Out of State Friendly PA school

Hello, I am a re-applicant and I am looking at applying to schools in the South/Southeastern US (Louisiana resident) that don't heavily prefer in-state. I believe this is part of the reason I did not get in last cycle. I don't want to apply to a program only to find out they only accept 2 or 3 out of state applicants. Any program suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go to program websites.  Many will list in state vs out of state accepted students.  This also usually only applies to public institutions.

Some will state they only accept applicants from certain states.

Otherwise this should REALLY not be an issue.  Make sure you've honestly evaluated your prior application.

Edited by MT2PA
  • Upvote 1

Not to stir the pot but I agree with OP that it could be PART of a rejection. I know a number of schools here in the west that explicitly state they give preference to in-state applicants. Also, I applied to a school in New Mexico who didn't explicitly state such, but after I was rejected they told me that they only accepted five out of state students that cycle. 

I do know that when I was looking some programs they did state in the class profile the % of in state vs out of state and it showed a majority of accepted students were in state.  I know for Campbell where I will be starting in July we did have students in the class from Florida, Texas, Utah but I do not know the breakdown of in state vs out of state.  Best of luck this year applying 🙂

• 3 weeks later...