Would MSN path possible after being dismissed from a PA program?

Seeking for advice.

I was recently dismissed from my PA program (a little over 3 weeks ago) due to multiple failing below 70% exams up till mid-terms on my first try on first semester. Very sad, confused and shock to accept the difficult truth. There were many things and decisions I could have done differently, but it was all the decisions and plans i made at the time. More into the story, but also some part of that I couldnt really have done any better. So, I have decided to leave the past behind and try to be  ready to look into options. 

Logically, I feel that the door for PA is very much shut on me at this point. It would be my last option to consider reapplying after being dismissed. Plus, I am too exhausted to have to try it all over again combined with that fact that most science classes are around 5-8 years old now, and I am 37+ the strong argument wont be in my side any more. I do love medicine modules that the PA program offer although I just got to know it for one semester. Yes, being able to treat diseases is very cool, but I cant feel so confident on myself just learning about medicine for that 24-27 months in such a cramping fast pace boot camp design, I didn't feel to absorb or retain  much of the knowledge, nor got to enjoy studying but felt extremely high stress, pressure, and fear all the time. So, I just hope to read some insights in here about people who had some setbacks and consider other alternatives, especially nursing tract. I would be appreciate all feedback (including negatives) because I am a bit lost.

I am considering 2 tracts in nursing simultaneously. Applying for Entry Level of Nursing MSN for Non-nursing students Spring and Summer 2020 (best option) , and RN at community college and work my way up to BSN on second year and figure it out later (backup plan) Summer 2020. It is painful and I cry every time thinking about this, but I cant just quit and trash all hard work out of window for the last 7-8 years trying. How MSN admission will look at my setback in PA school? what is your recommendation for me if any?

I like to hear more about Nursing tract. What nursing is different than PA gets to offer? Do you feel more confident and well equipped to be successful when in practice treating patients? Is the career fulfilling? are you be able to treat patients? What are the downside of being a nurse? 

Despite my messy transcript in my PA program, my GPA in Science is still above 3.66 and overall GPA is still above 3.5. Does my undergrad GPA speak for me at all if I  apply for MSN program? 

Look forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks for your time.

Sounds like questions to ask on a nursing forum or nursing programs.

Doesn't matter how you get there, you'll still be responsible for the medical knowledge and taking care of others.  I'd strongly evaluate if you'll be able to do that confidently even if you go the nursing route before you put .the time and money into it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joelseff said:

One of my classmates flunked out of our program and went to the nearby school where an online NP program was available. She got in and graduated a few months after us. She's a practicing NP now... So it's possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don’t think the NP door can ever be shut for someone. There is an online NP school somewhere in this country that will take your money no matter your circumstances

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don’t think the NP door can ever be shut for someone. There is an online NP school somewhere in this country that will take your money no matter your circumstances

Agreed...

These NP schools have a 97% average acceptance rate...they are the lowest rank NP schools though.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/2016-08-16/10-graduate-nursing-programs-with-the-highest-acceptance-rates

Top NP schools seems to be more selective and have a sub 30% at about 24% acceptance rate.

Meanwhile PA school acceptance rates are 34%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.accepted.com/how-to-get-accepted-to-physician-assistant-pa-programs/amp/

Couldn't find a breakdown of acceptance rates by ranking in my quick Google search but back when I began applying (early 2000's) it was much lower like 10% on average IIRC. I remember an old poster here (LesH) used to always tell me "get in where you fit in" he was a PD for an excellent but now defunct program (due to the masters requirement).

The school I attended according to one of the ADCOM that is a friend told me we had a 6-8% acceptance rate around that time. I actually applied 5x before I got in.

Some of the older folk here may remember single digit acceptance rates being more common.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Joelseff said:

One of my classmates flunked out of our program and went to the nearby school where an online NP program was available. She got in and graduated a few months after us. She's a practicing NP now... So it's possible.

Wow! do you just happen to know which school she went to? Was she a nurse before going to that school? I thought NP only takes nurses.

And thanks alot for your info 🙂

13 hours ago, ventana said:

had a student flunk out of myPA program

in same city he signed up for NP program soon there after

he is an NP now....

go figure....

