Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 

if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 

I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  

Your GPA needs work.  Until and unless you can get your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 each, I wouldn't waste money applying.  If you want to be a PA someday, you need 4.0 on everything here on out.

With that said, I know LPN employment comes in waves: some places hire them, then replace with RNs, then replace with LPNs...  MLT is probably more stable, but also likely dead-end and not patient care experience.

Ultimately, it will be far easier for you to go from LPN to DNP while working.  It'll take years, but it should be a more gradual progression, rather than trying to get into a PA program after years of hard labor just to bring up your GPA.  Nursing programs are non-selective, compared to PA programs, and many programs are designed for working professionals, while PA programs are not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JNOM26
      After completing my undergraduate degree in 2018, I began researching PA programs to apply to. Program after program, I quickly found out that I had made a mistake. Two mistakes actually. The first being not succeeding in my classes, and the other being not realizing how hard it would be to find a program that I would be eligible for. 
      My cumulative GPA from undergrad is 2.83. Since graduating, I have taken three classes. I have done well in them, but for my GPA to rise to a 3.0 will take a few years at this rate. It is difficult for me to increase my courseload since I work two jobs. A few advisors have told me to focus on my grades by taking a post-bac program or different master's program. I just don't think that it is financially feasible for me at the moment.
      Outside of my grades, I think that my experiences make me a noticeable candidate. I have around 40-50 shadowing hours, >1300 patient care hours, and many volunteer and leadership experiences. I work closely with a multi-disciplinary team in clinical research and cardiac monitoring and am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program for gerontology. 
      What are my chances of being accepted if I continue to work, volunteer, and take 1-2 courses every semester? or should I take the advice given by advisors and enter in another program before PA school? 
      Also, in regards to the programs that mention rare exceptions to their gpa criteria, does that more so apply to non-traditional applicants who are changing their careers? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks. 
    • By anteaterPA
      Hello! Looking for PAs to shadow in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles County, and/or Ventura County areas! I have been looking around with little/no luck, and most of the PAs in my area seem to work at the local Kaiser, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to shadow their PAs. If anyone knows of any PAs that would be willing to let a student shadow them for a few days, I would appreciate their contact info! Thank you in advance, and good luck to all!
    • By AnonnM
      Looking for some advice- I plan on applying the 2021 cycle but I’m a bit neurotic and really just need to plan out everything ahead of time.
      My cgpa and sgpa will both be around a 3.25 (currently taking post bacc classes) if I continue with an upwards trend. I should have around 2000-3000 PCE by the time I apply, I’m currently an ER scribe, volunteer EMT.
      I have about 30 PA shadowing hours but I work with a lot more pa’s in the ER now so I’ll be shadowing them; I've done some other pce work like PT aid, I also went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua through Global Medical Brigades and worked in a community health clinic. 
      Will also be taking the GRE soon.
      I guess I’m just very afraid of getting denied, idk if I should continue to take classes at cc and boost my gpa even more (super hard bc I messed up my first two years of college) or should I do a masters? My gpa is holding me back a lot, I am trying to shine in other aspects of my app but I’m a bit lost and I just know that I want to be a PA more than anything. Are there any specific schools any of you would recommend looking more into? Anything else I can do to better my chances/ app? If you have any insight please lmk!!
    • By Parashooter79
      Just curious if anyone has kept their certification after becoming a PA or current students still on the fence about doing the same. For those that are currently PA's,  how's keeping your certification helped or hurt you? Are you planning to add the DCLS or other doctoral training in the future? This topic is very interesting to me, just entering PA school after being a MLS and I'm interested how those skills translate to direct patient care. Cheers! 

• By Tllehann
      My name is Tessa and I am currently an MA at a dermatology clinic. I am aspiring to be a PA and will be applying during the next cycle. I have worked along side PAs for about 2 years now in dermatology and have experience working in a level 1 ED. However, I am looking for any PA shadow opportunity in Arizona that is not dermatology as I want to branch out and have an understanding of what PAs do in different fields. I live in Glendale but I am willing to travel anywhere in Arizona.
      If you are a PA or know a PA or any open opportunities feel free to reach out to me on here. 
      Thank you! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More