Time off from work for Medical or Family Medical Issues

Guest UVAPAC

Guest UVAPAC

I work for a small department (3 full time providers, and 1 extremely part time provider).  All of my vacation time and sick time apparently needs to be approved by my medical director.  I have 2 different scenarios I would like to present, and see if there is any feedback.

1.  My wife is pregnant (our first child and I am very nervous about it).  It was a long road to get to this point, and involved infertility workup etc.  My wife has her first Ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday at 2:30 PM which was the time assigned to her.  She asked if I could come (and of course I would love to) however the medical director states "I am sorry I can not grant you this time off, as there is no office coverage."  I do not want to tell my employer yet my wife is pregnant (she is only 4 weeks) and I would like to keep it private.  What are my rights?  I have not taken a sick day in 3 years.  I have 800 hours of sick time.  Can they deny me?  Do I have a right to go?

2.  I had lasik surgery 13 years ago.  My eyes have started to change and the eye surgeon recommended a "touch up" PRK procedure.  He states it will be 1 week out of work to recover.  I wanted to get it done ASAP.  My medical director has already denied it several times, stating he is working on hiring another part time provider so the schedules are not so congested in my absence.  Are they able to decide that? Shouldn't I be able to get a medical procedure done?

Thanks for the advice/info/opinions.

If this is going to be an issue throughout my wife's pregnancy I feel like I should just quit and find another job where I am treated like a human being.  

It is a tough spot to be in but you have to look out for you and yours. I'm not sure what rights you have but basic decency would require him/her to treat you a little better. I agree you may be in a position to choose between work and your wife and that is a no brainer. I'd have a frank discussion with your boss about it and ask him to keep it private because you don't want everyone to know right now. If he draws a line in the sand then you have to choose. I have often said when you only have crappy choices pick the one that sucks the least and get happy with it.

If your employer falls under FMLA then get an FMLA form from your wife's OB stating medical need for high risk pregnancy, etc.

Then you take the time off and it can come from your sick bank. And your boss can truly lump it - it is a covered need protected by law.

Yes, you need a new job. They can't treat you like that because they can't find or keep staff.

It is unreasonable to continue to deny time off for need. It's not like you are hopping off to Mexico or playing golf. 

Don't miss out on your baby. Very important. 

800 hours.......and they can't give you one day.  Jesh...

Force the issue and your not a "team player".  This is everything that's wrong with the work mentality in this country. Many jobs just stopped giving PTO, and many others give it, but won't let you take it.

They'll learn the hard way about office coverage and schedule congestion if and when you leave. Is the PTO approval by the director written into your contract? If not, you could just tell the schedulers to move your schedule around and schedule the future time off. Behind the director's back, yes, but it doesn't sound like this individual will ever approve your PTO.

If that's not an option, you could always have her record the U/S on her camera for this first one and plan out the others. Or maybe Skype/FaceTime for a sec in between patients if you want to see in real-time.

Most positions are at-will. So fair or not, if you leave against your boss' wishes, you could get canned in most instances.

Doesn't sound like a flexible place to work though. I have similar "coverage" restrictions where I work, and it is frustrating. All this paid sick time and we get penalized for using it.

Not saying just up and quit, but dont back-burner your family because of coverage issues which arent even your responsibility. If it was something I really wanted to go to, I'd call in sick. Doesnt sound like the PRK thing is urgent so you could put that off for a bit until you are in-between jobs.

I work for a small department (3 full time providers, and 1 extremely part time provider).  All of my vacation time and sick time apparently needs to be approved by my medical director.  I have 2 different scenarios I would like to present, and see if there is any feedback.

1.  My wife is pregnant (our first child and I am very nervous about it).  It was a long road to get to this point, and involved infertility workup etc.  My wife has her first Ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday at 2:30 PM which was the time assigned to her.  She asked if I could come (and of course I would love to) however the medical director states "I am sorry I can not grant you this time off, as there is no office coverage."  I do not want to tell my employer yet my wife is pregnant (she is only 4 weeks) and I would like to keep it private.  What are my rights?  I have not taken a sick day in 3 years.  I have 800 hours of sick time.  Can they deny me?  Do I have a right to go?

2.  I had lasik surgery 13 years ago.  My eyes have started to change and the eye surgeon recommended a "touch up" PRK procedure.  He states it will be 1 week out of work to recover.  I wanted to get it done ASAP.  My medical director has already denied it several times, stating he is working on hiring another part time provider so the schedules are not so congested in my absence.  Are they able to decide that? Shouldn't I be able to get a medical procedure done?

Thanks for the advice/info/opinions.

If this is going to be an issue throughout my wife's pregnancy I feel like I should just quit and find another job where I am treated like a human being.  

There are possibly LOTS of laws and regulations to protect you

I MASS they can not ask why if you have a doctors note - it is excused time

FAMILY comes first - period........

look into your state laws and figure out what you can and can't do legally

open (somewhat) communication is key with employer - tell them there is a "medical issue" develping that requires you to take time off and you are not at liberty to discuss further specifics....  let them know more time off might be coming.....

above all 

FIND OUT RATHER THEY HAVE TO PAY OUT YOUR SICK TIME IF YOU LEAVE

If they do not then make sure you are using it now - as needed......  otherwise you give up almost a 1/2 years (20 weeks) salary if you leave....

The clinic is not going to go out of business if you are not there - they have to worry about it, not you....

Archived