1 hour ago, jyjoey10 said:

Hey I'll be attending, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Congratulations!

I just posted about Facebook groups for the class of 2020 on the main application cycle page. Right after I posted I saw this page! I will be attending the Miami Campus as well. I am so excited to meet everyone!!

Also, just a heads up I will be looking for roomies as it gets closer. I am not from Florida so I am looking to save money anywhere I can! 

• Upvote 1

Hey everyone, just got accepted this afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everybody! I'll be coming from Arizona, so roomies would be awesome.

-Eric

• Upvote 1

Hey guys! I am a current first year (class of 2019) at Barry and would love to answer any questions you may have. I know the waiting process isn't easy and a lot of questions come up, so let me know! It may take me a few days to respond but I definitely will :) Congrats on getting accepted! 

When is the white coat ceremony? What safe communities around the university do students usually live and are there any places that we should avoid?

10 hours ago, ecollent said:

When is the white coat ceremony? What safe communities around the university do students usually live and are there any places that we should avoid?

Our orientation was from Aug. 14-18th and the white coat ceremony was on the 1st day of orientation (yours will probably be around the same days). 

Everyone lives in different areas and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues safety-wise. Most common areas are Brickell, North Bay Village, and Aventura (those are also the pricier areas unless you have a roommate or two). The only area I would recommend to not live is directly west of school (Little Haiti) or Overtown. I'm living in an efficiency (a studio that's part of a larger house) in an area called the Roads and it takes me exactly 12 minutes to get to school. 

I'm actually a local (originally lived about 40 miles south of school so I decided to move closer for didactic year) so if you have any other questions about Miami let me know! 

Hi everyone!

I was accepted last week and can't wait to meet you guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew how the tuition worked? I know its $32,800 per year, but what about those last four months of school (didactic 2)?

I hope everyone has a great day!

To those who have paid their deposit, I am having trouble seeing how to do this online! I was given my student ID number with my acceptance letter, but when I login into myBarry, do not see where to make this payment. Anyone that can help?

1 hour ago, Morgan2940 said:

To those who have paid their deposit, I am having trouble seeing how to do this online! I was given my student ID number with my acceptance letter, but when I login into myBarry, do not see where to make this payment. Anyone that can help?

Have you already emailed ms.spence about the acceptance? she sends instructions on it all. This was in an email she sent me "

f you have not already done so, please follow the instructions on how to create a MyBarry account using the email address we have on file. If for whatever reason you create an account and do not see the option to make a payment, please allow 24-48 hours for your account to link to our system. If you still have issues after 48 hours, contact the HelpDesk(305-899-3604). Please explain that you have just been accepted to the PA Program and you are attempting to pay your enrollment deposit through MyBarry."

On 2/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, sndunham94 said:

Hi everyone!

I was accepted last week and can't wait to meet you guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew how the tuition worked? I know its $32,800 per year, but what about those last four months of school (didactic 2)?

I hope everyone has a great day!

4 months is 1/3 of a year, so it's approximately 11k.

Hello all, 

I interviewed on the 26th and was accepted! Excited to see a few from my interview session :). Jamie (from PA)

I got accepted In January and I’ll be attending the Miami campus!! :) Im from West Palm Beach, FL about an hour north of the school and will be moving down to the area!

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely interested in a roommate/roommates, but I think it's better to wait until the final cohort has been selected and a Facebook group has been created! 

• Upvote 3

Hey guys, interviewed the 19th, found out that following Wednesday I was accepted. Also, coming from Pennsylvania so all about the roommate situation. My uncle coaching football at Florida International, so I have eyes down there to check out places and where best not to stay. Congrats to everyone and I'm really excited to meet everyone! 

I was accepted today from the 2/2 interview in Miami! I can't wait to meet everyone! 

