Accepted to med school...but very hesitant

Hey everyone,

So I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was accepted to medical school (didn't apply to PA though) this year and am having the hardest time deciding whether or not I am really willing to commit to the training and lifestyle of a physician (I know it sounds ridiculous and you're probably thinking- why the heck did you apply to med school then) To be honest, it really was something that I wanted and worked very hard for these past 3 years. Within the last year, however, my priorities have changed and I really have begun to enjoy having more of a balance in my life as Ive finished up all the prereqs and have some more free time as I am about to graduate college. I am not in any way saying that going PA would be an easier way out, but it is true that I would be done with school sooner and would not have the demands of a residency. I have 1000+hours of HCE as a CNA med surg floor, shadowed docs and PAs, and still cannot for the life of me decide. I have weighed every single pro and con about 1000 times, yet still am split 50/50 on what to do.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom in helping me make a decision? I realize that I can't base my decision on other peoples' opinions, but any insight will help me decide what's best.

Thanks!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

So I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was accepted to medical school (didn't apply to PA though) this year and am having the hardest time deciding whether or not I am really willing to commit to the training and lifestyle of a physician (I know it sounds ridiculous and you're probably thinking- why the heck did you apply to med school then) To be honest, it really was something that I wanted and worked very hard for these past 3 years. Within the last year, however, my priorities have changed and I really have begun to enjoy having more of a balance in my life as Ive finished up all the prereqs and have some more free time as I am about to graduate college. I am not in any way saying that going PA would be an easier way out, but it is true that I would be done with school sooner and would not have the demands of a residency. I have 1000+hours of HCE as a CNA med surg floor, shadowed docs and PAs, and still cannot for the life of me decide. I have weighed every single pro and con about 1000 times, yet still am split 50/50 on what to do.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom in helping me make a decision? I realize that I can't base my decision on other peoples' opinions, but any insight will help me decide what's best.

Thanks!!

Thats a tough decision, and you're likely to get answers telling you to do both, and again, you'll be split 50/50. Don't think that just because you got into to med school, that PA school is a given. What happens if you spend the next 3-4 years trying to get into PA school after denying med school? Is it still worth it? If your only motivation for PA school is less time commitment and no residency, I'd seriously reconsider.

Thats a tough decision, and you're likely to get answers telling you to do both, and again, you'll be split 50/50. Don't think that just because you got into to med school, that PA school is a given. What happens if you spend the next 3-4 years trying to get into PA school after denying med school? Is it still worth it? If your only motivation for PA school is less time commitment and no residency, I'd seriously reconsider.

I would take the acceptance I had in hand. Like has been said, one is not a guarantee of the other. Unless you can defer the acceptance to next year, I would not hesitate to go to med school.

Secondly, and you seem to know this, PA school is not a walk in the park and will require as much of your time as med school, of course for 2-2.5 years vs 4. PAs also do not work any less than MD/DO in practice. So don't assume a better lifestyle if you go PA. That is more dependent on the specialty you choose in either. I would just choose a shorter, more lifestyle suited specialty and make twice the pay than shave of a few years.

I would take the acceptance I had in hand. Like has been said, one is not a guarantee of the other. Unless you can defer the acceptance to next year, I would not hesitate to go to med school.

Secondly, and you seem to know this, PA school is not a walk in the park and will require as much of your time as med school, of course for 2-2.5 years vs 4. PAs also do not work any less than MD/DO in practice. So don't assume a better lifestyle if you go PA. That is more dependent on the specialty you choose in either. I would just choose a shorter, more lifestyle suited specialty and make twice the pay than shave of a few years.

go to med school. yes, it will be tough for a few years but in the long run your lifestyle will be better.

when the docs are home with their families the pa's are seeing pts.

docs in my group work 120 hrs/mo for 350 k. pa's work 180-200 hrs/mo for around 1/3 of that.

go to medschool, don't look back. good luck.

go to med school. yes, it will be tough for a few years but in the long run your lifestyle will be better.

when the docs are home with their families the pa's are seeing pts.

docs in my group work 120 hrs/mo for 350 k. pa's work 180-200 hrs/mo for around 1/3 of that.

go to medschool, don't look back. good luck.

