Helping Veterans become PAs

Very good! I would love to see fellow medics and corpsman transitioning into PA school after their service. I think it is one of the best choices I ever made. Question: Are the PTCE grants a one-time deal, or can they be applied for yearly by schools?

To be honest I think this may be a one time deal, but the taskforce is really committed to making this work. The good news is that the programs awarded the grants have a 5 year award.

• 2 weeks later...

Do these helpful scholarships and grants apply to non medic/corpsman vets? I was a welder in the Navy and am taking the long road in getting my education done (currently doing my bachelors in biology, but have 2 more years until I apply to PA schools).

Do these helpful scholarships and grants apply to non medic/corpsman vets? I was a welder in the Navy and am taking the long road in getting my education done (currently doing my bachelors in biology, but have 2 more years until I apply to PA schools).

I think it's for all rates. The article didn't specify but it didn't say only medical rates/mos applied.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I have a question. I was a welder in the Navy for 5 years and am still on IRR. I have my CNA cert and was going to use that to get my HCE, but have been thinking about maybe going Reserve Corpsman instead for experience. Having served previously in the military, I know that you get outstanding training. I was just wondering if these sites really do help out corpsman and medics becoming PA's, then would it be more beneficial for me to do Reserve corpsman instead of CNA for experience? Or I could do both corpsman and CNA at university?

• 1 month later...

Tremendous amount of information, Thank you all! I am a Navy corpsman, discharging in a few weeks from service honorably! Since joining the fleet and working with my medical officer, also a PA, working as a PA has been my only goal. Two deployments to afghanistan further sealed this thought into my head to be working in an ER setting. Joining after high school has only one complication, most programs require bachelor's degree for articulation. Any information as to a quicker pipeline to achieving my goal? Starting college soon to finish the pre requisites that most programs are asking for !

There are still several schools that do not require a 4 yr degree. Many of these will still have a considerable amount of pre-req's though. Once you get out it would be a good idea to still work in healthcare for the continued HCE, & then start knocking out the pre-req's as you can. MEDEX has the least amount of pre-req's listed, but they also encourage you to keep taking science classes beyond the pre-req's, and they make up for that by usually requiring a lot more HCE than most schools. Here is a list of schools that do not require a 4yr degree that E offered in another post, so thank him for this, not me.

miami dade

sjvc

malcolm x

anne arundel

rcc (riverside)

stanford still has an a.s. option(I think) . they also have an ms option

yup:The PCA Program is a 21-month (seven quarters) PA program and leads to a Certificate of Clinical Proficiency from the Stanford University School of Medicine. Foothill College provides academic credit for all courses. Completion of the PCA program courses qualifies the student for an AS degree through Foothill College.

red rocks

Okay here's the deal. Check out these programs:

Baylor College of Medicine

Bay Path College

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Georgia Health Sciences University

Midwestern University

University of Nebraska

University of North Dakota

Northern Arizona University

Pacific University

University of South Alabama

University of Texas Health Science Center – San Antonio University of Washington

They are the HRSA Grantees that should be looking to recruit Vets. Always apply to all programs where you think it is a good fit for you. I'm just sharing the names of the programs that got training grants that had as one of the objectives: to recruit,enroll and graduate Vets. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

• 4 weeks later...

Baylor College of Medicine

Bay Path College

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Georgia Health Sciences University

Midwestern University

University of Nebraska

University of North Dakota

Northern Arizona University

Pacific University

University of South Alabama

University of Texas Health Science Center – San Antonio University of Washington

They are the HRSA Grantees that should be looking to recruit Vets. Always apply to all programs where you think it is a good fit for you. I'm just sharing the names of the programs that got training grants that had as one of the objectives: to recruit,enroll and graduate Vets. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

The University of Utah and..

The University of Washington...should both be added to this list. The are still following the MEDEX tradition and love vets.

Bay Path College

this is a new program in Western MA

Director is great

should be a great program

I will likely be a preceptor site (10+ yr PA, starting my own business, 4 years USAF)

Oh yeah and I am WAY bias towards helping our vets!

• 2 months later...
Tremendous amount of information, Thank you all! I am a Navy corpsman, discharging in a few weeks from service honorably! Since joining the fleet and working with my medical officer, also a PA, working as a PA has been my only goal. Two deployments to afghanistan further sealed this thought into my head to be working in an ER setting. Joining after high school has only one complication, most programs require bachelor's degree for articulation. Any information as to a quicker pipeline to achieving my goal? Starting college soon to finish the pre requisites that most programs are asking for !

