Flight Medic vs Army Medic for Experience

I'm currently a reserve army medic going to school and working at a civilian hospital. I have the opportunity to become a flight medic but the training isn’t very practical for me right now since I am still trying to finish my bachelor's degree. Would being a flight medic over a standard army medic help me in the admissions process to PA school? Or would army medic be attractive enough? 

A little background, my other experience includes 6 months patient transporter, 2 years Cath Lab CNA, 2 years Blood Draw Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist, 6 years Army Reserve Medic 

Thank you for any advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if either really matters.  On a side note I was an active Army medic then went to the Guard as a flight medic.  I personally loved being a flight medic with my group of guys and enjoyed it.  I sadly stopped being a flight medic because my first PA job in a round about way made it known I would not get the job if I stayed guard.  Ironically a 20 year retired Air Force surgeon was the one who was doing the interview.  I chose to get out  and regret it.  Basically I am saying if you want to be a flight medic go be a flight medic!  

I was a flight medic in Afghanistan when I applied for PA school.  I think that made my application stick out and I got an interview/accepted. Back then there was only 1,100 applications for like 48 seats (my numbers might be a little off).  Having written references for scribes to go to PA school it seems to be more applicants for the same amount of seats. 

In conclusion I don't think being a flight medic will make a huge measurable difference, but I loved my flight medic experience and would do it again. 

• 1 month later...

If you mean flight medic through the Army then yes as the current standard is that all flight medics receive paramedic training and for IPAP that is a definite benefit. If you get the prerequisites done and apply to IPAP you CAN go on a reserve slot which means after IPAP you go back to the reserves with a 6 or 8 year commitment. Also you get free IPAP and don't have to finish the Bachelors before you start. If you plan on leaving the reserves this doesn't work but if you plan to stay in the reserve I don't think any civilian program offers the same benefits.

Archived