Bethel University: 2018-2019 Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 7:55 PM, pa314 said:

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone know if this program;

1. Works on a rolling admissions basis 

2. Requires shadowing hours

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! ? 

They do not do rolling admission, and do not require shadowing, but like many PA programs, its implied that to be competitive, you will have some shadowing. 

I have almost 13,000 patient care hours, about 500 hours of volunteering, and 165 shadowing hours with a Derm PA.  Bethel sent me a denial email saying I didn’t have enough hours working with underserved populations.  I serve every year for a week in a rural medical clinic in Haiti as well as volunteering as an ERT in a hospital in an underserved city near my hometown.  It makes no sense.  You can’t please everyone.

2 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

I have almost 13,000 patient care hours, about 500 hours of volunteering, and 165 shadowing hours with a Derm PA.  Bethel sent me a denial email saying I didn’t have enough hours working with underserved populations.  I serve every year for a week in a rural medical clinic in Haiti as well as volunteering as an ERT in a hospital in an underserved city near my hometown.  It makes no sense.  You can’t please everyone.

They already denied you? I didn't know they required volunteer hours for underserved.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, Bonist55 said:

Yep, I received an email that also included an explanation that some of my courses exceeded the 5 year limit (which is insane).  Most programs allow 7-10 years.

First of all, I checked the website and I cannot find any information regarding requirements for volunteer hours. There is nothing about a requirement of working with underserved populations either.

However, the prerequisite website does specifically state that there is a 5 year limit for anatomy, physiology, and microbiology. A five year limit for human anatomy and physiology is very common. You can request a waiver prior to application (I had to do this for microbiology), but if you didn't do that at all, that is probably why they sent you a denial. 

I graduated in 2010 so I understand how frustrating this can be. I have to make sure I read the prerequisite information very closely to look for time limits, and I cannot apply to many, many programs because many of my courses were taken too long ago. 

2 hours ago, mitteh71 said:

First of all, I checked the website and I cannot find any information regarding requirements for volunteer hours. There is nothing about a requirement of working with underserved populations either.

However, the prerequisite website does specifically state that there is a 5 year limit for anatomy, physiology, and microbiology. A five year limit for human anatomy and physiology is very common. You can request a waiver prior to application (I had to do this for microbiology), but if you didn't do that at all, that is probably why they sent you a denial. 

I graduated in 2010 so I understand how frustrating this can be. I have to make sure I read the prerequisite information very closely to look for time limits, and I cannot apply to many, many programs because many of my courses were taken too long ago. 

Thankfully I was accepted to Eastern Virginia Medical School (starting Jan 2, 2019).  Best of luck to you guys!

• 1 month later...

Got an interview invite on Friday for October 19th! I asked a couple of people I know who are currently in the program about the interview. They said there is an individual interview with a staff member, group interview with the program director, and student panel with current students. They had to write an impromptu essay last year but said they probably won't do that this year. One of them said there are quite a few questions about personal values and that it was one of the more relaxed interviews she had. I hope this helps people!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:42 AM, ahepper said:

Got an interview invite on Friday for October 19th! I asked a couple of people I know who are currently in the program about the interview. They said there is an individual interview with a staff member, group interview with the program director, and student panel with current students. They had to write an impromptu essay last year but said they probably won't do that this year. One of them said there are quite a few questions about personal values and that it was one of the more relaxed interviews she had. I hope this helps people!

Thanks for the info, it helped! ? I too got an invite for October 19th as well! See you there!

• Like 1