Should I stay at a HORRIBLE job just to avoid making my resume even longer?

Hey all...I already posted a similar question, but disappointingly got very few answers...and I have some more detail. So I apologize if it's repetitive.

I've got 5 PA jobs listed on my resume in the past six years, including my current job (in reality, it's 7, but I left out two irrelevant early ones). My reasons for leaving the prior jobs are 100% legit...changed specialty, locums contract ended, I moved states, etc. The job prior to the current one, I spent a year at, so i'm not a flake. I've been at the current job for about 6 months.

Alas, my current job is horrible, gosh-awful, and I simply cannot continue there as I might actually lose my mind.  I've gotta jump ship. If you are curious, it's a new clinic, which sees zero patients per week....yes, zero...this absent patient load has not increased one bit and there is no chance that it will ever increase, due to a horrendous location and foolish "novel" business plan...so I sit 12 hours a day in a back office doing absolutely nothing (besides YouTube) with almost no one to converse with. Every shift. Shift after shift. Week after week. I literally cannot remember when my last patient was.)

But...here's the thing.  Spouse and I are planning on moving about an hour north, some time in the not-too-distant future, and unless I can find my dream "forever" job, right now, halfway between current town and future town (or otherwise reasonably located), I might have to add yet another job to the list...namely, my immediate next one...thus making the list even longer (6 jobs) well before I finally try applying for my "forever job".

My alternative option, of course, is to  continue working and waiting it out (or quit and wait it out, really considering that one, that's how mind-numbing this job is), even if it takes months, so that I can limit the ever-growing list on my resume.  of course, it's quite likely i'll go nuts at this place if I wait it out, but that's the risk.

At what point will prospective employers look at my job list and go "hmmm...what's this about" without even giving me a chance to explain at interview? Are 5 jobs in 6 years, or what will likely be 6 jobs in 7 or 8 years,  a true "red flag" in this day and age of job-hopping and post-depression economic upheaval, or is it not uncommon? And as well, considering I am still early in my career and have legitimate reasons for non-establishment (recently married, moved states, trying to find our place)? Is it enough of an issue that I should really wait it out, just to keep the list shorter?

Thanks all.

5 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Life is too short to take a job you hate. Just think things through more before you actually take the next one.

That you are planning to move somewhere before you figure out where you will be working is not an example of good planning.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you understand my post. I am not going to a bad job, I am at a bad that job which I have already taken and turns out to be bad. Furthermore, your comment about moving and planning is a little bit insulting. This was not a result of poor planning, this was a result of Life Changes, and the fact that we cannot move now because of my spouse's job and have to wait a year.

really not sure what the point of your answer was, as it does not seem to address a single question I had or point I made.

As someone who does the interviewing and hiring in a large UC, 5 jobs in 6 years as well as 6 jobs in 7 years would make me raise an eyebrow. When meeting potential candidates, I certainly don't expect them joining the team for the long haul just given the nature of the UC beast, but I'd be worried about what has caused you to jump ship a few times (although sounds as if your job changes had legit reasons).

That said, your skills are going to go belly up if you're not seeing patients consistently so that's got to be taken into account. I don't have an easy answer for you other than you'll need a spectacular cover letter that takes ownership of the multiple jobs and helps to cement your argument (recently married, looking to stay in one place with your new partner, etc).

Hope that helps.

Life is short. Find something to do that you like. Getting paid for doing nothing would drive me mad. It is also unsustainable so the position will fold at some point. Start planning your move.

Yes that many jobs that fast is a red flag. I was bitching about someone one day and my wife, who is smarter than me in every way possible, said "it can't always be everyone else." Her point was I needed to spend some time looking inward and figure out what is going on with me that made these interactions so unpleasant. So dissect your jobs and the reasons for leaving them carefully and with an open mind. Be honest with yourself and see what can be done better internally and externally so the next job is a better fit. Look for a better job but always be looking at how you can improve yourself or change your perspective to improve every aspect of your work.

