urine culture interp

^^ good point. 

The lab states that  ABX sets they use for sensitivity results  have been pre-determined by infectious disease based on the bacteria that grows out.  

.. And when reported as negative for beta lactamase,  any beta-lactam antibiotic will cover.

This patient was treated with Amoxil. 

32 minutes ago, quietmedic said:

I'd guess there's some microbiological reason why one is different than another...that being said I have always been curious if there's any particular difference between Cipro and Levo when it comes to UTIs (although Levo is more typically for pyelonephritis)...

It’s more about where it penetrates than coverage with cipro vs levo vs moxi 

Onlinemeded Antibiotic ladder about 9:40 seconds in, some jazz about while all flouroquinolones move through both the lungs and urinary tract, they both can work, but cipro, being what it is, has higher activity against gram negative organisms, which co-incidentally may be some of the organisms in the land down under.  uptodate recommends abroad spectrum antibiotic for pyelo, given possibly E. coli, pseudomonas, and others; levaquin maybe more broad spectrum than cipro but uptodate does not state a particular benefit over any particular flouroquinolone (unless I read it wrong).

onlinemeded is the best.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, thinkertdm said:

Onlinemeded Antibiotic ladder about 9:40 seconds in, some jazz about while all flouroquinolones move through both the lungs and urinary tract, they both can work, but cipro, being what it is, has higher activity against gram negative organisms, which co-incidentally may be some of the organisms in the land down under.  uptodate recommends abroad spectrum antibiotic for pyelo, given possibly E. coli, pseudomonas, and others; levaquin maybe more broad spectrum than cipro but uptodate does not state a particular benefit over any particular flouroquinolone (unless I read it wrong).

onlinemeded is the best.

I just sat here and watched that entire lecture and really enjoyed it. I am refreshed to know that it was almost entirely review and not in the - Shit that I don't know and seriously wonder how I've gotten this far without it - category.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 0:19 PM, SCPA said:

^^ good point. 

The lab states that  ABX sets they use for sensitivity results  have been pre-determined by infectious disease based on the bacteria that grows out.  

.. And when reported as negative for beta lactamase,  any beta-lactam antibiotic will cover.

This patient was treated with Amoxil. 

It's been a while since I have treated a UTI, but why would one use amoxicillin?  If I remember correctly, it has poor penetrance/bioavailability in the urinary tract.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, SCPA said:

why report both cipro and levofloxacin?

if the bacteria is betalactamase negative are ALL betalactams fair game? Obviously ampicillin is listed here but what about amoxil or keflex etc.. 

culture.JPG

This is a Urines' culture Sensitivity interpretation, No?  I thought we you were going to talk about colony #'s, #'s of squamous cells, nitrites, etc.

Nice comments btw, great crowd!

Archived