PA to MD alternative

jdtpac- just a correction about lecom: 1/2 the spots are for primary care, the other 1/2 can do any specialty. I have a friend currently in the program.

from their site:

APAP currently has 12 slots for this pathway. Six slots will be designated as primary care (family practice, general internal medicine, pediatrics or OB/GYN).

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jdtpac- just a correction about lecom: 1/2 the spots are for primary care, the other 1/2 can do any specialty. I have a friend currently in the program.

from their site:

APAP currently has 12 slots for this pathway. Six slots will be designated as primary care (family practice, general internal medicine, pediatrics or OB/GYN).

Sooo...

1.) Obstruction of a PA name Change... Check!!!

2.) Obstruction of a Bridge for PAs to become Physicians... Check!!!

3.) Obstruction of PAs to... [whats next, Business ownership, More Autonomy, what??]...

And Folks wonder why the rolls over at AAPA has been dwindling exponentially...:heheh:

Sooo...

1.) Obstruction of a PA name Change... Check!!!

2.) Obstruction of a Bridge for PAs to become Physicians... Check!!!

3.) Obstruction of PAs to... [whats next, Business ownership, More Autonomy, what??]...

And Folks wonder why the rolls over at AAPA has been dwindling exponentially...:heheh:

Not necessarily...It's an easy thing to quantify, which is why people ask for it, but that doesn't mean they know what the hell they are doing. I was first assist in both Neurosurgery and Ortho before going to EM...I've done a lot of procedures...I find them occasionally difficult from a manual perspective (86 year old with degenerative spine who needs an LP), but not from a mental perspective. Never did. It's repetition....boring....

I've met too many students who talk about their HCE, but when you ask them why they are doing this....cannot formulate a really good answer. Now, take the same 86 year old, put them on Coumadin, or LMWH, and then ask, do you need to do this? What about their clinical situation gives you that answer? What if their status changes? Can it wait? Why? Why not? What do you need to worry about? etc.etc.etc.

THAT's the knowledge that matters.

To be honest, I don't even care to do procedures anymore...except cardioversions.....which I still enjoy, but otherwise, I let the residents or students do them. I'd rather see people or catch up on charting (so I can be out the door as soon as the shift is over, as the fewest number of minutes that I can spend there, the better).....YMMV

the issue (on this thread) was procedures/technical knowledge being used as a measure of HCE in the pre-PA group.

those prePAs that have been in the clinical environment enough to have done basic procedures have likely had the exposure that we typicaly categorize as pre-PA HCE. This includes exposure to pt care, other clincians, health care teams etc.

to state "I never understood people using procedures as evidence of HCE" fails to connect the fact that performance of procedures generally requires being in a health care setting and getting the kind of exposure mentioned above.

It doesn't matter that a pre-PA understands the risk of anticoagulants in an LP. What matters is that they understand the PA role and what pt care is about.

I'd rather have a pre-PA who knows why they are getting into health care rather than someone who has the finer points of medical management already down. The latter pool is small, and risks missing the former group who will often make great PAs.

Not necessarily...It's an easy thing to quantify, which is why people ask for it, but that doesn't mean they know what the hell they are doing. I was first assist in both Neurosurgery and Ortho before going to EM...I've done a lot of procedures...I find them occasionally difficult from a manual perspective (86 year old with degenerative spine who needs an LP), but not from a mental perspective. Never did. It's repetition....boring....

I've met too many students who talk about their HCE, but when you ask them why they are doing this....cannot formulate a really good answer. Now, take the same 86 year old, put them on Coumadin, or LMWH, and then ask, do you need to do this? What about their clinical situation gives you that answer? What if their status changes? Can it wait? Why? Why not? What do you need to worry about? etc.etc.etc.

THAT's the knowledge that matters.

To be honest, I don't even care to do procedures anymore...except cardioversions.....which I still enjoy, but otherwise, I let the residents or students do them. I'd rather see people or catch up on charting (so I can be out the door as soon as the shift is over, as the fewest number of minutes that I can spend there, the better).....YMMV

the issue (on this thread) was procedures/technical knowledge being used as a measure of HCE in the pre-PA group.

those prePAs that have been in the clinical environment enough to have done basic procedures have likely had the exposure that we typicaly categorize as pre-PA HCE. This includes exposure to pt care, other clincians, health care teams etc.

to state "I never understood people using procedures as evidence of HCE" fails to connect the fact that performance of procedures generally requires being in a health care setting and getting the kind of exposure mentioned above.

It doesn't matter that a pre-PA understands the risk of anticoagulants in an LP. What matters is that they understand the PA role and what pt care is about.

I'd rather have a pre-PA who knows why they are getting into health care rather than someone who has the finer points of medical management already down. The latter pool is small, and risks missing the former group who will often make great PAs.

PAMAC, it has nothing to do with "dragging their heels"

The AAPA has finite resources. Would you rather have them focus attention, money, and commit time and resources to helping PAs (only about 1% want to) become physicians, or should they focus on issues for the other 99%???