Docreddy8404, congrats on your big transition, I'm an HM2 now in the reserves. I separated from active August 2011. Trevecca has a brand new program called "Medics in Medicine" which sounds like it might just be perfect for you. It is a 'bridge' program designed for corpsman/medics who have very little college credit. You will study at Trevecca as an undergrad for 3 semesters finishing all your science pre-reqs and so long as you maintain their minimum GPA you are guaranteed a spot in their PA school immediately following your 3 semesters. They give you a slew of Prior Learning Credit for your Corps School and experience. From here you enter the PA program and mid way through you are granted a BA in general sciences. Then after you complete PA school you ALSO get a Masters!!! Basically the only require 21 semester hours of actual college and a current SAT or ACT score. The app for this year is due January 15th so I would hurry! After you apply you still have to interview... but if you get in (WITHOUT ANY SCIENCES!!)... you also get into PA school - guaranteed!! You walk in with less then a year of school and no science, and walk out with a BS AND Masters, try beating that! Something to consider!

Call and ask to speak with Dr. Gerdom, he is their admission director and the most knowledgable about the new Medics in Medicine program.

Good luck shipmate!

http://www.trevecca.edu/adult-education/graduate-programs/physician-assistant/

Pa Program Phone number: 615-248-1225

For those that still don't get why Army Medics should be "Fast Tracked" to PA school...

Please watch "Band of Brothers" part 6 (six).

That episode focuses on the Military (Army) Combat Medic profession and tradition... and displays who "Doc" really is and how he operates...

Excellent point.

On another note, I was going to suggest that IPAP was a school that gave priority to military vets but nowadays it seems they are mostly looking for cadets, ROTC, and brand new non-deployed lieutenants (i.e. people who wouldn't know the first thing about military service).

Not a slight at you if you are in that crowd. I just think its the wrong direction for the program/corps. It's not 100% either. My platoon sergeant just got picked up (with one of my LORs!) but they are less and less looking for "Medics" and more for people who will make General one day.

Excellent point.

On another note, I was going to suggest that IPAP was a school that gave priority to military vets but nowadays it seems they are mostly looking for cadets, ROTC, and brand new non-deployed lieutenants (i.e. people who wouldn't know the first thing about military service).

Not a slight at you if you are in that crowd. I just think its the wrong direction for the program/corps. It's not 100% either. My platoon sergeant just got picked up (with one of my LORs!) but they are less and less looking for "Medics" and more for people who will make General one day.

A SAPA newsletter from a couple years ago gave a decent breakdown of the Army's IPAP demographics. 40% of the students were 68W. Another 24% were 68 series other than medic.

60% enlisted. 30% officer. 5% WO. 5% ROTC.

I was asking a current student some questions about their class and was told that only about half the class has been deployed.

Docreddy8404, congrats on your big transition, I'm an HM2 now in the reserves. I separated from active August 2011. Trevecca has a brand new program called "Medics in Medicine" which sounds like it might just be perfect for you. It is a 'bridge' program designed for corpsman/medics who have very little college credit. You will study at Trevecca as an undergrad for 3 semesters finishing all your science pre-reqs and so long as you maintain their minimum GPA you are guaranteed a spot in their PA school immediately following your 3 semesters. They give you a slew of Prior Learning Credit for your Corps School and experience. From here you enter the PA program and mid way through you are granted a BA in general sciences. Then after you complete PA school you ALSO get a Masters!!! Basically the only require 21 semester hours of actual college and a current SAT or ACT score. The app for this year is due January 15th so I would hurry! After you apply you still have to interview... but if you get in (WITHOUT ANY SCIENCES!!)... you also get into PA school - guaranteed!! You walk in with less then a year of school and no science, and walk out with a BS AND Masters, try beating that! Something to consider!

Call and ask to speak with Dr. Gerdom, he is their admission director and the most knowledgable about the new Medics in Medicine program.

Good luck shipmate!

http://www.trevecca.edu/adult-education/graduate-programs/physician-assistant/

Pa Program Phone number: 615-248-1225

Hi HM2PA,

I contacted the program today and was informed by the Associcate Professor that the program is discontinued. It's not a good day for me and other fellows veteran.

Archived