PA Certificate vs PA Masters

Hello all! Recently I have applied to schools that are offering a PA certificate. Some of the past discussions on this topic are from 2013.  I know that most schools are gearing towards awarding students with a Masters.  However, with a PA certificate, are there any repercussions with trying to find a job after graduation. Will all states accept the PA certificate as a form of education. Thank you for reading this question. 

47 minutes ago, HopingtobeaPA said:

Hello all! Recently I have applied to schools that are offering a PA certificate. Some of the past discussions on this topic are from 2013.  I know that most schools are gearing towards awarding students with a Masters.  However, with a PA certificate, are there any repercussions with trying to find a job after graduation. Will all states accept the PA certificate as a form of education. Thank you for reading this question. 

I understand few schools still offer bachelor's PA program, which encompasses 2 years of prerequisites (Pre-PA) and 2 years of professional PA program leading to a bachelor's degree that qualifies you to write the PANCE. What's important is to be licensed as a PA-C, however, in a situation where there are more applicants than available positions, those with master's might be at advantage. Also, with the trend of PA master's program (24 to 30 months), it's advisable to go for it. 

It's not so much that programs are "gearing towards" an MS. In our part of the country, virtually all new PAs have a masters degree. In Ohio, it's required to prescribe. PAs who graduated without that degree have gotten them via extension, with Nebraska being the dominant university that I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding! I have a bachelors degree and applying to Barry University. Barry offers a masters in clinical sciences and a pa certificate. Would not having a masters in physician assistant studies have any repercussions?  You mentioned Ohio for example, would a masters in clinical sciences in stead of masters in physician assistant studies not allow you to prescribe medications. Sorry for the confusion thanks for your responses. 

5 hours ago, HopingtobeaPA said:

Thanks for responding! I have a bachelors degree and applying to Barry University. Barry offers a masters in clinical sciences and a pa certificate. Would not having a masters in physician assistant studies have any repercussions?  You mentioned Ohio for example, would a masters in clinical sciences in stead of masters in physician assistant studies not allow you to prescribe medications. Sorry for the confusion thanks for your responses. 

That isn't a certificate only program.  It's a masters PA Program.  Many schools offer something other than "physician assistant studies".  

There used to be, not sure if there still are, programs that you got a certificate only, no degree in anything.  While the ARC-PA standards were the same this could cause problems including the fact that a few states require a masters degree to work as a PA...

Timeline for PA programs to transition to Masters is 2020, I believe.

If the certificate program you are applying to does not have a plan to transition to a Masters then I would question it's future viability as a program. Alternatively, this program likely has an option to gain a Masters through other means which likely involves more money and time in addition to the certificate.

Professionally, those with less than Masters and experience practicing clinically have likely been grandfathered in by their respective licensing state. When they transition to another state, that status may not be granted and their ability to practice elsewhere is absent. For those new to the game, specific state law should be referenced as to the requirements for entry to practice. The AAPA would serve as a good resource to bring that information together along with investigating individual state requirements. But that will limit your flexibility.

This is a conversation that has fallen behind the current state of affairs. Optimal team practice is a game changing initiative for PAs across the country. The ability to put this into effect and have a seat at the healthcare table will depend upon academic credentials matching those sitting beside us. That means a move to a doctorate as a terminal degree. While I agree with those whom state that is not necessary based upon the clinical training we receive, as a PA who originally had a PA certificate and obtained a Masters later, the designation along with ability is what gains entry today. At a minimum, providing a means to do so for those training now for their 30 and 40 year careers is the best way we can set them and our profession up for future success.

George Brothers PA-C

Archived