Medical Mission Advice

I went to Haiti through International Medical Relief and it was an amazing experience. My job was to triage patients, obtain chief complaint through translator and take vitals such as temperature, height and weight, BP, O2 sats and administer vitamins and a dewormer. I also taught community education on topics such as sex ed and proper hygiene practices. There was a PA in our group so I also got to shadow her for a day and assist her with minor procedures. 

I went to Ecuador through Medlife. It was a great experience and I highly recommend it. We got to be very hands on (assisting with pap smears, wound care, etc.) and the doctors were very willing to teach during each patient encounter as far as histories and differentials.

I have some PA friends who have done Global Medical Brigades too and have nothing but amazing things to say about it. It can be a really good way to gain an appreciation for the importance of primary care and accessibility.

Archived