Need some (embarrassing) advice!

This will sound silly but we are all healthcare providers (or students) so here it goes. I am a PA student who eats a very healthy, high fiber diet. As such, I always have frequent and very unpleasant smelling flatulence. I am worried about starting clinicals and being trapped in a primary care office with one other person (aka my patient) and, well, you know. I really don't want to change my diet. Does Beano help? Or any other kind of alleviating factor? I know I can't be the only one with this problem! Help!

....how did you manage being in class all day?  Did you step out of the room every time you needed to pass gas?  Sit in a corner by yourself?

Just start trying things and see what works for you!  Gotta figure it out now because you have a lifetime of being in the room with patients ahead of you.

Gas-X doesn't hinder farts. It helps you fart. It's a medication you take to relieve painful bloating.

If you want to change your diet but still stay healthy, my advice would be to cut down on legumes and whole grains. Legumes are great for you but there's really no good way around their side effects other than to limit their use. Whole grains are definitely preferable for people not getting other sources of fiber, but in my opinion whole grains do not offer a significant health advantage if you're already getting loads of fiber from fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for the advice, ya'll! It is definitely the fiber but I can't afford to cut back on it. I actually have to take fiber supplements in addition to my eating TONS of veggies all day or else I will only have bowel movements once a week accompanied with painful bloating. My mother and sisters have similar irregularities. I'm definitely willing to give up the fiber gummies if I can find another way to stay regular. This is so TMI! 

4 hours ago, mkngj said:

Thanks for the advice, ya'll! It is definitely the fiber but I can't afford to cut back on it. I actually have to take fiber supplements in addition to my eating TONS of veggies all day or else I will only have bowel movements once a week accompanied with painful bloating. My mother and sisters have similar irregularities. I'm definitely willing to give up the fiber gummies if I can find another way to stay regular. This is so TMI! 

Have you tried stool softeners and prunes/prune juice to keep you regular?

On 9/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, mkngj said:

This will sound silly but we are all healthcare providers (or students) so here it goes. I am a PA student who eats a very healthy, high fiber diet. As such, I always have frequent and very unpleasant smelling flatulence. I am worried about starting clinicals and being trapped in a primary care office with one other person (aka my patient) and, well, you know. I really don't want to change my diet. Does Beano help? Or any other kind of alleviating factor? I know I can't be the only one with this problem! Help!

Just curious.. What about Caffeine? How much do you consume daily??

Taking a probiotic supplement might help alleviate the situation or at least the unpleasant aroma. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived