Would you treat this person or call 911?

19 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

This happened to me on a flight to Hawaii after I graduated and was practicing for about 6 mos. I was the first to step up but then an EMT and an ER Nurse came up and then a Surgeon who was the chief at a hospital in Hawaii-same hospital as the ER RN. Pt was middle aged australian drunk out of his mind and severely dehydrated with palps and CP. EKG was NL. I put him in the back of the plane put him on O2, started an IV and pushed a few bags of NSS and he felt better. the Nurse EMT and MD stepped up after all this was done lol. I had the doc talk to the Hawaiian airlines office on the phone instead of me because they were asking for my malpractice insurance info and i really did not know it was since i was a new grad.  The pt was on a binge drinking holiday with his wife. Arrived in SF, drunk from Las Vegas where they had been drinking a lot per the wife and heading to Maui drinking the whole way lol. 

All I got was a thank you letter from Hawaiian Airlines...Missed my meal, movie and No voucher, not even an extra POG juice 😞  

I hate it when they short you one of their juice containers.  They don’t fly out of DFW so I only catch them when Island hopping.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Joelseff said:

This happened to me on a flight to Hawaii after I graduated and was practicing for about 6 mos. I was the first to step up but then an EMT and an ER Nurse came up and then a Surgeon who was the chief at a hospital in Hawaii-same hospital as the ER RN. Pt was middle aged australian drunk out of his mind and severely dehydrated with palps and CP. EKG was NL. I put him in the back of the plane put him on O2, started an IV and pushed a few bags of NSS and he felt better. the Nurse EMT and MD stepped up after all this was done lol. I had the doc talk to the Hawaiian airlines office on the phone instead of me because they were asking for my malpractice insurance info and i really did not know it was since i was a new grad.  The pt was on a binge drinking holiday with his wife. Arrived in SF, drunk from Las Vegas where they had been drinking a lot per the wife and heading to Maui drinking the whole way lol. 

All I got was a thank you letter from Hawaiian Airlines...Missed my meal, movie and No voucher, not even an extra POG juice 😞  

They asked you for malpractice info?! I would have crapped my pants... like... why do you need that as a Good Samaritan?

They asked you for malpractice info?! I would have crapped my pants... like... why do you need that as a Good Samaritan?

Yeah I thought it was weird and I was only 6 mos out of school so it freaked me out a little. That's why I asked the Surgeon guy to talk to them since I was monitoring the pt and his IV. He seemed not to be fazed by it. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, ERCat said:

See it's crap like this that restrains providers of good will from helping people.  It's just not worth being sued over. Having said that, I've done it as well, not on a flight but at a car dealership lol. 

• Administrator

Wait wait wait...  Check my logic here.

Air carriers are federally overseen.  Air emergencies are handled under NIMS.

Under NIMS/ICS, the first responder to any incident (e.g., the flight attendant) is the de facto IC until command is transferred.

The IC is authorized to order resources, and, in doing so, obligate their organization to pay for those resources.

So, when they overhead page for a medical provider, they may THINK they're asking for volunteers, but what they're ACTUALLY doing is obligating the airline to pay those medical providers whatever rate they, as responding resources, set.

Free flight vouchers? Have you seen how much things are marked up on an incident?

Archived