The nice thing about having a job and looking to change is you have a job. Don't resign or leave until you have an offer in hand somewhere else in a position that suits you better. Think about what a prospective employer will ask about your history and have a practiced answer that doesn't sound too rehearsed. 

Good luck. I hope you stick the landing.

This may not be exactly on track with what you're looking for in a response, but having a long list of jobs doesn't need to be entirely a liability if they're a mix of locums and permanent jobs.  On the advice of a recruiter years ago, I divided my CV into permanent and locums positions, which clarified that I was not a job hopper.

1 hour ago, beattie228 said:

As someone who does the interviewing and hiring in a large UC, 5 jobs in 6 years as well as 6 jobs in 7 years would make me raise an eyebrow. When meeting potential candidates, I certainly don't expect them joining the team for the long haul just given the nature of the UC beast, but I'd be worried about what has caused you to jump ship a few times (although sounds as if your job changes had legit reasons).

That said, your skills are going to go belly up if you're not seeing patients consistently so that's got to be taken into account. I don't have an easy answer for you other than you'll need a spectacular cover letter that takes ownership of the multiple jobs and helps to cement your argument (recently married, looking to stay in one place with your new partner, etc).

Hope that helps.

Thank you! Yeah, my cover letter tries to explain as best I can, in one page.

33 minutes ago, weezianna said:

This may not be exactly on track with what you're looking for in a response, but having a long list of jobs doesn't need to be entirely a liability if they're a mix of locums and permanent jobs.  On the advice of a recruiter years ago, I divided my CV into permanent and locums positions, which clarified that I was not a job hopper.

That's a good idea, thanks!

I understand that you are trying to  leave a horrible job; I'm saying that, to me, that's fine. That's why I said that life is too short to stay in a terrible job.

Obviously I don't know very much about you. My thought that you were already planning on moving was confusing and I did not realize that there were other reasons besides you just want to move wherever.

If you want to be angry with me because I don't understand all the untransmitted facts about your life, I can live with that. Right now though, some networking could help you and I suggest you cut us out here some slack if you want ours.

23 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I understand that you are trying to  leave a horrible job; I'm saying that, to me, that's fine. That's why I said that life is too short to stay in a terrible job.

Obviously I don't know very much about you. My thought that you were already planning on moving was confusing and I did not realize that there were other reasons besides you just want to move wherever.

If you want to be angry with me because I don't understand all the untransmitted facts about your life, I can live with that. Right now though, some networking could help you and I suggest you cut us out here some slack if you want ours.

Sorry if I overreacted. Situation is stressing me out and no one around me  seems to really know the best move...if there is any.

• Administrator

Things to do in a clinic where no patients ever show up:
- Update Wikipedia articles on rare disease states.
- Use UpToDate for the above, and get all your necessary CME while doing so.
- Practice whichever arbitrary skill you want to get great at (e.g., one handed suture ties)
- Become a healer in your favorite online MMORPG--World of Warcraft or whatever--to practice your telemedicine bedside manner.

Well, that's all the ideas I have for now.  I might actually have some useful ones at some point, but for now, I hope I got a chuckle out of you...

Unfortunately, yes, as others have mentioned that is enough job hopping to cause employers to pause.  Whether they give you a chance to explain yourself may vary.  I don't know that HR would auto-reject you based on that but once your resume gets to a hiring manager...they will definitely consider it.

How soon is the 'near future' that you may be moving 1 hr north?  Frankly, if you know you are 100% moving just start looking for positions there.  As I'm sure you've experienced the process can take time, who knows how long credentialing will take, etc etc.  Could mean you'll have to deal with some personal decisions like commuting or moving before your spouse does but it seems like it would solve your question about adding too many jobs to the resume.  Personally I'd keep working the horrible job just to keep the income and no resume gap (you're more appealing as a candidate if you're already working usually) but maybe once all the plans are in motion you'll feel comfortable enough to quit and give yourself a break between positions.

Archived