Hi there everyone! I am thinking about getting a dog at some point this summer from a rescue.  I have had dogs my entire life and recently lost my last one, and really miss having one around.  My only reservation to getting one is PA school- people say its impossible to have a dog during and act like you have absolutely no time for anything but studying constantly. Is this true? Can anyone who has had a dog or contemplated having a dog in PA school and decided against it give me any advice? I have already thought about the whole apartment-living-vs.-exercise debate and think I could make it work.  Opinions? Also, if it helps at all, I am not looking to get a super high-energy breed like an aussie/border collie/GSP/etc, and won't be starting PA school until 2021 at the earliest.

Sure: it COULD work, or it could be another pain in the neck thing that you always have to consider whenever you want to be somewhere else to study or whatnot. Or maybe it will be the creature that is still glad to see you even when you do poorly on an exam.

It's a personal decision. 

• Like 1

I have a dog. I don’t have a ton of extra time to spend with her, but my husband helps, and she is low energy. If you do get a rescue dog, a low energy senior dog may be a good choice because I’m sure they would appreciate having a good home and they also like to sleep a lot and don’t require as many walks etc 🙂 I’m a big advocate for senior dogs- they have a lot to offer and a lot of people bypass them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think a lot of it depends what kind of family support you have. Having a dog in didactic was fine- a good break from studying, excuse to exercise. However, our school sent us all over for rotations so for some of them I had to find somewhere to stay (rotation was 4+hours from my apartment). In that case, my dog went to my parents for that rotation block. Not sure how someone could swing it without similar support.

I have found it do-able. I have my 4 year old Golden Retriever with me in PA school. I am only 4 months into the program, but I have found plenty of time to spend with him. However, if you intend to adopt a puppy, I would not recommend. Don't get me wrong, my golden is still FULL of energy, but I think he is doing just fine with our new schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've also found it manageable to have a dog while in school.  However, I've had him for a long time so he's been with me all over the country and in many different situations.  A low key dog would be the best option.  I have a dog walker on hand for longer days as well.  I'm starting clinical year shortly and expect he will have to stay with my parents for a month here and there.

• 5 weeks later...

I've had a dog all of PA school.  2 months till graduation!!  It was fine during didactic year.  Clinical year is tough because our school requires at least rotation that is outside of the area.  However, despite the trouble- having my doggie has made the past two years a better experience, and dogs are so supportive!

Yes, couldn't agree more - dogs are supportive. In fact they can be stress busters through what will be a stressful period academically. Just try an get a breed which is not prone to illness. Get a sturdy and happy dog. This makes it quite convenient even when they have to be left behind. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really wanted one, as my former dog got hit by a car 1 year before school started. I did my best to take time with the decision and although i know i would have cared for it well, i ultimately am glad i didn't get one. I had many nights when i got home from a non-negotiably long day of class and gave thanks I didn't leave a poor dog alone that whole time. It was easier to find housing for my rotations without the canine companion too. Now, when I'm settled into my new job and have a better idea of my schedule, i will be much more prepared to be a dog mom. But thats just me :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Another dog owner chiming in! I had dogs when I applied and rehoming them just wasn't something I was willing to do. It can be tough at times for the reasons others have mentioned (long days, studying, clinicals), but it's definitely feasible. If you have family or a classmate you can enlist to care for them when you're not around, that's great; I also recommend finding a good dog-walker/day care (and save up a pup fund). I'm almost through with school and it definitely would have been easier (and cheaper) without dogs, but the mental break and support they give more than compensates for it -- which, honestly, could be said about pets in general. Good luck!