Do I have a chance?

I’m struggling to decide if I should apply for this cycle or not due to my gpa and PCE. I graduated last august with a bachelors in biology. I’m 23 btw. 

Cumulative Gpa before post bacc credits-2.98
Sci GPA-2.65

Cumulative gpa after post bacc-3.17 (32 credits)
Sci gpa after-3.10

Post bacc cgpa- 3.98 sgpa- 4.00

PCE hours as a CNA~1500
Medical assistant~ 400

HCE as a Pathology Tech~ 1360

LOR- one from MD that I worked with, one from a PA I shadowed, and one from a former boss

Shadowing~150 hours 
Leadership Hours~80 hours 
Volunteer~150 hours

Taking the GRE this month 

My GPA was low in my undergrad bc of going through personal circumstances and recently learning that I have ADHD. After finding out my diagnosis I completely changed how I studied and I had an upward trend my senior year and during this post bacc.

While nobody can tell you what your chances are, you might find greater success applying to schools that evaluate your gpa based on the last 40-60 credit hours. 

With that being said I applied and was accepted to PA school with a 3.04 cgpa and a 3.44 sgpa. However, I had >10k hours of paramedic experience and my last 60 credit hours gpa was a 4.0 which included nearly all prereqs including orgo, genetics, etc.

Find out what the cutoff for schools are that you are interested in applying to regarding GPA and PCE/HCE. The closer you are to their matriculant profiles, the better your chances will be.

It's an uphill battle, but you can do it. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By savpeaches
      Hi everyone! This is my first post so be forgiving if I don't have proper forum etiquette lol. So I am extremely nervous to apply this cycle, 2021-2022, because I feel as though my application is not going to be that strong. Here's what I have (keep in mind that I am a junior in college, so I have some more classes to take):
      cGPA: 3.27
      sGPA: right now I have a 3.1, but after this semester I am thinking that it will be around a 3.3
      HCEs: over 2,000 as a CNA
      I haven't asked for LORs yet, but I am sure that those I ask will highly recommend me (crossing my fingers!).
      I don't have as many volunteer hours as I would like, around 50, but I am currently working on them. 
      I am also involved on campus as an Orientation Leader, I am the President of Nature Club, the treasurer of a History club, and I am also apart of many other clubs, I am just not holding any positions in them. I don't know if this is relevant or not but I also take juijistu classes off campus. 
      I did have some mishaps happen throughout college, I earned a C- in human A&P, and I had to retake biochemistry. I'm not sure if I should retake human A&P to raise my grade and GPA or let it go. I am going to apply this cycle to programs that do not have a minimum letter grade, but I am honestly so worried that these schools won't even look at my application because of my GPA and my A&P grade. 
      Any and all recommendations are welcome, thank you!
    • By pbluver97
      Hello everyone,
      I graduate in May with my BS in Health Sciences.
      My cGPA is a 3.70
      My sGPA is a 3.65
      I have about 1,050 PCE hours. About 700 are as a physical therapy aide, and about 350 as a dermatology medical assistant.
      I have 250 HCE hours as a dietary aide in a hospital
      150 volunteer hours as a nutrition aide, 30 volunteer hours as a patient transporter
      I take the GRE at the end of May
      LORs: Dermatologist I work for, Chem 2 professor, Ochem professor
      Shadowing: 19 hours- Vascular surgery PA (6) Family Medicine (13)
    • By Kyrah1988
      Hi all,
      I am a third time CASPA user and I am looking for some slither of hope. I didn’t do well at all my first three years of Undergraduate. My cGPA is 2.4 and sGPA is 2.75. Not any better. I am a non traditional student and have not attended school since 2014. I also have over 11000 HCE. I wanted to know are there any PA programs out there that have grade replacement or grade forgiveness. I wanted a more updated list. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Stay healthy my people. 
    • By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA forum.
      After doing some soul searching, I decided on maybe going for PA school. I am only a 2nd semester freshman. However, due to many circumstances, such as adjusting to online school, and a 1 star professor, my first semester of college was a 2.5. I also was not planning on anything after undergrad so I wasn't totally motivated on acing everything. I am doing my best this semester to make up for that, and getting a 3.75 or 4 this semester is realistic at the moment since Ive bee working extra hard. I am very worried however that all of the hard work that will come in the next years will be for naught if my 2.5 first semester will weigh me down. I know I am capable of getting mostly As and Bs from here on out, but will my first semester be the bane of my PA school application? Will schools take into account covid college and and very bad professors who hardly knew how to operate education software? Will schools see the upward trend as a good thing? I also understand that my application will be looked at as a package rather than just GPA, so I have some hope, but this worry still lingers.
    • By TatiRenee
      Hi everyone! I’m Tati.
      I just graduated in December with my BS in Kinesiology. I had a low GPA, exactly 3.0.  I don’t know what my science gpa is but I can only assume that is low as well. I plan to retake O-Chem 1 ( I got an S grading for it Bc my school did the S/U grading in Spring 2019) & I plan to take Biochem this summer. 
      I just started getting patient hours as an Emt in December. Once the PA application opens, I think I’ll have about 500 hrs. By august, assuming I only pick up my shift hours & not OT; I’ll have ~1000 hrs.  I don’t have any shadowing experience & it’s pretty hard to get some now because of the pandemic. 

im debating if I should apply this cycle with only the minimum hrs & a low gpa or should I wait, retake some classes & apply next yr? I’m very conflicted and don’t know what I should do. I know I want to go to Pa school but cannot decide on the timeline. 

any advice is appreciated!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More