How would you handle knowing ALot more then you doc?

I came into addiction med treatment about 5 yrs ago as a part of my job.  They only do vivitrol at my job.  I got another per diem in addiction treatment and have been waivered for a few years now.  

Current job I am now on my third med director/CP

No X training (admin has now told him he must get waiver as we are going to start MAT bup program) 

doc has has no desire to learn   Wants to fly under radar and not make waves with admin (while our patients have forced abstinence-prison medicine)  

i have advocated to admin (getting myself in a tiny bit of trouble but well worth it)  and best part is we are changing policy  

now the CP has to rewrite policy which she has no friggin idea about   Has refused education from local highly respected docs   And in general is close minded (came to medicine late, was some type of engineer for first 25 yrs of career)  

i have respect for what docs go through and their knowledge base, but how do you handle it when you clearly know far more then your CP?  And she is not open any type of guidance?

I don't think she wants a friend.  But I would do a one on one with her and offer help in a non condescending manner.  If this fails then may be time to find another CP.  Addiction medicine is tricky at best to do the right thing and stay out of prison at the same time.  I know a couple of PAs that got caught up in a situation.  Ventana, you are seasoned PA and will make the right choices.  IMHO

I have tried to offer education, refused

tried to link with local preceptors (also doc's - maybe that would help)   refused

now it is just administration forcing her to do it.....   

I have already spoken with my state board so they are aware of situation and I am following their advice to protect my license...

crazy that for all this "we are not doctors" talk it stinks to be attached to one that is holding care delivery back.....

I have been in that situation and it sucked. 

Doc ten yrs younger than me - timid, restrained- board certified but not progressive or of the mind to speak up.

My skills were far advanced from hers and she had no training in suturing or wounds beyond intern year. 

It was a tough go because I could handle all comers and she turfed to ER in a heartbeat. 

Admin supported her MD over my seasoned PA - a no win situation.

You are more patient than I could be - hope they replace the doc so you can keep doing good work.

We deal with this every July in the military. GMO is the term for them. Docs who have finished intern/transition year but were not picked up or removed from residency. They are sent out to units as PCMs until they match for residency or finish the four year obligation. Very hit and miss. Some are really open to help. Others want no part, to do the bare minimum and GTFO. 

Best you can do is offer without making her look bad. Have a decent working relationship. Attempt to mentor with the understanding it may fall on deaf ears. Likely this position will be a temp position for them in transition. 

Good luck!

Archived