Help Finding PCE?

Hi guys. 

I just found this page and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm eager to start getting PCE but every position requires further schooling. Has anyone been able to obtain an entry level position that trained you on the job? I don't have any sort of personal connections with anyone in the health care field so I'm finding this portion of undergrad a little difficult. Should I just bite the bullet and register for more schooling to be a medical assistant or phlebotomist? Please Help. 

Hi guys. 
I just found this page and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm eager to start getting PCE but every position requires further schooling. Has anyone been able to obtain an entry level position that trained you on the job? I don't have any sort of personal connections with anyone in the health care field so I'm finding this portion of undergrad a little difficult. Should I just bite the bullet and register for more schooling to be a medical assistant or phlebotomist? Please Help. 

Some programs you can find are relatively short, but I’m currently a physical therapy aide and I got my training on the job. I recommend you get something similar to jumpstart your hours and you could always get further training once you already have a position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of places will hire you without a certification to be an MA and train you in house. I did the US career institute online MA program and it took me about 2 weeks. Completing it allowed me to sit for the CCMA exam. I went from nothing to a certified MA in less than a month. I found that the CCMA opened more doors for me than CNA. But I think that is more hospital dependent about what they wanted. The benefit the CCMA gave me was that I could do more than the CNA. We could start IV's, perform venipuncture, give shots, perform wound care, apply splents, etc. I got tons of hands on experience. The CNA's were more restricted to non invasive things such as ekg's and drawing blood from lines already started. Again, this is just where I worked

@mooredc

First , thank you for suggesting the online program at U.S. career Institute. This looks like a lifesaver. I work full time and I am looking for a quick way to get certified. 

I was wondering why you chose Medical Assistant as opposed to PCT? I live in New Jersey and I got the impression PCT was a little more hands on or clinical.

Any input would be so appreciated. 

Thanks!

M

Like everyone else said, you can probably find a number of places to train you on the job, depending on where you live. I'm from New Jersey, and from what I've seen, a lot of hospitals hire patient care techs without needing certification. I ended up being hired as a medical assistant at two offices that just trained me on-site. It ended up being the most direct way of getting experience without having to jump through too many hoops.

I also started as a physical therapy aide because it was the only type of PCE that - in California - didn’t require a cert and that counted for all schools. There are more and more schools accepting scribe hours as PCE. It can be difficult to get a job as a scribe but they usually only require medical terminology (which you generally need for PA school anyway) and good typing skills. With either job, you could do EMT or CNA training concurrently. There are 2 week EMT courses but they’re expensive. I did mine at a junior college over a semester while working as a PT aide. I think the ideal combination of experience would be scribe and EMT. I really wish I had time left before school to scribe because it’s great experience.

Also FWIW I got in with physical therapy aide experience only, so you don’t necessarily have to get “better” PCE than that. But it certainly doesn’t hurt if you can.

Archived