had tons of time to practice in the labs, which had wall-mounted sets at every exam table. We were told we'd need our own for clinicals; we'll see, but so far that's a lie. Glad I didn't blow more money on it.

I have an $80 set off Amazon. I wish I'd never bought one at all. I could have easily gotten through didactic without it. We had tons of time to practice in the labs, which had wall-mounted sets at every exam table. We were told we'd need our own for clinicals; we'll see, but so far that's a lie. Glad I didn't blow more money on it.

It depends on your clinical site. Our hospital didn't have them in the pts rooms so i carried mine around with me in my lab coat. The outpt clinics had them.except my peds clinic where each clinicians had their own so it all depends. YMMV

That is fantastic news, especially since I just decided to buy an ipad to take notes on (and maaaaaybe just because I wanted an excuse to get one anyway..)

Thanks for the advice - how does this one look? http://starvingmedstudent.com/pro_halogen_ophthalmoscope_otoscope_kit.htm

I got the fiber optic led otoscope version of that one. It's on sale for 109. But that one for 87 shoud be good enough.

This brand is good quality. It's no panoptic but very good quality. I use it for everyday use as t my practice.

If you buy a decent one, it will last you your whole life, and you will be able to do something productive when your relatives bring their screaming kids over and expect you to look in their ears. Your investing a gazillion dollars in your education. Buy a decent set you will be happy with and that will serve you well.

If you buy a decent one, it will last you your whole life, and you will be able to do something productive when your relatives bring their screaming kids over and expect you to look in their ears. Your investing a gazillion dollars in your education. Buy a decent set you will be happy with and that will serve you well.

speaking of equipment, do you need littman cardio III? I have littman classic II and not sure if I should spend that money on a stethoscope or a bed for my new apt :D

speaking of equipment, do you need littman cardio III? I have littman classic II and not sure if I should spend that money on a stethoscope or a bed for my new apt :D

Can you please provide an example of "decent?" I'm ok with spending several hundred dollars on a set since I agree with your logic. Also, I hear they're handy for if I want to do volunteer work some place which I likely will want to do. However, I don't want to get too crazy and spend $1000 on a super cool set. I want quality that will last while still being a sound financial decision. Thanks!

Can you please provide an example of "decent?" I'm ok with spending several hundred dollars on a set since I agree with your logic. Also, I hear they're handy for if I want to do volunteer work some place which I likely will want to do. However, I don't want to get too crazy and spend $1000 on a super cool set. I want quality that will last while still being a sound financial decision. Thanks!

no you do not. The classic II is a very good stethescope (unless you are in a noisy environment).

Unless you think you are going to go into cardiology and want to spend the money now instead of later, I don't see any reason not to just keep using the one you have now.

no you do not. The classic II is a very good stethescope (unless you are in a noisy environment).

Unless you think you are going to go into cardiology and want to spend the money now instead of later, I don't see any reason not to just keep using the one you have now.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting ready to buy gently used Panoptic, complete set with handle and otoscope, from another forum for $640. If any PA students need to sell theirs, in a similar condition and price, I would rather do business with you. I need to know by tomorrow so PM me. Thanks

Archived