Is my healthcare experience the problem?

if you make it to the interview, its based on stats. if you get rejected after the interview based on your stats, its because you didnt live up to them. either way, at that point, its not your stats you need to work on, its your ability to demonstrate that your stats and your demeanor communicate to the evaluator that you are ready for prime time (at least comparative to the others being interviewed). the notion that you make it that far only to have your stats kill you on thier own is absurd. rejection based on stats at that stage is coupled with the interview.

That's not true in all cases. I interviewed at one school in my first application cycle and their feedback to me was that my interview was excellent, that they were impressed with my interaction during the group interview questions, and I was well-liked by everyone but my academics still left some doubt so they went with the safer bet. They said that they brought me in to interview because my GPA was bordering their minimum but my GRE score made them think I'd be able to do well. My second cycle was much more successful, having finished my pre-reqs and demonstrating a major upward trend, etc.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply and give me feedback. I'm keeping track of all the different suggestions. It is definitely good to hear that my stats are well regarded. And to those that agreed it was more likely the interview that got me the rejection, I truly believe that to be the case. I can elaborate more on the interview, and will. But I did confirm that my HCE is perfectly acceptable to Albany Medical College- they list Pharmacy Technician on their site as approved experiences. And they never once told me, all the times we talked from 2010 when I first applied to now, that my HCE was any sort of a problem. They told me when I applied the first time that one of my classes was too old and I'd have to update it. I also applied late the first time and they mentioned that. I submitted my CASPA for early decision this time and was invited to an interview shortly after. I attended that in February and found out less than a week later that I was denied.

I believe that I represented myself as a novice at the interview. I went in expecting only to be asked about medicine, and if I were, I'd have been able to answer. I was prepared for that. But I was also nervous once I realized they weren't asking about medicine. They asked me about the environment in my area, they asked me about my plans regarding my family when I am in school and they asked me about my support system. The gentleman that asked me the environmental question regarding a known pollutant in the river in my area did not seem at all pleased with my answer since he stated it is not how he would handle it. I can explain more about what I said if need be. But I wasn't rude or anything- just confident in my own answer. After that I was so thrown that when they mentioned things I'd written in my personal statement, even though I know this is practically a cardinal sin in the PA profession, I stumbled and used the words "Physician's Assistant". I kick myself for that because I was well aware of how that is received by PAs, but I was nervous and trying so hard not to screw up that I did. And I don't have a doubt that it was part of the issue because I got a frosty reception from the previously mentioned gentleman after that. All of that added up definitely makes me think I did not put my best foot forward or "shine" as many of you mentioned.

I also believe that even though I do know I want to be a PA, I may not have communicated that clearly. Obviously I came off as though I knew nothing about the profession from my big no-no fumble. Next time I will have done my homework so well that I will be able to have a stronger interview.

HCE I am finding through my research is not as huge a factor at some schools. To be honest, I am 34 years old, I have 2 children, and in this economy even the $60K my spouse and I bring in together can be a challenge at times. I do not want to spend another year or so racking up more HCE unless I get denied this time around on that basis. But to keep that from being a big factor, I've decided to apply to a host of schools that base their decisions more on academics than on HCE. I am fortunate in that my spouse will go wherever I get in, so I can apply pretty much anywhere in the country as long as I meet the requirements. Right now, I'm looking at AT Still University (I spoke with them on the phone regarding HCE and she said it is not necessary, but only enhances the application; from their website I garner that they are more interested in your academic record), Quinnipiac, Yale (because it's Yale- I don't really even dream of getting in), Franklin Pierce, Chatham, MCPHS, PCOM, PhilaU, Drexel, Towson, Arcadia, Salus, Seton Hill, UW Madison, Denver, and Baylor. Even though some of those require HCE, a lot of the numbers are lower and mention PA shadowing a lot.

