Hey there,

I know there are definitely a couple of schools that have a minimum GPA of 2.75, but I think that's really as low as they'll go, and even with the bare minimum, you'd need to have a lot of great stats with everything else (lots of PCE, good volunteer work, great references, etc.). But it's not the end of the world! Just take the time out to improve the GPA for a couple of semesters, get great experience, and see what happens!

The overwhelming majority of schools do an initial filter of seeing only applicants with >3.5 gpa, then they usually supplement with the 2.9-3.49's. Obviously there are exceptions, strings pulled and nepotism but that's for the rare few. If graduated, probably need to do a master's in another field of study, get a 4.0 then apply to PA school. Not sure that post-bacc classes could raise you to a 3.0.  A 2.75 with exceptional bolstering factors may be enough, call programs, sit in on PA classes, show your desire. 

Obligatory "PA school will be the hardest academics you'll ever do, and shear will and desire isn't enough - need the innate intellectual capacity". 

I disagree that majority of schools screen out those without > 3.5 GPA. I had a low 3.0 GPA overall, but higher in pre-req and I got in to a couple schools, one even a "top school". Faculty at my current program this year said they are specifically looking for people who aren't just "good students" but, actually well rounded good people :) 

I also have a Masters, 10's of thousands of PCE hours and thousands of volunteering hours (I was a board member of a charity). So low GPA can be done, but you need to be far above average in all other areas. Take some post-bacc classes or get a Masters in a hard science, perhaps some research all while working as an EMT or CNA and in a year or 2, you should be a great applicant. Target schools that look at your last 30-60 hours as they will use a more favorable GPA.

8 hours ago, EmPA26 said:

I disagree that majority of schools screen out those without > 3.5 GPA. I had a low 3.0 GPA

My position is based on knowing authorities who state this (directors, ARC PA, and AAPA folks). But like i said exceptions, far more application bolstering differentiators than most. 

Keep in mind, they're only going to accept students who they think will, in the end, pass the PANCE. 

Networking is very important. 

Schools often have cutoffs. Some don't look at gpas less than 3.0. Be above your school's minimum and you'll need something to differentiate yourself from the 3.6s and the like.

There are just too many applicants for reviewers to surf in the pool below the minimums unless you've got some superfine networking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived