Skipping Orgo Lab

Five PA schools that I plan on applying to do not require organic chemistry lab but recommend it. I hear horror stories about the Orgo lab and I’m wondering if it’s even worth taking it. Or skipping it to can’t an advance biology course. Thoughts? Please share your personal experiences. 

A lot of schools don't even require organic chemistry 1 lab but acing it will help increase your chances to getting many interviews to increase your chances of acceptance

I am currently taking oc2 with lab just to qualify for even more interviews this upcoming cycle, my 3rd.

PA School will be a major challenge that's stress inducing mentally and physically so proving yourself academically will bring you closer to your goal of acceptance

I personally didn't think lab was too bad, it was a good amount of work but those upper level science courses really help give you a glimpse of the advanced courses you'll be taking in PA school so I like the challenge. I would go ahead and take it to keep you options open and it makes you look like you know your stuff when you ace organic chemistry. Probably be greatest achievement to date. ? Lol 

I personally found orgo lab to be much easier then gen chem lab, but if you hear horror stories from the professor you are about to take it with then I would be cautious. One of my professors refused to give any students an A on their lab reports because "theres no such thing as a perfect lab report." That class was a nightmare. 

8 hours ago, bocc54 said:

I personally found orgo lab to be much easier then gen chem lab, but if you hear horror stories from the professor you are about to take it with then I would be cautious. One of my professors refused to give any students an A on their lab reports because "theres no such thing as a perfect lab report." That class was a nightmare. 

Yeah, Ochem lab saved my grade second semester.

• 2 weeks later...

I also ended up taking orgo labs 1 and 2 for my 2nd cycle of applications. Did them at the local CC, ended up with A's which helped big time in my interviews since one program asked if there were any updates on those grades, which I had an updated transcript on hand.

It's tedious but doable. I took these labs 4 years after taking the lectures and still got A's.

• 1 month later...

Archived