However, on that note I also want to clarify something about being a Pharmacy Technician. Certainly a person can walk in off of the street and obtain a job in the pharmacy. But I started out doing minimal things, and then I went through a 4 month training course, and became certified and licensed. That was a few years ago, and since then I have been promoted to the Senior Technician and manage the other staff with the exception of the Pharmacists I work with. They trust me a great deal and all wrote recommendation letters for me. What I do is much more than just cashiering and as I joked earlier, putting pills in bottles. I'm on the phone with patients about their medications constantly, and with insurance companies. I help counsel patients about their drugs, and yes, contraindications, indications, etc... all day long. And please understand I am not full of myself here; this is simply a fact- I save lives doing what I do. You wouldn't believe how many doctors and other healthcare providers that write scripts mess up. I catch those mistakes all the time and on more than one occasion, I have prevented patients from having serious adverse reactions when they've been prescribed things they are allergic to, that interact with other drugs, etc... It is definitely Pharmacists and Certified Pharmacy Technicians that know drugs better than anyone. I take my position there very seriously and have been told over and over again that I should become a Pharmacist. Only, I want to be a PA because I want to help people more than I can help them as a Pharmacy Technician and I want to be able to do more than just work with patients about their medications. I enjoy the whole medical process from examination to diagnosis to treatment. That's not something you can do on just any medical path.

But even so, please value Pharmacy Technicians- a lot of them work incredibly hard both behind the scenes and on the front lines to ensure your safety as patients. I am glad that at some schools my experience matters.

First, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply and give me feedback. I'm keeping track of all the different suggestions. It is definitely good to hear that my stats are well regarded. And to those that agreed it was more likely the interview that got me the rejection, I truly believe that to be the case. I can elaborate more on the interview, and will. But I did confirm that my HCE is perfectly acceptable to Albany Medical College- they list Pharmacy Technician on their site as approved experiences. And they never once told me, all the times we talked from 2010 when I first applied to now, that my HCE was any sort of a problem. They told me when I applied the first time that one of my classes was too old and I'd have to update it. I also applied late the first time and they mentioned that. I submitted my CASPA for early decision this time and was invited to an interview shortly after. I attended that in February and found out less than a week later that I was denied.

I believe that I represented myself as a novice at the interview. I went in expecting only to be asked about medicine, and if I were, I'd have been able to answer. I was prepared for that. But I was also nervous once I realized they weren't asking about medicine. They asked me about the environment in my area, they asked me about my plans regarding my family when I am in school and they asked me about my support system. The gentleman that asked me the environmental question regarding a known pollutant in the river in my area did not seem at all pleased with my answer since he stated it is not how he would handle it. I can explain more about what I said if need be. But I wasn't rude or anything- just confident in my own answer. After that I was so thrown that when they mentioned things I'd written in my personal statement, even though I know this is practically a cardinal sin in the PA profession, I stumbled and used the words "Physician's Assistant". I kick myself for that because I was well aware of how that is received by PAs, but I was nervous and trying so hard not to screw up that I did. And I don't have a doubt that it was part of the issue because I got a frosty reception from the previously mentioned gentleman after that. All of that added up definitely makes me think I did not put my best foot forward or "shine" as many of you mentioned.

I also believe that even though I do know I want to be a PA, I may not have communicated that clearly. Obviously I came off as though I knew nothing about the profession from my big no-no fumble. Next time I will have done my homework so well that I will be able to have a stronger interview.

HCE I am finding through my research is not as huge a factor at some schools. To be honest, I am 34 years old, I have 2 children, and in this economy even the $60K my spouse and I bring in together can be a challenge at times. I do not want to spend another year or so racking up more HCE unless I get denied this time around on that basis. But to keep that from being a big factor, I've decided to apply to a host of schools that base their decisions more on academics than on HCE. I am fortunate in that my spouse will go wherever I get in, so I can apply pretty much anywhere in the country as long as I meet the requirements. Right now, I'm looking at AT Still University (I spoke with them on the phone regarding HCE and she said it is not necessary, but only enhances the application; from their website I garner that they are more interested in your academic record), Quinnipiac, Yale (because it's Yale- I don't really even dream of getting in), Franklin Pierce, Chatham, MCPHS, PCOM, PhilaU, Drexel, Towson, Arcadia, Salus, Seton Hill, UW Madison, Denver, and Baylor. Even though some of those require HCE, a lot of the numbers are lower and mention PA shadowing a lot.

