Hey everyone! Just looking for some advice/ input/ personal experience with applying to PA school. 

I graduated in May 2019 with a Bachelors of Science in Kinesiology with stats that were subpar at best. I’ve always known I wanted to be in medicine but struggled a lot with my science courses in undergrad. Since graduating I’ve retaken every single pre req (plus additional science classes) averaging about a 3.8 in my last 40 credits (still taking classes in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.) I’m planning to apply in June 2021 and at that time I will have 60 PostBac credits. 

Im hopeful to continue with an upwards trend for the remainder of my classes which should give me the following stats by June 2021: 

cgpa: 3.2

sgpa:3.2

In terms of PCE/HCE/Shadowing hours: 

I’m an ER scribe with about 1000 hours, planning to take my NREMT this month (delayed due to COVID) and I will begin working as an EMT as soon as I get my certification. I have about 200 HCE as a PT Aide and about 250 PCE through a trip to Nicaragua with Global Medical Brigades. I’m hoping to have over 2000 hours by the time I apply.
I work with many ED PA’s whom I have and plan to continue to shadow and I’ve shadowed and Oncology PA for about 20 hours. 

I have not taken my GRE yet but plan to take it in October. 

I’m mostly applying to schools who do more of a holistic admissions and consider a last 60 credit gpa along with some pre req grade replacement policy with hopes to emphasize my upwards trend in grades. 

What do you guys think about my stats?? Do any of you have experience applying as a low gpa non traditional student?? Do you guys have any tips for what I can improve? Tips for CASPA? 

Any advice/ input in general would be extremely helpful!! Thank you in advance!! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By 201920192019pa2019
      Hi all,
      I am a second semester PA student who was accepted with a low GPA directly out of undergrad. I am holding Zoom Advising sessions where I can help you figure out how you can improve your application and answer any questions you may have about the application process including personal statement review. The cost of each session is $10. Please send me a PM if you are interested! Thank you, and Good luck!
    • By caroline2021
      I am graduating this summer from undergrad at UCONN. I faced some personal issues during my sophomore year that caused me to take the spring semester off, and I probably jumped back into a full course load too soon because I struggled to get passing grades the returning semester and into the next year of school. Ultimately my GPA really suffered and I went from a 3.7 down below a 3. I am working to boost my gpa as much as possible before I graduate, but I know this will be the real cause of issue while applying to PA schools in the future. I have already accumulated over 1000 hours as a CNA in assisted living and hospital settings and I will have much more by the time I do apply. However, I know the real red flag of my application will be my horrible GPA. I am currently looking into applying to get a masters degree in biology or something in hope that it will show that I am capable of handling the rigor of PA school. If anyone has any suggestions on what major to apply to grad school, if this is even a beneficial idea, or anything to help I would greatly appreciate it. 
    • By toyosizai
      Hi, 

Just signed up for this forum. 

I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 

I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 

I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 

• By Jay017
      Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm new here.
      Hi, I need some advice! I already know I am not a traditional pre-pa student. Here are my stats:
      2017-2019:
      Biology of Cells - C
      A&P 1 - C
      A&P 2 - C
      Micro - C
      Genetics - C
      2020 (Spring, Summer, Fall):
      Gen Chem 1 - B
      Gen Chem 2 - A
      Organic Chem - B
      Organic Chem Lab - A

Spring 2020 GPA: 3.75
      Summer 2020 GPA: 3.67
      Fall 2020 GPA: 3.75 
      Compared to previous semesters an upward trend is definitely happening. It’s just I feel like it’s to late for that to count for much.

2021 Spring: 
      BioChem - TBD
      Physics 2 - TBD 

sGPA = 2.53 
      cGPA = 3.26

I already know that I have to do a post-bac, most likely a diy depending on how high I can get my gpa before graduation.
      The question is should I retake 1-2 classes I originally got a C in before I graduate? Or should I take classes like Organic Chem 2, Essential Physiology (Bio class), etc? I know that when doing my post-bac I will retake classes that I got a C in. So would it be a better decision to take upper-level classes before I graduate & retake lower-lever at my local community college? I could also retake classes from the college I’m graduating from its just more expensive.

Other stats:
      SpnGPA: 3.8 - Major
      PsyGPA: 3.8 - Minor
      Thanks for any help!
    • By mohmay
      Hello,
      To summarize, I'm a hopeful Pre-PA student who has unfortunately messed up quite a lot during my Undergraduate years and ended with a cGPA of 3.02 (my school offers grade-forgiveness), and a scGPA that I didn't even bother trying to calculate given that it would obviously be under a 3.0. This was due to personal arrogance in thinking I could handle such a rigorous courseload while also working and thus not taking it as seriously as I should. Thankfully, I was accepted into a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program and am enrolled currently in hopes of taking more advanced upper-level science courses to curb a low Undergrad GPA. As of now, my Graduate GPA is a 3.33 (and the pandemic has unfortunately made everyone's personal life very difficult in trying to focus on these heavy courses remotely and am expecting my GPA to take a dip). At this point, I am strongly de-motivated and feel that I may be wasting tuition on a degree that may not even benefit me in achieving my goal in becoming a PA. I have approximately 2,648 hours worth of medical scribing experience (2,124 working as an ED scribe in a level 1 trauma center and currently 524 as a Hospitalist Medicine Scribe) and about 831 hours of volunteer work at my local hospital's Emergency Department. I'm writing this in hopes of gaining some advice moving forward and truly appreciate any input anyone can give.
      -Thanks.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More