Are PAs truly "allied health"

According to the definition from the Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions:  Allied health may be defined as those health professions that are distinct from medicine and nursing.  Allied health professionals, to name a few, include dental hygienists, diagnostic medical sonographers, dietitians, medical technologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, radiographers, respiratory therapists, and speech language pathologists.

I have great respect for these professions.  In my previous life, I was among them.  

However, I submit that PAs more correctly identified as providers who practice medicine, not allied health.

We are "AHP's" or "Allied Health Providers" at my system.  I brought it up to our medical director who told me that we (PAs and NPs) are the only ones with this designation in our system. Nurses and other staff are I think, simply "Staff." For instance, only "AHP's" have privileges to write "physician documentation" in our EHR as well as Rxs besides the Docs. I kindly stated that Allied Health is usually reserved for RN, RT , Xray, ST etc but they kind of brushed me off, patted me on my "AHP" head and said they would look into it. Thing is, I am the only one (none of the NPs or PAs see anything up with this) so I dont want to look like a rabble rouser but I do bring it up when speaking with the admin and managers as well as the med directors who have told me that they highly value me on the team. It may not get anywhere but I'll keep pressing. 

Archived