3-year Distance Program?

Guest reallyrb

The program in Nebraska? I believe it is only for already practicing PAs with a bachelors degree that want to advance their education to a masters level.

The Nebraska program is a Master's completion program for practicing PA's only. It does not have a time requirement, but instead is requirement based (X classes/clinicals). Good program, particularly the price.

Not a program that's useful to the Pre-PA candidate. From the earlier message, I'm not sure that this is what charron was referring to.

Distance learning for PA school would be extremely difficult imo. I'm sure it's possible, but there's only so much you can get from online powerpoints and maybe some tape recorded lectures. The 1 on 1 personal attention from professors is priceless, and the extra labs and experiences on campus cannot be done through a computer. I dunno, I wouldn't want to learn physical diagnosis online, or do a cadaver dissection on a computer program.

Distance learning for PA school would be extremely difficult imo. I'm sure it's possible, but there's only so much you can get from online powerpoints and maybe some tape recorded lectures. The 1 on 1 personal attention from professors is priceless, and the extra labs and experiences on campus cannot be done through a computer. I dunno, I wouldn't want to learn physical diagnosis online, or do a cadaver dissection on a computer program.

totally agree. do it right. go to a program, sit in class, question the instructor directly in real time, interact with other students in lab, etc

the last time a program tried this it failed miserably and closed out the option within 1 cycle because of the response from the professional pa community at large....( in other words if I had to choose between a new grad distance student vs traditional all else being equal I would take the known product, the traditional student....)

I know that things have changed since my time in training. But I really have a hard time envisioning how this could be done effectively. I really don't know anything about the program or have any objective data to base this on. It just, as Agent Gibbs would say, a gut feeling.

I don't know guys, I really do think things have changed now a days. While I agree labs are difficult to do, lectures really don't need to be done in person anymore. I mean, I know a bunch of med students who basically never go to class and still do well just by reading. I can't see how lectures in PA school could be that different.

Also, I notice on their website that the 1st 12 weeks are on campus, possibly taking care of that whole cadaver lab issue, I bet.

Guest 123snap

The Distance program is a 3 year program. The first 12 weeks are on campus for Anatomy and the first H and P class. Then the distance students return 2 or 3 times a semester for a couple days of test out on stations and to take some exams with the on campus students. The distance students have less classes per semester so that is why 3 years. All lectures are video recorded, on campus students have access too for reviewing. Distance students are assigned an advisor who works very closely with them. Occasionally there is a live chat thing they use to ask questions in real time. Most of those who I know have gone through it really liked it. Best advice, contact the program directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I started the post and then have not followed-up here about it. Thank you 123snap for your description - I would've said the same thing. I can agree it is certainly not the best option for everyone, but for those of us without a local PA school and with families to consider, and who can excel distance learning (which is a separate skill set, for sure), it is very intriguing. I still have not called the school to talk about it (busy getting that application done!) but will let you know if I find out anything new.

• 2 months later...

You need to be able to attend the program in the summer months I believe, so you need to be close to wisconsin. You also need to be from a rural area that has a need for primary care providers and you will be staying. Not sure where any of you are from, but this would seem to be a hurdle. Maybe Im mistaken on the true "distance" aspect.

just_me, where you from??

I never ended up calling to find out any more information, but I did apply to the DL option. I live in Vermont which is definitely a medically underserved population in need of rural primary care, so perhaps that will help my app. I have experience in distance learning and strong ties to my community here, both attributes they look for. I'll let you know when I hear something (not til Dec it looks like).

I figured it was worth a try after watching the information session (which I wish more programs would have online)

I never ended up calling to find out any more information, but I did apply to the DL option. I live in Vermont which is definitely a medically underserved population in need of rural primary care, so perhaps that will help my app. I have experience in distance learning and strong ties to my community here, both attributes they look for. I'll let you know when I hear something (not til Dec it looks like).

• 1 month later...

I spoke with one PA who had a friend who did this program and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I wasn't convinced based on heresay, though, and was not planning on applying.

At work, one day, I actually met a PA who had done this program. She said that she felt very connected to campus. Students actually spoke to her in the videos (they had met during the Anatomy lab). She said the advisors were fabulous. I was concerned about having to set up my own clinical rotations and she said, "You have a solid access to medical professionals, but I was just a stay-at-home mom and it worked great. You should have no problem getting the experiences you need." We talked for a couple hours, actually, and she was convincing enough that I did actually apply.

David Payne is the Academic Director of this program and he is absolutely outstanding. He provided the website www.prospectivepa.com to assist people with the entire process of deciding to become a PA through finding a job. I live in Orlando and have been encouraged by him to apply so distance is no problem. I am confident that he will make sure you are successful if you want to be successful. For questions, all you have to do is friend him or send a message on Facebook and he will respond. It's appropriate to ask him anything about the program or even individual questions. Just be sure not to take advantage of it by asking about interview status, etc. This is a one of a kind, excellent program.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking seriously about this program. I am in my middle thirties and would like to continue working part time during school to help finance my education. I currently already work in healthcare. Any additional information would be great!!!!!

Do you know how many David Payne's there are on facebook??? Dozens and dozens!!!

Erika

Archived