Personally I prefer the PA route over med school because of easier lateral movement in specialties, and don't intend to ever apply to anything else, but if someone invited me to their med school today and I was denied from all the PA programs I applied to, I would go the med school route anyway. I feel that if you were motivated enough to go through the process to get in that you might regret choosing a different route in the future. Four years really isn't vey long, and as Oneal said, the amount you work after your graduate is really dependent on the area of practice. PLEASE don't take a slot from someone else if you don't really want it, in any school. I don't think many things are more frustrating to those denied than hearing about people who took a slot then decided part-way through a program that it wasn't for them and quit.

Personally I prefer the PA route over med school because of easier lateral movement in specialties, and don't intend to ever apply to anything else, but if someone invited me to their med school today and I was denied from all the PA programs I applied to, I would go the med school route anyway. I feel that if you were motivated enough to go through the process to get in that you might regret choosing a different route in the future. Four years really isn't vey long, and as Oneal said, the amount you work after your graduate is really dependent on the area of practice. PLEASE don't take a slot from someone else if you don't really want it, in any school. I don't think many things are more frustrating to those denied than hearing about people who took a slot then decided part-way through a program that it wasn't for them and quit.

Thank you everyone. I am well aware of my naivity in thinking that a PAs have a better lifestyle. I think it's because most of the PAs I shadow seem to have great work-life balance. The doctors I shadow have been internal medicine hospitalists and the PAs Ive shadowed happened to be convienent care, so i'm thinking that has a liiiitle bit to do the ideas that get planted in my head.

Also I think what was sort of drawing me in to the PA profession was the idea of being done with school earlier...Not going to lie I became a little burnt out after last year with mcat physics biochem etc all smushed into a few months.

And it's not that I dont want to do a residency- it's more about the HORROR stories that I read all over the internet from people referring to residency as slavery. It's normal to be concerned and to consider that before taking on the huge committment of the journey to becoming a physician.

Great points about the acceptance being in hand. Sure does feel good, and who knows if Id get into PA school. I only received 2 med school interviews (applied to only 6) It's all such a crapshoot sometimes!

Thank you everyone. I am well aware of my naivity in thinking that a PAs have a better lifestyle. I think it's because most of the PAs I shadow seem to have great work-life balance. The doctors I shadow have been internal medicine hospitalists and the PAs Ive shadowed happened to be convienent care, so i'm thinking that has a liiiitle bit to do the ideas that get planted in my head.

Also I think what was sort of drawing me in to the PA profession was the idea of being done with school earlier...Not going to lie I became a little burnt out after last year with mcat physics biochem etc all smushed into a few months.

And it's not that I dont want to do a residency- it's more about the HORROR stories that I read all over the internet from people referring to residency as slavery. It's normal to be concerned and to consider that before taking on the huge committment of the journey to becoming a physician.

Great points about the acceptance being in hand. Sure does feel good, and who knows if Id get into PA school. I only received 2 med school interviews (applied to only 6) It's all such a crapshoot sometimes!

I have many friends who are docs. they all describe internship as tough but doable and 2nd and 3rd yr as relatively easy.

one even described internship as the "best yr of his life" because he always felt challenged, learned a lot, etc.

if I had a medschool acceptance in hand right now I would take it and not look back. there is something to be said for the often heard statement that "the hardest part of medschool is getting in"

I have many friends who are docs. they all describe internship as tough but doable and 2nd and 3rd yr as relatively easy.

one even described internship as the "best yr of his life" because he always felt challenged, learned a lot, etc.

if I had a medschool acceptance in hand right now I would take it and not look back. there is something to be said for the often heard statement that "the hardest part of medschool is getting in"

And it's not that I dont want to do a residency- it's more about the HORROR stories that I read all over the internet from people referring to residency as slavery. It's normal to be concerned and to consider that before taking on the huge committment of the journey to becoming a physician

If you are refering to student doctor network, take everything you read on that site as a grain of salt. I've spent some time over there and there is a largely negative, elitist attitude from many of the pre-meds and medical students. Additionally, there seems to be alot of misinformation floating around there.

And it's not that I dont want to do a residency- it's more about the HORROR stories that I read all over the internet from people referring to residency as slavery. It's normal to be concerned and to consider that before taking on the huge committment of the journey to becoming a physician

If you are refering to student doctor network, take everything you read on that site as a grain of salt. I've spent some time over there and there is a largely negative, elitist attitude from many of the pre-meds and medical students. Additionally, there seems to be alot of misinformation floating around there.

