Pharmacy Permissions

I have started receiving requests from pharmacies for permission to fill prescriptions with generic form of medication (i.e. crestor prescribed and asking permission to fill with rosuvastatin).  Isn't it law to substitute the generic form unless prescriber specifically writes "DAW" (dispense as written)?  Also, shouldn't they also read the script when I state fill with any covered medications (i.e. ventolin MDI, and I write "please substitute any albuterol MDI covered by insurance" on note to pharmacy line)?

I'm asking before I call pharmacy out of frustration... 

If we want the patient to have name brand we have to write it in our own handwriting one the prescription "name brand necessary". Oddly the only calls I have gotten recently was a pharmacist asking to sub name brand for generic because the insurance (Medicaid) would only pay for name brand. Don't ask me why....

But what is the fun in that?  But seriously - sometimes giving credence to a stupid question is not the way to handle it.  they will just keep calling and calling (is what I have found)  Another pharmacy, another pharmacist, another pharma tech, then the front office person, then corporate..... blah blah blah.  Just let them fill the legal script you provided - if they have questions THEY can look up the state law on interchange.  Just make sure you know the state law on interchange 100% so that you are positive in the script you write. 

I think you may misunderstand.  It's not calling to give a verbal order.  It's calling them to ask them to read the prescription back to me, and when they read the specific notation I wrote...asking, "Then what is your question and why is my patient still waiting for their prescription?"

1 hour ago, mcclane said:

I don't have time to read this now, but:

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/generic-substitution-laws

Thank you...shows that my state is a "permissive" substitution - meaning a pharmacist can but is not required.  Good to know!  But, in this case they should have read and followed my written note regarding the substitution.

Archived