British Columbia

Hi, all. Anyone going to the Canadian PA conference in Victoria?

Candace Byers, PA-C

Hey, I didn't know anything about that one. Is there a link. I live about 3 miles from the Victoria ferry and I might be interested.

It is odd though, that they are having it here when there are virtually no PAs practicing in BC right now . . . right? I mean, I thought the majority of the civilian PAs were in Ontario.

Here is a link to the conference calendar - from there you can also access registration information etc.

Program-at-a-Glance

I'm toying with the idea of going myself....

This is the first time I've seen the CAOPA website and I they've got some impressive content. The slide show is well done.

PAs in the USA can join CAPA as an "international" PA for $100 annually.

I joined CAPA last week. I am in the Gulf Islands/Washington state, so am thrilled that the conference is happening so close and am looking forward to meeting other PA's practicing in Canada. I suspect holding the event in Victoria is a move to increase PA visibility in the province.

The current CAPA website design is very nice and relatively new, they're putting energy into it.

In terms of joining CAPA - it has personal applicability to me as I hope to practice in BC when the legislation for PAs comes through. It is, however, a way for PA's everywhere to support the current burgeoning of the profession here.

I joined CAPA last week. I am in the Gulf Islands/Washington state, so am thrilled that the conference is happening so close and am looking forward to meeting other PA's practicing in Canada. I suspect holding the event in Victoria is a move to increase PA visibility in the province.

The current CAPA website design is very nice and relatively new, they're putting energy into it.

In terms of joining CAPA - it has personal applicability to me as I hope to practice in BC when the legislation for PAs comes through. It is, however, a way for PA's everywhere to support the current burgeoning of the profession here.

So, I'm curious as where you practice. Since the Gulf Islands are in BC, that leaves just the San Juans and that's where I live.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all~

I'm a PA from the States, but possibly moving to Victoria, BC with my future husband. I am unable to find any concrete info on PA's in BC, but this blog seems to indicate you know something I don't.

Can you help me/give me the skinny on PA's in BC?

Thanks!

~Rachel

Hi all~

I'm a PA from the States, but possibly moving to Victoria, BC with my future husband. I am unable to find any concrete info on PA's in BC, but this blog seems to indicate you know something I don't.

Can you help me/give me the skinny on PA's in BC?

Thanks!

~Rachel

I don't know if PAs are being used in BC yet, but someone more informed might chime in. As an alternative (and I live in the US but about 1 1/2 miles from the Victoria ferry), is looking into a job in Friday Harbor ( on San Juan Island). There is a commute, 13 miles?, to Sidney where you can catch the ferry for the 30-45 minute ride to Friday Harbor. As a walk on (take a bike if you must) the price wouldn't be too much.

I know some of the docs in Friday Harbor and an NP who was flying out 3 days a week. I can put you in touch with them. It could add complications, living in BC but working in the US, but there may (or may not) be some tax advantages. Anyway, just a thought.

As it stands, there have been meetings with the provincial Ministry of Health, BCMA, CAPA and others trying to lay the ground work to get a pilot project going...it's still a "watch and shoot" sort of scenario at the moment though. The BCMA has published a position paper supporting the deployment of PA's within the province, we're just waiting. So for now, jmj's suggestion is something to look at, as well there are several positions that open up in Bellingham and other border cities if you have US/Wash St licensure. Right now, the most we get to do outside the military is our Maintenance of Clinical Skills shifts in the Victoria ER's.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my dream to live in BC and practice in Washington (I live in rural BC about 5 min from the border) until PA's can officially practice in BC. I had sent some e-mail's back and forth with the president of the western chapter of CAPA and basically there are only PA's in the military mainly in Victoria. However there was some vagueness (is that even a word?) about PA's practicing under other titles. Funny enough, the way I heard about PA's is that a friend of mine was shadowing a doctor who had a PA working for him in rural BC. Other than that I haven't heard of anything other PA's but I have a suspicion that there are a few around but I'm not sure the legalities and titles they are going by. I think eventually it will happen and until then I am very lucky that when I finish school (still haven't applied) I will be living right around the border :).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
As it stands, PA's don't work in Vic or Van outside of the military.

SK

Yep....

Was just in Vic-BC about 2 months ago...

Happened to sit and chat with a few Canadian Military medics who were there for some parade/celebration.

Also... I'd imagine that any BC PA conference would be a "sausage fest"... since the only PAs are dudes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived