Baylor College of Medicine - 2019/2020 Application Cycle

16 hours ago, adrienneorlando said:

Yes definitely on board for a Facebook page being made! I’m in a suburb of Houston and am working on moving to the city and I’m feeling a little overwhelmed because there are SO many options downtown. Can’t wait to meet everyone 🙂

Has anyone gotten an email about the background check yet?? Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything! Congrats to those accepted, I can’t wait to meet everyone! 

On 1/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, cnh032 said:

Would anyone mind recommending anything or sharing tips for those that are applying for the 2020-2021 cohort.

If you're a recent grad, what really helped me was visiting my undergrad health professions office to find the weakest points in my app to work on during gap year. Also apply as early as you can. Submitting in august definitely didn't help my odds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CO19PA said:

If you're a recent grad, what really helped me was visiting my undergrad health professions office to find the weakest points in my app to work on during gap year. Also apply as early as you can. Submitting in august definitely didn't help my odds.

Thank you!!!

On 2/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, a1023 said:

Did any accepted students decide not to put down a deposit/does anyone know if we get updates on this information? Trying to determine chances of the waitlist moving 🙂

Looking at previous cycles, people were emailing/ calling for updates. I emailed yesterday to find out how things looked now that the deposit deadline has passed but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm somewhere between 1-10 on the alternate list and hoping some people declined/ will decline their offers.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:24 PM, adrienneorlando said:

Yes definitely on board for a Facebook page being made! I’m in a suburb of Houston and am working on moving to the city and I’m feeling a little overwhelmed because there are SO many options downtown. Can’t wait to meet everyone 🙂

Yes, hope the Facebook page is made soon! And yes there are a ton of options to pick from as to where to live downtown. When I interviewed, the students said to live no more than two miles away if you do decide to live close by so that it easy to walk/bike/take the public transportation. Hopefully the current students will be in contact soon so that we can go ahead and start making arrangements to move!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mumbowza said:

Hey Everyone! I emailed Diana, they will invite us to a facebook page sometime in march so that we can be in contact with the first year students! I'll also be moving down to Houston from Utah at the end of May. I would love to meet as many of you as I can before we begin the 2.5 year journey! 

I will also be moving down in May! Would love to meet up then! 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, MckenzieLoos said:

Any good suggestions for housing near campus? Or areas to stay away from? 

Personally I really like the Midtown and Montrose neighborhoods because they're close enough to the medical center that you could ride the metro rail or bus in and a lot of my favorite bars and restaurants are near by. There are some nice apartments in the medical center that are within walking distance from the school (I've heard some popular ones with med students are around Greenbriar Dr and Main St) but there isn't much to actually go out and do in the medical center. Not that I expect to be having a lot of time to go out while I'm in school haha but for me I think it would be nice to have some options near by! I've also heard the Upper Kirby area is nice and it's pretty close by but I haven't actually looked into it much myself. I hope they send out that housing document that the students made soon because I would love to hear their recommendations too! But let me know if you have any questions about specific areas and I can try to help 🙂 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, picklechips said:

Personally I really like the Midtown and Montrose neighborhoods because they're close enough to the medical center that you could ride the metro rail or bus in and a lot of my favorite bars and restaurants are near by. There are some nice apartments in the medical center that are within walking distance from the school (I've heard some popular ones with med students are around Greenbriar Dr and Main St) but there isn't much to actually go out and do in the medical center. Not that I expect to be having a lot of time to go out while I'm in school haha but for me I think it would be nice to have some options near by! I've also heard the Upper Kirby area is nice and it's pretty close by but I haven't actually looked into it much myself. I hope they send out that housing document that the students made soon because I would love to hear their recommendations too! But let me know if you have any questions about specific areas and I can try to help 🙂 

Thanks for the info! That does help! Coming into a new city, it can be hard to get your bearings of everything that is around or what it is like (especially for someone who has never lived in a big city before).