It really is a crapshoot many times I believe. I've seen people with amazing stats and are charismatic not get in all because application timing, did early decision, blah blah. I wouldn't risk a thing and 1 year of med school will be tough and so will intern year, but other than that I don't see them getting out any less than other friends. Don't forget you get a summer off in med school too.

Med schools and residencies seem to work much harder at keeping students as well. As well they should since you busted your butt to get in and it is 7 years long. Can't expect everyone to be perfect for seven years straight. Not saying they keep idiots, but if you get pregnant or have some life altering event, they often allow you to defer a year or take time off in residency. They seem much more strict in PA school, probably because of the limited time frame you have to learn. Just one opinion.

It really is a crapshoot many times I believe. I've seen people with amazing stats and are charismatic not get in all because application timing, did early decision, blah blah. I wouldn't risk a thing and 1 year of med school will be tough and so will intern year, but other than that I don't see them getting out any less than other friends. Don't forget you get a summer off in med school too.

Med schools and residencies seem to work much harder at keeping students as well. As well they should since you busted your butt to get in and it is 7 years long. Can't expect everyone to be perfect for seven years straight. Not saying they keep idiots, but if you get pregnant or have some life altering event, they often allow you to defer a year or take time off in residency. They seem much more strict in PA school, probably because of the limited time frame you have to learn. Just one opinion.

MelanieM, this is just my two cents, but from what you're saying, you seem to have a firm grasp on the concept of being accepted into med school- it is a HUGE step that no one should take lightly. You are about to embark on a long, tedious, but awesome journey to becoming someone of great responsibility, so your hesitance may be the result of cold feet... it is perfectly natural. You've worked so hard to get to where you are. Reflect on why you have chosen to become a physician as oppose to a PA and I'm sure you will find your answer :)

MelanieM, this is just my two cents, but from what you're saying, you seem to have a firm grasp on the concept of being accepted into med school- it is a HUGE step that no one should take lightly. You are about to embark on a long, tedious, but awesome journey to becoming someone of great responsibility, so your hesitance may be the result of cold feet... it is perfectly natural. You've worked so hard to get to where you are. Reflect on why you have chosen to become a physician as oppose to a PA and I'm sure you will find your answer :)

I was indeed refering to SDN, and certain blogs that basically tell you to run as fast as you can away from the field of medicine. I really don't think I have read 1 positive thing about medicine as a profession on that website. I am literally baffled to the point where a part of me wonders if a lot of it is actually true... It's almost like they are trying to save people from a life of doom. I haven't been through the whole journey, so I can't just blatantly say they are wrong, but I don't understand what the deal is with all the negativity.

Maybe I sound naive again hah, and maybe the med school journey really is extremely taxing and burn-out prone. This is where I continue to get stuck. I know its foolish to base my decision based on a bunch of those people bashing medicine on the internet (okay maybe remind me of that again since I don't listen to myself ....) but I cannot help get influenced by all of the negativity floating around out there. It's hard not to

I was indeed refering to SDN, and certain blogs that basically tell you to run as fast as you can away from the field of medicine. I really don't think I have read 1 positive thing about medicine as a profession on that website. I am literally baffled to the point where a part of me wonders if a lot of it is actually true... It's almost like they are trying to save people from a life of doom. I haven't been through the whole journey, so I can't just blatantly say they are wrong, but I don't understand what the deal is with all the negativity.

Maybe I sound naive again hah, and maybe the med school journey really is extremely taxing and burn-out prone. This is where I continue to get stuck. I know its foolish to base my decision based on a bunch of those people bashing medicine on the internet (okay maybe remind me of that again since I don't listen to myself ....) but I cannot help get influenced by all of the negativity floating around out there. It's hard not to

Sounds like you are burntout. Can you defer acceptance to take a break after graduation to gather your thoughts? Med school was your goal for so long and a sudden about-face in a year may be due to stress etc. Take a step back and take an honest look at your situation. Who's to say you wont regret PA school or the PA profession. The grass is always greener syndrome can cloud your judgment....

Sent from my HTC MT4GS using Tapatalk

Archived