Interview questions

Hi ya'll!

So last cycle I interviewed at a school and got wait-listed. Just this month, I interviewed again with that same program and was denied. I know the applicant pool varies from year-to-year, but I gained a lot more experience since last cycle so I am very confused. I worked hard to become a stronger candidate this cycle, and my interview went relatively well this month. Advice? I was also asked somewhat of a strange question during my interview, and I am not sure if it was what you would call an "illegal" question. I've read that certain personal questions about family are off-limits, and I am hoping this question didn't hurt my chances. I was asked if I moved to the school location if I would have family nearby to act as a support system. It by no means was an offensive question, but now I can't help but wonder if my response hurt my chances. TIA for any opinions and advice as to how to react to this. 

Was your response negative? Did it come off as if you weren't 100% devoted to becoming a PA?

There's a plethora of reasons why they could have rejected you. Many programs have told me they have received so many more applications than last year.. some doubled the amount. Competition is getting more fierce so your performance might have been good - but just not as good as others.

The question is a common one. I was asked if moving 2 hours from home would stress my then 35 year old marriage (49 today, as it happens.) I said that we were solid and that we would visit each other as our schedules permit. That it was no worse than for traveling salesmen.

How did you answer the question?

If you were turned down, it's worth a call to ask what you can do to be a better applicant. You might learn something that you can use elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was asked this. From CA interviewed in PA and was asked how I would deal being so far away from my support system. Also how I dealt with stress. I think it is a fair question. 

It seems like every year there are more applicants, so competition is different every cycle. From reading the posts on this forum, it is pretty common to not be accepted at a program where you were wait listed prior or to not even get an interview. 

Asking for feedback could prove helpful moving forward. 

Best of luck!

So, what if you just tend to be an independent person and do just fine without family around? My family was never much of a support system anyway...I just wouldn't want to come across as a callous individual. 

I imagine I would have tried to stress how capable I am of handling being alone. I would say that I expect to meet new people in my program and would expect that we could come together and support each other through our studies. Perhaps a bit cheesy, but also could mention that the staff at their program are said to be very supportive through the entire program, are experienced and thus I would gladly go to them for advice. I am not tied down by anyone and my priority is my education. 

I am not the greatest with interviews, however, so take it with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, love23cali said:

So, what if you just tend to be an independent person and do just fine without family around? My family was never much of a support system anyway...I just wouldn't want to come across as a callous individual. 

I imagine I would have tried to stress how capable I am of handling being alone. I would say that I expect to meet new people in my program and would expect that we could come together and support each other through our studies. Perhaps a bit cheesy, but also could mention that the staff at their program are said to be very supportive through the entire program, are experienced and thus I would gladly go to them for advice. I am not tied down by anyone and my priority is my education. 

I am not the greatest with interviews, however, so take it with a grain of salt. 

I got asked this at my interview and I pretty much echoed your thoughts. Lol, the point of applying out-of-state was honestly to get away from family and old friends and start anew. Love my family, but they actually cause me the majority of my stress.

45 minutes ago, NikkiO said:

I got asked this at my interview and I pretty much echoed your thoughts. Lol, the point of applying out-of-state was honestly to get away from family and old friends and start anew. Love my family, but they actually cause me the majority of my stress.

Haha, agreed. 

The entire program, they'd be bothering me with: "When are you going to start making decent money for yourself?", "Why don't you just consider Computer Software Engineering?"; "Don't get pregnant." (my family is ridiculous at times....or all times..)

Nothing wrong with saying you're independent, looking for the adventure of being in a new place, and that you look forward to making new friends and supporting each other.

The interviewer just wants to get to know you better; a standard, vanilla answer is not required.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Guest HanSolo

I think this question is more to gauge whether you have actually thought about moving to a new location and everything it entails. Perhaps it's more along the lines of, "have you actually pictured yourself living here?" No correct answers on this one, but you don't want to sound like you haven't at least thought about it. 

Archived