Respiratory Therapy to PA

Hello everyone. This tread is directed at those who have gone the route of RT to PA but anyone who can help is welcome to comment. My situation is that, I have decided I will be doing respiratory therapy program at my local CC while also pursing BS online from the local university and I was just wondering if the classes I take while in the RT program will be counted towards my sGPA and even my cGPA in CASPA? Also, for HCE, is working in mental health hospital as a tech be considered good HCE? Thanks for your inputs. 

Hello everyone. This tread is directed at those who have gone the route of RT to PA but anyone who can help is welcome to comment. My situation is that, I have decided I will be doing respiratory therapy program at my local CC while also pursing BS online from the local university and I was just wondering if the classes I take while in the RT program will be counted towards my sGPA and even my cGPA in CASPA? Also, for HCE, is working in mental health hospital as a tech be considered good HCE? Thanks for your inputs. 
Check out the FAQ's in CASPA. EVERY college course you take will contribute to your GPA. Whether or not it goes toward the sGPA will depend on how it's classified in CASPA. You can also find that in the FAQ's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All of your RT classes will count towards your sgpa (under ‘other science’) and obviously cgpa. I’m currently in my second semester of my BSRT program. RT is pretty cool, you’ll have a great foundation in patient assessment and know more about the heart and lungs than you ever thought you wanted to know. Opportunity to have a backup career and gain quality hce while waiting to get accepted were some of the reasons I chose this route. Good luck with everything 

I was a RT for 4 years before going to PA school. The RT classes should count towards sgpa. I would recommend working a couple years as a RT before going to PA school, this will give you excellent HCE as well as helping you out with your patient assessment skills and medical knowledge base. Also, you will get to make some $$$ which is nice. Plus as mentioned above if you don't get in to PA school you will have a great career still. I would say HCE as a RT would be higher weighted then a tech in a mental health hospital. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree wholeheartedly with lancer_dancer01. I was a RT for 4 years prior to going to PA school as well, and it was experience that is invaluable, and it is hard to understand while you are still a RT student. Nothing prepares you to be standing in a room while there is blood flying and a patient crashing while you are expected to stay calm, trouble shoot and direct like actually doing it. EXPERIENCE MATTERS. 

You will never have to wonder whether or not your HCE is good enough with working as a RT under your belt. Learning how to assess, communicate, and the ins and outs of the hospital is not something you get in a lot of professions. And you get to make a pretty good income while your working, not just working for the hours. Good Luck!!

• 4 years later...

There are 3 year part time programs out there, like Drexel, which allow you to work the first and second year and do a full time 3rd clinical year. There are no shortcuts, even for foreign physicians.. You will need to complete 100% of the clinicals and didactics and pass the national exam.