Interview while pregnant

Hello all,

I don't have an interview yet, cycle hasn't started, but I would like to hear from those that may have been in my situation. 

Did anyone interview while (obviously) pregnant and got accepted? If I get an interview, I would probably be 6-7-8 months pregnant (depending on when that would be). That late it will show no matter what I wear. 

I know legally they are not allowed to ask about it or reject you solely on that reason, but since interview at the PA schools are rather subjective, it's a possibility. 

Thoughts?

Hello all,
I don't have an interview yet, cycles hasn't started, but I would like to hear from those that may have been in my situation. 
Did anyone interview while (obviously) pregnant and got accepted? If I get an interview, I would probably be 6-7-8 months pregnant (depending on when that would be). That late it will show no matter what I wear. 
I know legally they are not allowed to ask about it or reject you solely on that reason, but since interview at the PA schools are rather subjective, it's a possibility. 
Thoughts?
Actually, since it's not a job interview, I don't believe anything says they can't ask about it. It's commonplace for people with children to be asked how they plan to handle the family dynamic while in PA school. What their plans are for childcare, backup childcare, etc.

Admission committees have to decide on applicants that won't be a risk to their stats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A few of the programs I interviewed at made a point that you CAN have a family and go to PA school, it just takes planning as DarcyJ said. I doubt any PA program with integrity would overlook you for being pregnant. Sort of a "if they won't take you because of pregnancy, you probably don't want to go there" thing. 

Ad coms are very understanding, highly educated folks. Afterall PA school is a business and they want to accept those who have strong support systems in place so the matriculated student will not drop out and the school loses $80k++ for that seat, as long as you can share with each interviewer how strong your support system is to help you take care of your future newborn, it will help build trust and hopefully results will work out in your favor.

I do know of someone who got pregnant  during her last semester of didactic year and her school worked with her to schedule a later clinical schedule, it worked out. 

Thank you all for your answers. 

If you get pregnant while in school, it's one thing. You are already in and they can't kick you out, as long as you are performing. But at the interview, all they see is a big belly, and there's nothing to stop them from being biased, right? 

I suppose that once you're there, there's not much you could do other than put their concerns about a strong support system at rest and hope for the best. 

• Administrator

As an interviewer, I've been instructed that anything off-limits in a job interview is also off-limits in a candidate interview.  School policy may vary.

You can't really do anything about showing at this point, so the real option is to 1) bring it up yourself, or 2) ignore it.  Of the two, I'd suggest 1, but you're in absolutely no obligation to do so.  BUT, beware that you're in a sea of excellent candidates, so I would recommend assertively discussing your plans to deal with things, including backup plans, family support, etc.  You have an opportunity to impress... or just be silent as is your right.  The biggest challenge in PA school interviews is being memorable in a sea of early to mid 20's 3.6-3.8 GPA biology majors who worked as CNAs MAs, or EMTs.

@KrebsCycle I've been in positions for two different programs that specifically mentioned students that interviewed while pregnant and the ones they were referring to our students that got in! I think that we are going into industry that is predominantly women, and I think it's an industry that empowers women. I think if anything it would make you more memorable and stand out as someone who is willing and ready to manage work-life balance! I think it's almost better than getting unexpectedly pregnant during your program- because you can prove that you have thought about it, you're planning for child care Arrangements, everything! Congratulations! And you go, girl!

Archived