Flight Medic vs Army Medic for Experience

I'm currently a reserve army medic going to school and working at a civilian hospital. I have the opportunity to become a flight medic but the training isn’t very practical for me right now since I am still trying to finish my bachelor's degree. Would being a flight medic over a standard army medic help me in the admissions process to PA school? Or would army medic be attractive enough?

A little background, my other experience includes 6 months patient transporter, 2 years Cath Lab CNA, 2 years Blood Draw Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist, 6 years Army Reserve Medic 

Thank you for any advice!

Honestly Flight Medic jobs are fantastic experience and are pretty hard to come by often times. My guess is you will get a lot more exposure in a shorter time period as a flight medic. All the medics I know that have working in rotor wing transport are some of the smartest medics I know and have taken care of patients that typical ground transport units will never see.

As far as I understand, (I'm guessing you're talking about civilian flight medic vs regular Army medic) Is that a regular Army medic (I was 11Bang-Bang) Is the equivalent of an EMT-Basic with some advanced trauma and IV therapy training.  Our medics were amazing and had exposure to lots of real life mass casualty and "trauma-1" type events.  However civilian flight medics are going to be EMT-P (paramedic) trained with several years of 911 experience, Critical Care and Flight Paramedic training and are pretty much the top echelon of EMS providers.  As far as Army flight medics I could not comment as to their level of training and experience but I would guess it's a little more strenuous than regular Army medics.  Any of the above though are great ways to get PCE, especially any type of military medicine since that's kind of how we got started as a profession.  As always it's what fits your personality and situation the best.

Archived