Why Not a Uniform Master's Degree?

Was just thinking about how the degree awarded to PAs varies across the board. Some places award a MSPAS (Master's in PA Studies), others offer a MMSc. (Master of Medical Science) and others offer a Master's in Health Science. I'm just curious as to why the degree varies when the accrediting body is all the same (ARC-PA)?

To me it makes sense to award a master's in some sort of Medical something (science, studies, etc.) because we are learning medicine, not physician assisting. Any particular reason for this?

I have thought about this recently as well. I don't have an answer to the question of why it is this way, but it makes sense that there should be one standard degree across the board for PAs, especially since the profession is now standardized at the master's level (or will be by 2020). I also don't like the "Physician Assistant Studies" aspect of some degrees. My personal preference are those schools that offer the MMSc, as I think it makes the most sense and would be a solid standardized degree for PAs (although my own program is an MSPAS, a Master of Science in PA Studies). 

Especially considering every other health profession has degrees that are mostly standardized and recognizable (for example BSN, MSN, DNP for nursing). Also, these professions have degree titles that reflect their actual practice (i.e. doctor of dental surgery, or master of science in nursing). Would sound pretty weird if it was a "doctor of dentist studies" or "master of registered nurse studies" ...

It sounds like it would benefit everyone to have the degree standardized, especially to those on the outside who aren't familiar with the profession, i.e. legislators. I'm sure it's not as simple as it seems, but it would only make sense to offer the same degree at all programs, especially if every program is held to the same standards by ARC-PA.

I feel like it would add to the merit of the profession, but I don't know how much of a factor the degree is in actuality.

LKPAC I agree, Master of Medicine would make the most sense. It would also denote someone who has completed PA school, so when you see it, you know that the person was trained as a PA. I know there's PA-C for practicing PAs, but a standard degree could allow one to be recognized for their training, even if they decide to pursue other endeavors. i.e. John Doe, MMed (regardless of his day to day job, you know that he has medical training).

Can we make this an issue? Really, it doesn't seem like too much to ask to hold our programs to a unified standard for the professional degree attached to our training.. could be maybe in the next ARC-PA standards? Or a resolution from the AAPA? This is would help reduce fragmentation and increase recognition. 

The problem is our title.  Master of Science in Nursing makes sense.  Master of Science in Physician Assisting does not.
Personally, I would prefer Master of Medicine.  Sounds cool and is in line with Doctor of Medicine.
But then I would be Joelseff, MOM, PA-C

[emoji19]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm going to take a stab at why there are different titles for the MPAS (which by the way is the worst title other than the title Physician Assistant).  I think it is related to the Universities and schools of medicine that house PA Programs.  They are full of red and blue tape, very political, and some have a masters degree in medicine which is offered to pre-med students who needs an extra year of school so they get the MMSC (Master of Medical Science).  I read that somewhere......

ARC-PA and PAEA need to knock their heads together and come up with an appropriate title for the masters program and it should not have the words physician assistant in it.

I like Masters in Medicine or  MMSc of Master of Science in Medicine.  I believe Western Mich Univ originally was a Bachelor of Science in Medicine when it was BS degree.....right??

4 hours ago, Paula said:

I'm going to take a stab at why there are different titles for the MPAS (which by the way is the worst title other than the title Physician Assistant).  I think it is related to the Universities and schools of medicine that house PA Programs.  They are full of red and blue tape, very political, and some have a masters degree in medicine which is offered to pre-med students who needs an extra year of school so they get the MMSC (Master of Medical Science).  I read that somewhere......

ARC-PA and PAEA need to knock their heads together and come up with an appropriate title for the masters program and it should not have the words physician assistant in it.

I like Masters in Medicine or  MMSc of Master of Science in Medicine.  I believe Western Mich Univ originally was a Bachelor of Science in Medicine when it was BS degree.....right??

I believe that is correct.

On 10/8/2017 at 5:24 PM, Paula said:

Definitely makes sense. Like you said some institutions award it as a one-year master's to help boost students chances at getting into medical/professional programs. I saw at Stanford they offer it to PhDs so that they can gain experience in translational research. I agree that the MSPA degree title is terrible

Archived