PA Student Seeking Used Oto-Opthalmoscope

I think it’s crazy that the PA programs are requiring students to buy the items that will be ON SITE at your rotations . I was broke when I was in PA school . The only item I bought was a good stethoscope (Littman cardio III ) and got by just fine . 

I hope you find one if that’s what you really want - but do NOT stress if you don’t ! And best of luck to you in rotations ! 🙂

• Like 1

I disagree

a student needs to have a good set of oto/optho as they are learning, need time to figure things out and in general need their own set.

I have used my own set (mandated to buy in PA school some 20 years ago) many times over the years.  They have gone with me on trips, rescue missions, medical missions and the like.  They were there when I started my practice, and are still in my little black bag.   They are one of my prized possession...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ventana said:

I disagree

a student needs to have a good set of oto/optho as they are learning, need time to figure things out and in general need their own set.

I have used my own set (mandated to buy in PA school some 20 years ago) many times over the years.  They have gone with me on trips, rescue missions, medical missions and the like.  They were there when I started my practice, and are still in my little black bag.   They are one of my prized possession...

Interestingly my experience has been just the opposite. Everywhere I've worked has provided what I've needed. I used the set I purchased for PA School during school and rarely afterwards. It sits in my closet in almost new condition just 35 years older than when I bought it.

• Like 1

I did not purchase the recommended set (also Welch Allyn) because I too was on a budget and knew most of my rotations would have sets available for use. However, my program told us there are rotations that do not have sets and we may need to bring our own, so I bought the Riester Mini oto/ophthalmic set and it still works great eight years later! Compact and lightweight. I ended up having one of those rotation sites that did not have some of the equipment available in every room, so it ended up being necessary for me. It looks like it's fairly pricey on Amazon right now despite being cheap eight years ago (something like $50-80). Just make sure you get a set that has the necessary filters and magnification settings.