Biochem or Organic Chem? Which is “easier”

Guest HanSolo

Biochem = memorization

Organic = learning and applying a language, in 3D, with a lot of rules

Personally, I liked organic a lot more than biochem, but found biochem to be significantly easier. 

This is difficult, because although Biochemistry was easier for me, it required a base of Organic Chemistry to understand (and it was a co-requisite at my school). Organic Chemistry 1 was more intellectually stimulating than Biochem. Although Organic Chemistry 2 was the worst! I would highly recommend taking both, to not limit yourself to which schools you are able to apply to.

keep in mind that even in 2018 there are plenty of programs that require NEITHER, that was one of my big decision trees, although only 2 of 54(the 2 ms programs) required it back in the day. . If I had taken either or both I would have applied to medschool. certainly take them if you like chem, but realize you don't have to(and yes, this will cut out probably 60% of the current programs for you). my program at Drexel still does not require either. there is no ochem or biochem on pance or panre. they will teach you all the functional biochem you need in PA school in physiology, clinical medicine, and pharmacology courses. . 

I do not think I would have done as well in biochemistry without a basic organic chemistry understanding. However, there are several programs that do not require either. Try searching using this website to search by prerequisites: http://paprogramsearch.com

5 hours ago, SLPmom said:

I tried researching Drexel and can’t find their prereq list?

On the Drexel PA program website click on the "Admissions" tab. Scroll down and click on the yellow arrow next to the "Prerequisite Course Information" header. It looks like they require Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology, General Biology, General Chemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, and Medical Terminology.

7 hours ago, SLPmom said:

Hi. Thanks for your response. I tried researching Drexel and can’t find their prereq list? Does this program have an online option?

only Yale, UND, and some wisconsin program have online options. Drexel's prereqs are here:

Prerequisite Coursework Required for Degreed and Pending Degree Applicants:
*Please note that all credits listed are the minimum semester credits hours (SCH); no grades lower than "B-" will be accepted.

• Psychology (3-4 SCH): One course in General/Introductory, Developmental, or Abnormal Psychology
  • Human Anatomy and Physiology with Labs (8 SCH): Regardless of the number of credits, the requirement is the complete study of the anatomy and physiology of all the major human bodily systems. Typically, this requires either two semester-long or three quarter-long courses with laboratory components to accomplish. Alternatively, a complete course in human anatomy with lab and a complete course in human physiology (with or without lab) may satisfy the requirement provided that together the two courses also constitute the complete study of the anatomy and physiology of all the major human bodily systems.
    • Exercise Physiology does not satisfy this requirement.
    • It is strongly recommended that anatomy and physiology coursework be completed within three to five years of application.
  • General Biology with Labs (8 SCH): Regardless of the number of credits, the course sequence must constitute a complete general study of a collegiate, year-long, survey course of biology. Typically, this requires either two semester-long courses or three quarter-long courses to accomplish.
  • General Chemistry with Lab (4 SCH): At least one course in general, inorganic college-level chemistry.
  • General or Medical Microbiology - Preferably with Lab (3-4 SCH): Regardless of the number of credits, the course or course sequence must provide collective study of all the major constituent organisms included in general microbiology.
    • Individual courses in bacteriology, virology, mycology, or parasitology do not satisfy this requirement.
  • General or Medical Genetics - Preferably with Lab (3-4 SCH): One course
  • Medical Terminology (1-3 SCH): This must be a course dedicated to medical terminology. A course containing medical terminology as only one component/unit/module of the course curriculum will not satisfy this requirement.

They are on their site. click prerequisite course information

Archived