I'd rather they focus on the name change...I'd rather they focus on the roll out of PPACA and making sure that PAs are favorably included. I'd rather they focus on increasing autonomy and practice of PAs......

They don't have a gigantic staff or a war chest like the AMA has.

The AAPA dues are RIDICULOUSLY cheap when compared to what our physician colleagues pay...This is why they have power.

Power comes down to two things.....Number of voters (think nurses) OR money (think physicians)

We have neither. So the AAPA has to pick and choose their battles. They cannot get into EVERY scuffle regarding the PA profession. They simply cannot....

PAMAC, it has nothing to do with "dragging their heels"

The AAPA has finite resources. Would you rather have them focus attention, money, and commit time and resources to helping PAs (only about 1% want to) become physicians, or should they focus on issues for the other 99%???

I'd rather they focus on the name change...I'd rather they focus on the roll out of PPACA and making sure that PAs are favorably included. I'd rather they focus on increasing autonomy and practice of PAs......

They don't have a gigantic staff or a war chest like the AMA has.

The AAPA dues are RIDICULOUSLY cheap when compared to what our physician colleagues pay...This is why they have power.

Power comes down to two things.....Number of voters (think nurses) OR money (think physicians)

We have neither. So the AAPA has to pick and choose their battles. They cannot get into EVERY scuffle regarding the PA profession. They simply cannot....

Exactly!! That is why I am glad to see that more programs have been eliminating the requirement for previous HCE and only requiring the 40 hours of shadowing a PA. We are becoming a younger profession and I have been pleasantly surprised by the students with whom I have had the opportunity to meet over the past several years, many of which had little to no previous HCE prior to applying for the PA program.

Exactly!! That is why I am glad to see that more programs have been eliminating the requirement for previous HCE and only requiring the 40 hours of shadowing a PA. We are becoming a younger profession and I have been pleasantly surprised by the students with whom I have had the opportunity to meet over the past several years, many of which had little to no previous HCE prior to applying for the PA program.

Guest hubbardtim48

What would you be confused about? I am saying, "Sounds great" to Oneal's comment about him "finding" the ignore button. Could you please not respond to my comments unless you have something worthwhile to say. Thanks.

Guest hubbardtim48

What would you be confused about? I am saying, "Sounds great" to Oneal's comment about him "finding" the ignore button. Could you please not respond to my comments unless you have something worthwhile to say. Thanks.

Guest hubbardtim48

I would like to keep the heritage of the PA profession alive and wish programs would require more HCE (i.e. something that requires a licensure/certification).

Guest hubbardtim48

I would like to keep the heritage of the PA profession alive and wish programs would require more HCE (i.e. something that requires a licensure/certification).

The PA profession has changed greatly since its start, and schools have adjusted accordingly. PAs no longer just fill the void in primary care, they are used in every specialty imagineable. Someone like yourself that wants to go into CC or pulm would be breaking the heritage as you aren't going into rural family practice...

But keeping the heritage would allow more people like yourself to sit around and *posture* over stories of past procedures and other tales of former HCE glory...

edited because of bad behavior... :(

The PA profession has changed greatly since its start, and schools have adjusted accordingly. PAs no longer just fill the void in primary care, they are used in every specialty imagineable. Someone like yourself that wants to go into CC or pulm would be breaking the heritage as you aren't going into rural family practice...

But keeping the heritage would allow more people like yourself to sit around and *posture* over stories of past procedures and other tales of former HCE glory...

edited because of bad behavior... :(

So sorry I ruffled your feathers, hubbardtim48, but it wasn't exactly clear as to who you responding to. The last response of Oneal’s to which you are referring was on a previous page. Had you used the ” Reply With Quote”, as I just did and like everyone else usually does, I would not have bothered to reply to your post.

With that said, I think you should mind your manners and show a little more professionalism when you reply to someone's posts. You may not agree with an individual’s opinion but that does not give you the right to be disrespectful. Unlike you, who is apparently a student, I have been a productive member of this profession for a very long time and I believe I have earned the privilege of the floor.

So sorry I ruffled your feathers, hubbardtim48, but it wasn't exactly clear as to who you responding to. The last response of Oneal’s to which you are referring was on a previous page. Had you used the ” Reply With Quote”, as I just did and like everyone else usually does, I would not have bothered to reply to your post.

With that said, I think you should mind your manners and show a little more professionalism when you reply to someone's posts. You may not agree with an individual’s opinion but that does not give you the right to be disrespectful. Unlike you, who is apparently a student, I have been a productive member of this profession for a very long time and I believe I have earned the privilege of the floor.

Guest hubbardtim48

I am going into rural family practice with an emphasis on asthma/allergy. I would like to do CC or ER, but my life style does not suit having odd hour shifts and working weekends. I want to give back to my community through education and prevention and primary care is one way to follow this goal. Not to say that I might not work PRN in a rural ER, but my main goal as a PA is to practice family medicine, so I will be keeping the PA heritage alive.

Archived