Employment after being sued

The thread about the impact of being sued ended with a question about employability after being sued.  Here's my experience for N=1 data.

I do EM.  I was sued along with my attending and others.  The plaintiff ultimately dropped the suit after they could only find 1 expert to support their case and our attorneys found many to support our actions.  Since then I've gotten several PT and 1 FT job, including being credentialed at 2 different hospitals and licensed in another state.  I had to mention it, but it was no barrier.  The only place where it was a hassle was in getting a mortgage.  The lender asked if I was a defendant in any lawsuit and gave me poorer terms, despite a letter from my attorney about the 1 million $ of medmal coverage and the dubious nature of the complaint.  I wound up switching lenders.

11 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

The thread about the impact of being sued ended with a question about employability after being sued.  Here's my experience for N=1 data.

I do EM.  I was sued along with my attending and others.  The plaintiff ultimately dropped the suit after they could only find 1 expert to support their case and our attorneys found many to support our actions.  Since then I've gotten several PT and 1 FT job, including being credentialed at 2 different hospitals and licensed in another state.  I had to mention it, but it was no barrier.  The only place where it was a hassle was in getting a mortgage.  The lender asked if I was a defendant in any lawsuit and gave me poorer terms, despite a letter from my attorney about the 1 million $ of medmal coverage and the dubious nature of the complaint.  I wound up switching lenders.

Every Locum agency I worked for or started to credential at would ask me this question in the first 5 minutes.  They all said the same thing, we can not credential you with a lawsuit in your background.  It was a non-starter regardless of outcome.  Just fyi as it relates to doing locums.

I know so many people who have been named in a suit in the traditional "sue everyone" mentality of malpractice attorneys it boggles the mind. I was named in a suit many years ago because I had the same last name of someone who saw the patient. I never saw them. Took about 2 years to get dropped from the suit.

I can't really speak to a more global effect of getting sued but so many people have been sued at one point in time that to just completely eliminate that labor pool would be foolish. Most employers want to know what the suit was about, what your involvement was, and what the outcome was. I think there is a fairly practical approach to evaluating these type candidates.

As I have posted in other threads, I had a seven year agonizing experience with a lawsuit coming from ortho.

At the last minute - quite literally, I was completely dropped as a defendant.

The judge noted in documentation that I could NEVER be brought up on the same issue again and could not be compelled to testify regarding this patient's issue.

Despite this, I have to check YES to that stupid box on the state license and any credentialing asking if I have EVER been NAMED. Yes, I have been named but dropped. I have a glorious letter from my attorney stating all the legal jargon about being dropped, no culpability, no liability, no wrongdoing, etc. but am faced with a CAREER LONG task of answering this idiotic issue.

It has never harmed me personally on finances and has never harmed my employability. It was a psychological nightmare for those seven years, however.

It has left me with a really bad taste for our legal system and plaintiff attorneys. My lawyer is a rockstar!!.

Tort reform is a no-brainer in my book - frivolous, drawn out or otherwise inane lawsuits need to be ended.

Several of my colleagues and even a few attorneys have told me again and again that if you do it right long enough you will peeve someone into suing whether you did anything or not because right or good or honorable doesn't make some folks happy and a lawsuit is their way of messing with you for revenge. And that, my friends, just sucks.

4 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

As I have posted in other threads, I had a seven year agonizing experience with a lawsuit coming from ortho.

Despite this, I have to check YES to that stupid box on the state license and any credentialing asking if I have EVER been NAMED. 

It has never harmed me personally on finances and has never harmed my employability. It was a psychological nightmare for those seven years, however.

The worst part of medicine and trying to help people is summed up in these few lines.....

In Texas they treat you like a damn Felon even if named....

Archived