MPH-->PA school

Hey guys,

Im applying to a Master in Health admin program because my Gpa is low but my goal is to become a PA. Should I mention this in my statement of purpose for Health admin program or just tell them I intend to become a health Administrator? Does anyone have experience with this situation or a similar situation?

-Thanks in advance

While I don't have personal experience with this, I would not tell them your goal is to be an administrator. They want to accept students who want to be a PA. You could mention in your personal statement something along the lines of... you understand the weaknesses of your application and felt like pursuing an MPH would prepare you for graduate level coursework and be a good tool to have insight into administration and how that will help you become a better PA. That is just an example, but obviously try to communicate why you are doing all of this and where your passion is.

while it will strengthen your application, a year or 2 of solid HCE would probably be better.

think about it, all else being equal who looks better:

applicant A Paramedic for two years, 3.5 GPA

applicant B Masters Health Administration, 500 hrs as CNA, GPA 3.5

we know they both can do the classroom work, but only the medic has proven clinical ability to independently interact with patients.

my preference would be applicant C: Paramedic for 2 years, GPA 3.5, postgrad MPH done part time while working full time as a medic.

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

while it will strengthen your application, a year or 2 of solid HCE would probably be better.

think about it, all else being equal who looks better:

applicant A Paramedic for two years, 3.5 GPA

applicant B Masters Health Administration, 500 hrs as CNA, GPA 3.5

we know they both can do the classroom work, but only the medic has proven clinical ability to independently interact with patients.

my preference would be applicant C: Paramedic for 2 years, GPA 3.5, postgrad MPH done part time while working full time as a medic.

Wow , That's actually very good advice! thank you so much. 

I think what ill do is do the paramedic option as part time. Then do MPH full time starting fall 2018. I also already have almost 6years of direct patient CNA experience. Do you think from experience, it would be better to do full time student- part time paramedic? 

Archived