Hey guys, quick volunteer question for you all...

I might call that "charitable giving" (!)- but I would not call it volunteering. Volunteering is generally defined in the realm of a service-related activity, (and in the purest form, without compensation). It's certainly a nice thing to do and it benefits people, but, I would be surprised if an ADCOM would consider it a volunteer activity. And besides, what does that take, 15-30 minutes of your time every 2 or 3 months? ..... yeah, no.

I might call that "charitable giving" (!)- but I would not call it volunteering. Volunteering is generally defined in the realm of a service-related activity, (and in the purest form, without compensation). It's certainly a nice thing to do and it benefits people, but, I would be surprised if an ADCOM would consider it a volunteer activity. And besides, what does that take, 15-30 minutes of your time every 2 or 3 months? ..... yeah, no.

• Administrator
Even if it did, I can't see it making much of an impression on the admissions committee, so don't count on it being a game changer in any capacity.

This. That would inspire an "is that all you've got?" reaction in me. Like listing high school non-health-care volunteering, it serves to highlight the absolute lack of more relevant content to include.

• Administrator
Even if it did, I can't see it making much of an impression on the admissions committee, so don't count on it being a game changer in any capacity.

This. That would inspire an "is that all you've got?" reaction in me. Like listing high school non-health-care volunteering, it serves to highlight the absolute lack of more relevant content to include.

*sigh* You can donate blood once every 3 months. That means you can donate 4 times per year. Given than the donation usually takes no longer than 10 minutes........in 1 year you will have racked up a massive 40(!) minutes of (non)volunteer time. So, in 20 years from now you would have enough hours to make it actually look mildly amusing....

You will be up against people that have given entire months, in some cases years, of their time volunteering in various capacities both here and in foreign countries. You will be up against people that have served for years in the military. You will be up against people that have been leaders of their respective volunteer organizations. Does your blood donation history stack up against this? You decide.

*sigh* You can donate blood once every 3 months. That means you can donate 4 times per year. Given than the donation usually takes no longer than 10 minutes........in 1 year you will have racked up a massive 40(!) minutes of (non)volunteer time. So, in 20 years from now you would have enough hours to make it actually look mildly amusing....

You will be up against people that have given entire months, in some cases years, of their time volunteering in various capacities both here and in foreign countries. You will be up against people that have served for years in the military. You will be up against people that have been leaders of their respective volunteer organizations. Does your blood donation history stack up against this? You decide.

Lol sorry guys, didnt know this would upset so many of you. Its just one things out of many things that i considered adding to my app, was just curious if I could include it in as volunteer criteria........so yea, didnt say it was all i have as volunteer, just asked if it could be considered volunteer. Thanks for the comments I guess?

Lol sorry guys, didnt know this would upset so many of you. Its just one things out of many things that i considered adding to my app, was just curious if I could include it in as volunteer criteria........so yea, didnt say it was all i have as volunteer, just asked if it could be considered volunteer. Thanks for the comments I guess?

*every 56 days

Yes, while physically able to donate every 56 days, many donation services recommended waiting longer. I worked 2 years in a blood bank. :)

For the sake of comparison, if you donated every 56 days, you then increase your 'volunteer' time to nearly double......that brings the grand total up to 80 min/year.

In response to 2full2eat: We aren't upset, call it amused. Questions like this pop up on the forum all of the time and they typically induce an *eye roll. Why? Because if you had really sat back and thought it through I'm sure you could have answered this on your own. But hey, I guess the purpose of a forum is to ask any question, including the ridiculous ones.

*every 56 days

Yes, while physically able to donate every 56 days, many donation services recommended waiting longer. I worked 2 years in a blood bank. :)

For the sake of comparison, if you donated every 56 days, you then increase your 'volunteer' time to nearly double......that brings the grand total up to 80 min/year.

In response to 2full2eat: We aren't upset, call it amused. Questions like this pop up on the forum all of the time and they typically induce an *eye roll. Why? Because if you had really sat back and thought it through I'm sure you could have answered this on your own. But hey, I guess the purpose of a forum is to ask any question, including the ridiculous ones.

Yes, while physically able to donate every 56 days you are recommended by donation services to wait longer. I spent 2 years in a blood bank. :)

And yet it was the residents working blood bank that have begged me to donate blood as often as possible. More blood = them making fewer huge decisions about who deserves the limited blood supply most.

On that note, just tried to donate blood last night after about 60 days and my iron is still too low...Guess I'll be trying again next week.

Yes, while physically able to donate every 56 days you are recommended by donation services to wait longer. I spent 2 years in a blood bank. :)

And yet it was the residents working blood bank that have begged me to donate blood as often as possible. More blood = them making fewer huge decisions about who deserves the limited blood supply most.

On that note, just tried to donate blood last night after about 60 days and my iron is still too low...Guess I'll be trying again next week.

That's the exact reason why. We had too many willing people get frustrated when they were unable to donate after 60 days. We adjusted accordingly. Yes, there is a supply shortage. I also understand that it is different at each donation institution.

That's the exact reason why. We had too many willing people get frustrated when they were unable to donate after 60 days. We adjusted accordingly. Yes, there is a supply shortage. I also understand that it is different at each donation institution.

I put EVERYTHING that i considered service to my campus or community on my caspa. Even things I only did for 1 hr. It took a lot of time, but all of my hours really added up. I had working and donating at the red cross blood drives on mine. But I would only put it if you have lots of other volunteer things as well!

Archived