GERD "Failures". Who bothers to ask...

How the patient is taking their PPI medication? I've had two alone today in Snot/Cough clinic that when reviewing meds commented that theirs wasn't working. When asked how they were taking it both were dosing incorrectly. Neither was taking on an empty stomach and waiting 30" to eat a meal/snack. Wish I had $5 for every time that I run across this. No one seems to tell the pt. how to dose the medication, or they don't pay attention.

Same could be said for DM (cough, not diabetes) and serotonin impacting meds. I'd be retired now if these were the case.

I think with PPIs few get proper instructions on how to take it. Usually they get a short "take it with your morning meal" and they are off.

Don't get me started on people with horrible health habits who "can't afford" their meds/tests/therapy. That would be a 1000 reply topic in itself I suspect.

• Administrator
Don't get me started on people with horrible health habits who "can't afford" their meds/tests/therapy. That would be a 1000 reply topic in itself I suspect.

I give people a "you are the CEO of you" pep talk. "I'm your high... heh, not-so-highly-paid consultant, giving you the best advice of evidence based medicine, and it's your job to factor competing priorities in, do the best thing you can, and live with the consequences"  I sleep well at night knowing that I tried my best to be collaborative and supportive while making it clear that their choices to NOT heed my recommendations could have poor consequences.

Thinking of PPI's, I'm amazed at how many clinicians don't tell people with GERD, hiatal hernias, etc, to prop up the head of the bed and actually just change their eating habits (or at least comment about this stuff - get lots of 4 headed alien looks when I bring this stuff up)..."I get reflux whenever I eat or drink "X" ..." .  Three letters come to mind - D-U-H - it if hurts, don't do it. 

And Yeah, had a patient I told had to start on HTN meds and quit smoking - wasn't willing to quit smoking (2ppd) and start the $3/month Ramipril.  I told them if they didn't, they'd have a stroke or MI within about 6 months - I was off by 4 months.  Saw them in the office to set up stroke rehab at 10 months after the last time I saw them.

SK

Guest Paula

I regularly tell my patients to prop up the head of the bed (and not by using more pillows) and some do and are utterly amazed how well it works.  I also talk about weight loss and losing the spare tire ( not in those words but I want to).

I just had a patient come in with complaint that his recti diastasis  (spelling police please correct) hurt.    Full exam, no concerning findings , and recommendation was to not sleep on his belly and buy a My Pillow.  Yes, I did say that. He laughed.

The reason I raised this point is that I have come to the realization that WE aren't telling the patients how to take this class of medication, and as a result, patients perceive treatment failure because they ARE having treatment failure. Many wouldn't have to double down on dosing if we bothered to make certain that they were taking it correctly. As stated on a local sports talk radio station "The ANUS is on us" to give the information (broadcaster didn't know it should've been "onus").

Archived