However, on that note I also want to clarify something about being a Pharmacy Technician. Certainly a person can walk in off of the street and obtain a job in the pharmacy. But I started out doing minimal things, and then I went through a 4 month training course, and became certified and licensed. That was a few years ago, and since then I have been promoted to the Senior Technician and manage the other staff with the exception of the Pharmacists I work with. They trust me a great deal and all wrote recommendation letters for me. What I do is much more than just cashiering and as I joked earlier, putting pills in bottles. I'm on the phone with patients about their medications constantly, and with insurance companies. I help counsel patients about their drugs, and yes, contraindications, indications, etc... all day long. And please understand I am not full of myself here; this is simply a fact- I save lives doing what I do. You wouldn't believe how many doctors and other healthcare providers that write scripts mess up. I catch those mistakes all the time and on more than one occasion, I have prevented patients from having serious adverse reactions when they've been prescribed things they are allergic to, that interact with other drugs, etc... It is definitely Pharmacists and Certified Pharmacy Technicians that know drugs better than anyone. I take my position there very seriously and have been told over and over again that I should become a Pharmacist. Only, I want to be a PA because I want to help people more than I can help them as a Pharmacy Technician and I want to be able to do more than just work with patients about their medications. I enjoy the whole medical process from examination to diagnosis to treatment. That's not something you can do on just any medical path.

But even so, please value Pharmacy Technicians- a lot of them work incredibly hard both behind the scenes and on the front lines to ensure your safety as patients. I am glad that at some schools my experience matters.

I think your hce is fine uf its on their list, and not to beat a dead horse, but hone your interview. If they invited you, i dont see why your hce on your app is the problem. The Rodican book is a simple read that may help along with mocks, mirror interviews and nailing down your points in your app and ps. I think you apply next year and your in!

Wish u the best in your endeavor!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I think your hce is fine uf its on their list, and not to beat a dead horse, but hone your interview. If they invited you, i dont see why your hce on your app is the problem. The Rodican book is a simple read that may help along with mocks, mirror interviews and nailing down your points in your app and ps. I think you apply next year and your in!

Wish u the best in your endeavor!

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to bump this up. I decided to sit out the fall 2013 program applications in order to focus on adding more healthcare experience. I was able to get on with a volunteer EMS squad in August and just got voted in as a full member. I now have more than 4000 hours of HCE between my pharmacy technician work and my EMT volunteering and I am submitting two applications to January 2014 programs- MCPHS Worcester and Albany once more. If no luck this round, I'll be applying again for the fall 2014 programs when time comes. I do feel like I have a better chance this time simply because I really had no idea until I actually became an EMT. Now I get it- what having strong HCE means- and I feel like I am a stronger candidate because of that.

Just wanted to bump this up. I decided to sit out the fall 2013 program applications in order to focus on adding more healthcare experience. I was able to get on with a volunteer EMS squad in August and just got voted in as a full member. I now have more than 4000 hours of HCE between my pharmacy technician work and my EMT volunteering and I am submitting two applications to January 2014 programs- MCPHS Worcester and Albany once more. If no luck this round, I'll be applying again for the fall 2014 programs when time comes. I do feel like I have a better chance this time simply because I really had no idea until I actually became an EMT. Now I get it- what having strong HCE means- and I feel like I am a stronger candidate because of that.

Not only are you a stronger applicant you are potentially a stronger provider.

"Experience is the best teacher."

-some wise, probably old, dude.

Archived