Masters- What's Next?

I have received a bachelor's degree in PA students and am currently practicing. I am looking for advice on what I should get my masters in. Was thinking health administration. Thoughts?

Some states require a clinical masters to get prescribing rights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

much more useful than a "masters in pa studies". opens up options for the DrPH, working with doctors without borders, the CDC, etc

I am not considering a masters in pa studies i have a bachelors in pa studies and i’m practicing without restrictions. I am deciding between health administration and public health and seeking if there are any other good ideas or which one i should persue. 

On 4/29/2018 at 11:48 PM, TheChicPA said:

I am not considering a masters in pa studies i have a bachelors in pa studies and i’m practicing without restrictions. I am deciding between health administration and public health and seeking if there are any other good ideas or which one i should persue. 

What are your long term career goals?

On 4/29/2018 at 11:45 PM, EMEDPA said:

much more useful than a "masters in pa studies". opens up options for the DrPH, working with doctors without borders, the CDC, etc

PAs have no role in Dr.s w/o borders if they dont have an MPH? or if not, what does the MPH add?

3 minutes ago, Rocksteady said:

PAs have no role in Dr.s w/o borders if they dont have an MPH? or if not, what does the MPH add?

DWBs will use a PA with an mph for logistics, not in a clinical capacity. Of note, when they use NPs, they use them as RNs , not as clinicians. This was addressed a few years ago by PAFT in a letter to their board. 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:01 PM, EMEDPA said:

DWBs will use a PA with an mph for logistics, not in a clinical capacity. Of note, when they use NPs, they use them as RNs , not as clinicians. This was addressed a few years ago by PAFT in a letter to their board. 

I see. thanks.

• 1 month later...

If you are contemplating moving to a state that expects an MS for prescribing rights, consider the online MS at U of Nebraska to check that box. Several PAs I know have done that.

You can always go on and get a nonclinical masters in something else that interests you.

11 hours ago, UGoLong said:

If you are contemplating moving to a state that expects an MS for prescribing rights, consider the online MS at U of Nebraska to check that box. Several PAs I know have done that.

You can always go on and get a nonclinical masters in something else that interests you.

yup, this is what I did in 98. there are a few cheaper programs now though like touro for 7200 dollars total.

Archived