2018-2019 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I decided to hit submit last night. They are still waiting for one of my transcript and one of the evals. I don’t know really my overall GPA at this point. I know it’s above 3.0 for sure. But my undergraduate degree is not from U.S but my graduate and associate degrees are both here in U.S. So at this point I’ll just be waiting and try to follow up with one of my evals. 

Finally, I decided to hit submit last night. They are still waiting for one of my transcript and one of the evals. I don’t know really my overall GPA at this point. I know it’s above 3.0 for sure. But my undergraduate degree is not from U.S but my graduate and associate degrees are both here in U.S. So at this point I’ll just be waiting and try to follow up with one of my evals. 
What sites did you apply for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I submitted CASPA early May and was verified shortly after. I then submitted supplemental application on May 16 and received an email on May 29 stating I’ve met all the min requirements but they need my GRE scores to send my application for full faculty review. GRE is scheduled for June 16.

Edited by JSCampbell

On 6/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, AKJustinS said:

Nice, I've heard it's a gorgeous campus. If I can't get Anchorage then Spokane or Tacoma are my backups. If you have any questions about anything let me know. As mentioned my wife will be a MEDEX graduate in August.

Before I did my CASPA app I was communicating via email to one staff at MEDEX. I forwarded my transcripts with her and she responded via email which classes are acceptable and which classes should I retake since it’s past 7 years already. So I am retaking this summer Physiology 2B  and General Biology. She did ok’d my chemistry classes although it’s past 7 years. 

Today my CASPA was verified and my GPA are all good. Do you think MEDEX staff remembers that they told me mychemistry was good? I still have the email conversation saved up on my email.  

Before I did my CASPA app I was communicating via email to one staff at MEDEX. I forwarded my transcripts with her and she responded via email which classes are acceptable and which classes should I retake since it’s past 7 years already. So I am retaking this summer Physiology 2B  and General Biology. She did ok’d my chemistry classes although it’s past 7 years. 
Today my CASPA was verified and my GPA are all good. Do you think MEDEX staff remembers that they told me mychemistry was good? I still have the email conversation saved up on my email.  
Keep the email, but you should be ok. I've emailed them about a few classes and they also give me good info. IMO Chemistry doesn't really change in 7 years like A&P could. Also based on how important A&P and some of the other classes are in MEDEX I see why it's 7 years. The classes are very intensive.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:17 PM, JSCampbell said:

I submitted CASPA early May and was verified shortly after. I then submitted supplemental application on May 16 and received an email on May 29 stating I’ve met all the min requirements but they need my GRE scores to send my application for full faculty review. GRE is scheduled for June 16.

The email you received stating you met the requirements is it from MEDEX or CASPA. My coursework is very confusing so I am waiting to see if I at least met the requirements. My course work was verified just today by CASPA. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/15/2018 at 11:23 AM, FPOT2018 said:

The email you received stating you met the requirements is it from MEDEX or CASPA. My coursework is very confusing so I am waiting to see if I at least met the requirements. My course work was verified just today by CASPA. 

My apologies for the late reply. The email was from MEDEX stating I met the requirements. It was about 2 weeks after I submitted my supplemental application. 

Finally submitted my application!

MEDEX is definitely a long shot for me and is my reach school for this cycle. My PCE is not as strong as they like to see, but I figure it's worth a shot since I meet their minimum requirements and have strong regional ties. Fingers crossed... I would love to attend the Tacoma program.

Good luck everyone!

On 7/13/2018 at 11:33 AM, AKJustinS said:

Don't count yourself out. My wife applied to just MEDEX and got in the second time. IMO MEDEX looks more at the individual than one specific category. A current classmate in my wife's class has a low GPA in the 2.7 range and he was accepted and will be graduating  next month. As long as you meet their minimum requirements and be yourself in the interviews. That gets a lot of people is being nervous, not talking with other interviewees, they look at the personal interaction too. 

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am certainly holding out hope. Congratulations to your wife! I hope to be in her shoes soon.

I know that MEDEX strongly prefers candidates with higher hour counts and my strengths are definitely on the academic side. But you never really know if part of your application will resonate with someone I guess. I have heard through the grapevine that things have been changing a bit at MEDEX over the last year or so, and they did drop their minimum hour count, so it seems like it may be true. 

Either way, I got an email stating that I am complete and that I at least meet their minimum requirements. Happy that I will at least get a full review and a "holistic evaluation" of my application ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone my name is Jenny. I turned in everything on June 27th and on July 13th got my email saying I had met the basic requirements. I'm hoping to get into the Anchorage campus, since Alaska is my home, but Tacoma is my second choice. With August coming to an end the anticipation starts to grow to hear one way or another. Good luck to everyone!