• Upvote 3

I was also accepted today from the 2/2 interview in Miami. I look forward to meeting you guys! - Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ccaspiringpa
      Hi, I wanted to start this topic to see if anyone doing the MPH/MPA dual degree program is active on the forum! I hope to hear back soon!
    • By NPthePA2018
      Undergrad Ed School: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
      Major (GPA) // Minor (GPA) : Biology (3.58) with 2 minors in Chemistry (2.9) & Psychology (4.0)
      Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.68
      Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.58
      Post Bachelor GPA: N/A
      Age at application time : 22
      1st GRE - V: 141 Q: 150 W: 3.0 // I unfortunately scheduled the GRE after taking 2 summer finals (Physics and Psychology of Individual Differences) so this score is pretty much a baseline for how I would do with minimal / no studying. 
      2nd GRE - V: 149 Q 161 W: 3.0 // The GRE prep I used was Magoosh and they did not have an analytical practice section so my AW score was the same, but my verbal and quantitative scores improved tremendously! Magoosh usually has pretty good sales for a 6 month subscription for $125 (regular price of 1 month subscription) around January and July. 
      Direct Patient Care : (Patient Care Technician / CNA)
      Cerebrovascular / Diabetic floor (2 years ~2,500 hours)
      Float pool / Anywhere in the hospital (~500 hours)
      Extracurricular / Leadership / Research Activities: 
      Greek organization // Junior and Senior scholarship committee
      Pre-PA club // Treasurer 2 full terms 
      UTC Medical Society // Member
      Volunteer for local hospital, Adult and Children's Emergency Room (200 hours) Children's Believe Campaign and St. Jude Up till Dawn participant (~25 hours), Girls on the Run (~10 hours)
      Supporter of various organizations such as Ronald McDonald House, Make A Wish foundation, TC Thomson's Children's Hospital, Girl Scouts of America 
      LOR
      PA in Neurosurgical and Spine Unit (Shadowed 150 hours)
      RN who's director/manager of Neuroscience (Known for 2 years)
      RN Clinical Staff Leader (Known for 1 year)
      Professor who I had 3 classes in Microbiology (B) , Immunology (A), and Microbial Ecology (A) 
      Saving one more recommendation request for a potential PA or MD 
      Personal Statement Topic: I talked about my personal childhood struggles with many health issues in my family & how I wanted to pursue a career that provides access to healthcare . I then weaned into my work experience at the hospital and mentoring. Ended it with a description of the PA I shadowed and all the qualities that I believe I had to be an important asset in healthcare.
      Schools Applied: Six. UTHSC, South College - Knoxville, South College - Nashville,  Lincoln Memorial University, Lipscomb University, and UAB
      Application Submitted Date:
      06/03 for UTSHC, LMU, and UAB
      Late June for South College Knoxville and Lipscomb
      Mid August for South College- Nashville
      Schools Received Application Date: Most of the schools received my application in less than a week after it was verified. Verified 2 days after I submitted my CASPA application. 
      Interview Invites: LMU
      Denied: UTHSC
      Waitlisted: UAB
      Accepted: N/A
      Attempts: 2nd (Applied pretty late 1st cycle to 1 school because of graduation/deadline issues so this theoretically would be my 1st real application cycle) 
      Plan B if all else fails:
      1. Pursue an accelerated Masters in Pharmacology to compensate all this waiting since most of these PA schools matriculate in August 2019 
      2. Take the MCAT. Some PA schools allow MCAT scores and would be a good refresher in basic prerequisite courses. 
      3. Shadow MD's, PA"s, NP's, PT's 
      I would greatly appreciate all the strengths and weaknesses in my current application. Any other ideas to improve my application would be helpful as well. Thank you guys so much! 
    • By skram
      Hello everyone! So, I am very thankful to have gotten into both SBU & Desales, but I am struggling to decide between them... Stony Brook is in-state for me and 15 mins away from home, so the tuition is significantly cheaper than DeSales’ ($53,000 as opposed to DeSales’ $79,000), and I wouldn't need to pay rent.

I am struggling because even though SBU would be much cheaper overall, and has an excellent reputation and ranking, I just did not feel like I connected with the faculty there, and I wasn’t very excited after the interview. Even though the programs are both 24 months, SBU seemed more rigorous and fast-paced. The students at SBU also seemed a bit older, which makes me feel like I'd be the inexperienced one of the bunch. Another concern is that I don't really want to live at home. Living with my family would save me money, but it may also drive me crazy with the added stress of PA school ? I would most likely want to live on LI no matter what school I go to though, and so going to SBU may make it easier to get a job in the area once I graduate. SBU also ends in May, which I've heard is better for new PA grads in terms of job hunting.
      On the other hand, DeSales is a bit more expensive, but definitely not as expensive as some programs out there. It has clinical experiences during the didactic year, such as a student-run free clinic and shadowing that I would not have at SBU.  I also really connected with the faculty there and could picture myself going there and being happy. DeSales also had a brand-new, huge simulation lab that the PA students get to use a lot. DeSales is also one of the only programs in that area, you get more one-on-one time during clinical rotations, whereas w/ SBU, you’re with other LI PA students and med students.

Some stats:

PANCE 5-yr pass rates: SBU-97%, DeSales-100%

Class size: SBU-44, DeSales-80

Campus: SBU-within a hospital & affiliated w/ med school, DeSales- w/in an undergrad campus

Both have full cadaver dissection labs

Electives: both have 1 elective

Start date: SBU- June, DeSales- August
      PBL classes: SBU- have only about 4 of these activities throughout didactic year, DeSales- small group class discussion twice every week throughout all of didactic

Overall, the main things that would drive me to go to SBU are the low cost and the ranking. Otherwise, I like DeSales more. Some insight on this dilemma would be much appreciated!!

• By irisheyes
      Hello! I feel blessed to be coming to you guys with such a problem, but it's been weighing on me and need advice from current PA-S's and PA-C's.
      I have been accepted to two schools: School A which is 20 minutes away from my current living space and School B which is closer to my parents, but still about an hour away. Schools A and B seem pretty comparable in terms of curriculum, program length (A: 27 mo versus B: 25 mo), PANCE pass rates (A: 97 versus B: 99), tuition (a difference of 3K), and employment rates after graduation. The main differences that I see are that school B is associated with a medical school, so networking opportunities and strength in name and that school B will end up costing almost 40K more due to cost of living expenses. School B was my top choice prior to interviewing but was not the first school to get back to me, therefore, I have not placed my deposit. School B is also where most of my college friends settled and has an opportunity for research, which is important to me. School A has cheaper living costs, and somewhat of a support system from my current workplace friends.
      l have seen two basic schools of thought for this quandary, which include:
      Go to the cheapest school, you'll thank yourself later. Go to the school that you will regret not going to if you choose otherwise.   Do you agree with either of these or have your own idea based on your own experience? Any anecdotes proving either correct or other statements would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    • Guest TopShotta
      By Guest TopShotta
      Interview Starts at 1:44 , Cooment , Like, Share, Subscribe
      Pre-PA Student Interview

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More