I def will look into that option. Do you know what school he went to so I can see if that suits me too?

Too many nursing programs and tracks that I dont feel to know enough to pick the right ones that will take me where i want to go and not make me pay too much. 

and thanks alot for your time typing for me, 

Ya I would be so skeptical to go for some schools with high acceptant rates, just my ignorance really dont know if I am prepared enough to pass the NCLEX exam and jobs.

Would employers care so much for what school I go to if grading doesnt matter anymore? What is the key factor for employers pick one over the others?

But I stil put in an application for one of those school to be safe.

My classmate went to University of San Francisco (USF not UCSF). Flunked out of Stanford. She was a RN for 15 tears when she attended. Our program was VERY Fast paced, our didactic was done in half the time of the usual didactic year. (old PCAP program not the new Stanford Program)

As far as what jobs would require, where I used to work, they took anyone as long as they had experience. I'm sure school name recognition goes some ways if the school has a high rep but we had a university of Phoenix grad at our site.

I suggest you not ever mention flunking out of PA school to any of your job prospects though.

Also when looking for a school, I DO NOT recommend just getting in a school that only requires a pulse and your money. Look for a school with a track record of turning out good providers.ake sure they have QUALITY rotations. The NP schools I am familiar with only one had decent rotations. The rest had the student setup their own and this oftenade them find a friend who works in blah blah blah specialty that they pretty much shadow for the entire rotation. That's not learning the specialty...

Shadow some NPs and see how they work and find out where they went. Your PA school experience despite failing, should give you some leg up on the NP science curriculum which is not as in depth as the levels we learned in our didactic science classes. At leadt from my observation of NP students. I precepted NP students at 3 different local programs for 5 years and I found myself having to teach my NP students the basics of pathophysiology and pharmacology once they started their 1 yr rotation with me. My PA students (precepted PA students also) knew the basics at jump street. And no, the weren't just shadowing me.

Finally, I think someone mentioned it above. Remember that this career has a huge responsibility since we (PA/NP/Doc) care for pts at the top level. Make sure it lis really what you want. PA school was hell for a lot/most of us but it also made us tough and made us appreciate that not everyone can or should do it. Make sure you got that in you and fibd out why you failed. I know you said it was grades but why? Was it the crazy pace or were you not getting the material? Whatever it is, straighten it out and squash it so you can be a good provider.

Best wishes to you.

• Like 1

May I ask a sensitive question? Not in any effort to judge - just to understand.

Is English your first language? Are there any barriers to study?

Your grammar and diction suggest English is not your first language. I am curious if that has anything to do with studies, test scores, etc.

Just a curious question, not a judgment of any kind.

Are you an RN currently? Are you wanting to switch to RN and then go to NP?

How familiar are you with PA and NP overall?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Agreed...

These NP schools have a 97% average acceptance rate...they are the lowest rank NP schools though.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/2016-08-16/10-graduate-nursing-programs-with-the-highest-acceptance-rates

Top NP schools seems to be more selective and have a sub 30% at about 24% acceptance rate.

Meanwhile PA school acceptance rates are 34%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.accepted.com/how-to-get-accepted-to-physician-assistant-pa-programs/amp/

Couldn't find a breakdown of acceptance rates by ranking in my quick Google search but back when I began applying (early 2000's) it was much lower like 10% on average IIRC. I remember an old poster here (LesH) used to always tell me "get in where you fit in" he was a PD for an excellent but now defunct program (due to the masters requirement).

The school I attended according to one of the ADCOM that is a friend told me we had a 6-8% acceptance rate around that time. I actually applied 5x before I got in.

Some of the older folk here may remember single digit acceptance rates being more common.

My program isn’t in the top ten but has about a 2% acceptance rate. A few admission cycles ago there were 2,100 apps for 32 spots

also for the OP: I actually was wondering if English wasn’t your second language as well. Maybe you were just quickly banging out your post on your phone and made some grammatical mistakes, or are you ESL? I echo no judgement at all but maybe that contributed? Perhaps an area to look at and improve on.

If you want to be a clinician I think the NP path would be open to you. Just do your research on the programs you’re applying to.

Edited by lemurcatta
  • Like 1