License renewal during PA school?

Hi all,

I'm starting PA school this May, however, my phlebotomy license is up for renewal this June. I know it's never good to let a license expire because I would have to go through all the training again if I ever wanted to practice phlebotomy in the future. BUT it does cost money to renew and I technically wouldn't need it as a physician assistant. Do PA students and working physician assistants typically keep renewing their professional licenses if they don't ever use it? Note that I am referring to phlebotomy, MA, etc NOT PA-C license. 

Thank you!

Interesting question. I doubt any do keep renewing their licenses they had prior to PA-C. 

I myself will be renewing my cardiac sonographer license this June, which will be good for another three years. For me, the renewal cost is small considering the amount of loan I am about to take on for PA school. This will also be a back up plan just in case PA school does not pan out (I hope it doesn't come to that). And finally, I want to keep this license as long as I possibly can because I am not ready to let it go, hahaha. Been doing this for over 9 years. 

Like yourself, I wonder what others have done. 

I'm going to renew my lab license one last time...just in case.  Not using it during school and not planning to use it after but if it takes a while to get hired/licensed/start a PA job I have it to fall back on if necessary.

If it isn't cost prohibitive might be worth it in case you find yourself needing some spending money before real life as a PA kicks in.

I just re-certified my registry and state paramedic certs. It's pretty common for former paramedics working in EM to keep the credential up. I don't know of any dual PA-C/phlebotomists, though. I think I'd base the decision on how much time/effort it would take to get it back if you ever decide you needed it....like between graduation and starting work, as stated above.

I renewed my National Registry as a medic while in PA school. The program manager signed a letter indicating that hours I had had in PA school on each of the required areas. I also rode two nights a month with my EMS unit.

Keep your other cards if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator

The difference between EMT/Paramedic (the former of which I have kept since I earned it in 2006, four years prior to PA school) and a phlebotomy license, as I understand it, is that the entirety of phlebotomy practice is subsumed under PA practice.  EMT and Paramedic have different prehospital roles, defined in law, that are NOT 100% covered by PA.

In my case, when working as an EMT I don't get to tube people in the field, even though I have done so on a surgery rotation.  Nor do I get to start lines, push drugs, or start BiPAP, even though those are certainly within both my PA scope and skillset.  This isn't a big deal, as I work in a county with plenty of medics who treat me like a peer and will routinely go over medical ddx'es and read ECGs with me, even though we all know our training has different emphases.

Archived