postbac mishap, advice on next steps for this non-trad

Hello everyone - I'm posting on here for the first time in hopes of getting advice from anyone about my pre-PA situation. I'll try to be brief:

I was your traditional pre-med in undergrad, bio major, always jumping back and forth between going for PA or applying to med school. My first 2 years of undergrad were, irresponsible, and I paid for it with my gpa. Senior year I decided on going the MD/DO route and a mentor encouraged me to apply for a special master's program (aka postbac) to boost up my chances of admission. Didn't take the MCAT (wasn't needed) and got into a postbac. During 1st year of postbac, we were thrown into the fire taking the EXACT SAME courses as the first year med students. I was in over my head and did not do well due to some anxiety issues. The school allowed to take the spring semester off to return the following year to re-do and hopefully finish the program. 2nd year, didn't do so hot either but was able to pass 7 out of 9 med school classes. If you don't pass 2 or more classes you get dismissed from the program - I decided to withdraw before finding out if that would be my fate.

After a few years of therapy from the depression of thinking my dreams were over and taking up a job in an entirely new field, I now find myself re-energized and wanting to make this happen. The more I've research the PA route, the more I realize how in line it is with what I now value. I truly miss being in healthcare and PA would allow me to also have a life outside of that.

I'm almost 30 now and have taken A&P 1 and 2 at a local CC just to get my feet wet but wondering what my chances are of getting into PA school? A few details:

3.36 non-science cumulative gpa (undergrad)

3.33 science gpa (undergrad)

2.49 cumulative/science gpa (graduate postbac) 

HCE - 6 months FT work as PT aide, and numerous public health experiences that may or may not count towards hours as well.

GRE - 152 verbal, 148 math, 4.0; willing to retake this as I studied very little to get into postbac.

To give you some background on me, first in my family to graduate college so I've faced many hurdles to get where I am today. Not expecting any free passes from this, just thought it was worth mentioning as I'm a pretty resilient person. HIT ME with your thoughts, looking for cold hard truths here.

Also should mention that I briefly entertained going the accelerated BSN and later NP route, currently have an acceptance to an accelerated BSN which I could start this spring but in truth, not interested in the nursing model. 

Your undergrad gpa wasn't bad to begin with. But that postbacc gpa is really going to hurt you.. doing worse in a postbacc is a huge red flag and especially due to the fact it was with medical students :/ I would maybe reevaluate how you're studying and then continue on with postbacc courses consisting of upper level science courses. Get A's and do this for a few years until your last 60 credits is a 4.0. There's really no exceptions here.. otherwise I would go the NP route, which is a more guaranteed way to be a provider. 

What would happen if you applied and didn't get in?  If it would absolutely crush you, then don't take the chance. But if you could bounce back, then apply and simply send in an explanation that you had some medical problems to sort during your post-bacc, and that your more recent coursework is more similar to what you are capable of. Do well in your current classes at community college and take whatever else you need to get in. Re-do any required courses that you didn't do well in. But otherwise, move on, apply, and see what happens.

Source: had a shitty undergrad 1.0 due to extenuating circumstances (including chronic mental health issues).  Am still interviewing with a couple schools in the near future.

Sunshine

Since you are already accepted into a nursing program this may be your best bet and possibly the path of least resistance.  

I am curious as to what you mean when you say 

The more I've research the PA route, the more I realize how in line it is with what I now value. I truly miss being in healthcare and PA would allow me to also have a life outside of that.” 

I feel for your situation and will try to give you my honest evaluation of your situation.

The SMP is going to sting. Outside of A/P, which I'm assuming you took alone (4 units at a time), the SMP is the majority of your recent coursework. So when schools look at your app, they are going to see that your most recent academic performance is poor, or at least below the 3.0 cutoff. You're going to have to convince adcoms that you are up to the challenge of PA school. To that end, I would encourage you to enroll in more coursework (science classes and any lacking prereqs). Try to take a full load of 12 units at a time if possible so you can fully demonstrate your ability to handle coursework. Some prereqs can expire depending on the program so be aware of that if you took them years ago in undergrad. Your GRE is fine but if you wanted to improve it, it might help a little. The main thing is what I mentioned above: demonstrating a capacity to succeed academically. You've already done it once in undergrad (your grades were in the neighborhood of PA programs). Now you just need to show that right now, where you are in life currently, you are prepared to succeed in grad school. AKA, most recent coursework.

I also considered applying to some nursing programs (MSN direct entry in which you get your RN and then continue to become an NP or similar advanced practice nurse). I came to the same conclusion; the nursing model isn't what I'm interested in. Also, I don't want to become an RN. Currently work as a CNA and while I have a great respect and admiration for nurses, it doesn't fit me or my skills. 

If you can picture yourself being an RN, than I would totally go that route. Some really great advantages: you can work as an RN and make good money while you pursue your NP. NP programs are easier to get into than PA. You would also have an entire year of BSN classes to reestablish your academic standing for when you apply for NP. 

7 hours ago, MCHAD said:

Since you are already accepted into a nursing program this may be your best bet and possibly the path of least resistance.  

I am curious as to what you mean when you say 

The more I've research the PA route, the more I realize how in line it is with what I now value. I truly miss being in healthcare and PA would allow me to also have a life outside of that.” 

Perhaps this was poorly worded on my part. Two things to break my statement down further: later in undergrad and in postbac I saw no path outside of medical school to become a provider; I realize now that there is more than one way to contribute to patient well being while still taking part in the diagnosis process. Additionally, I value work/life balance now and don't necessarily want to dedicate the next 7+ years to medical education; PA would afford me shorter training time and a healthier balance as a professional. 

I do agree with your 'path of least resistance' comment and I will definitely consider this further. Thanks for the response!

Archived