VENT - "Brief Office Visit chest pain and SOB room B"

booked in a 10 min slot this morning on a day when I am overbooked (31 patients)

Brief Office Visit chest pain and SOB room B

83yr old diabetic RA patient who has not been seen for a year with CAD history.....

What the heck is my practice thinking? how is this a 10 minute visit?

If this was an occasional issue I would understand, but this happens just about every week and sometime multiple times in a week

anyone else have the same total lack of control over their schedule and booking?

I have to agree with you... Not a good idea. I get Pts just like that coming into urgent care all the time... "Folks, this is not an ER. I have a crash cart, but my MA has ever even opening one. I do not have a direct line to the cath lab or anyone who can get you there within 90 minutes. While I am a competent medical provider, there is a much better place for you that is less than 1/2 block away - it's called the ER. Go there. Now. Thank you and have a nice day. Or, have a nicer day than you're currently having."

More frequent. EKG ck, ASA given. COPD/CHF exacerbation? Treat as such. Call EMS for transport. Destination/Dispo: ED. Next pt? In primary care, it's all about the # particularly in the eyes of your boss/administrator. Your practice would benefit from better train triage staff and that should be your primary area of focus. Believe me, complaining would be a waste of time. Keep your heads up! My 2c.

Post the definition of "Triage" at the front desk...

oh thats funny

see the appointment schedulers continually say they can't and shouldn't triage, and need to have a nurse talk to the patient - then the nurse says they should be seen and the scheduler takes this as a MUST be seen and proceeds to slam then into a slot anywhere

the thing that bothers me the most is they would never do this to the doc's in the practice, but as I am the only urgent care provider (and the only PA) they just load them up. Now I get pissy and throw a fit eery time and it still doesn't seem to matter - I am almost to the point where I am going to walk into the bosses office and say I either quit to they let me develop my own schedule..... then I get a day away and realize I just need to zip it and keep working and defending my schedule as I am not there for the long run...... (they have proven the most important thing to them is $$ not patient care)

booked in a 10 min slot this morning on a day when I am overbooked (31 patients)

Brief Office Visit chest pain and SOB room B

83yr old diabetic RA patient who has not been seen for a year with CAD history.....

What the heck is my practice thinking? how is this a 10 minute visit?

If this was an occasional issue I would understand, but this happens just about every week and sometime multiple times in a week

anyone else have the same total lack of control over their schedule and booking?

I have adopted the position of thinking, using good sense ,medical accumen, just sets me up to be disappointed and PO'ed! I think the drive to generate cash by "not turning away" patients coupled with the ignorance and lassitude of the front office staff are the real culprits! If you add in lazy illinformed people who "know" they don't need to go to the ED and not" wanting to wait all day" to be seen you have the bane of the Urgent Care Center!!!!!The Aleutians are calling me back louder each day!

• Administrator

If scheduling a SOB/CP anywhere at all for any time at all (other than, say, as an ED followup) isn't cause for termination for the scheduler making that appointment, then the clinic's policies are deficient, arguably criminally negligently so. I have to listen to "If this is a life-threatening emergency, please hang up and call 911" in EVERY voicemail system of EVERY provider I call, then such an oversight in the scheduling process is inexcusable.

Ventana, you didn't say how long this 10 minute patient actually took.....

50 min with EKG and labs, patient refused to go to ER - documented the heck out of it

stat cardiac labs and CXR read

all came back normal - and that is the rub - they will end of thinking it was fine to do....

charged a level 5 visit but could have seen 3 level 3-4 in the same time and not had all the stresssss and liability

my office is run by the front office manager (no medical training) and the practice manager (RN by training, don't get the sense she is overly friendly to PA's...) But it is a paycheck and health care till I get my practice up and going...... and that is soon. And then after that I will appreciate all the patients that self refer from my old job...... ;-)

In the same day i sent 3 people to the ER - one as a result of a postive DVT (PCV and Cancer in remission with a swollen leg), one COPD young patient I needed a PE r/o and one generally sick person... tough day...

Well dude, here's hoping you get your practice up and running sooner rather than later, because that situation sounds horrible. Maybe it's because I haven't worked the private clinic setting before, but I just couldn't be in a practice like that where morons only see dollar signs on an 83 year old with known CAD having CAD-like symptoms.

Archived