AAPA comes through - now this is advocacy, and professional advancement!!

Thank goodness NCCPA did not mess this one up too....       New Mexico PAs celebrate enactment of collaboration bill

April 18, 2017

New Mexico PAs will have greater autonomy due to the enactment of H.B. 215, which was signed into law by Gov. Susana Martinez on April 6.  The legislation was the product of months of negotiations among the New Mexico Academy of PAs, the New Mexico Medical Board, the New Mexico Medical Society, and the Greater Albuquerque Medical Association. The bill, which goes into effect on June 6, makes several changes to PA practice in the state, including:

• Allowing PAs in primary care with three or more years of clinical practice to enter into a collaborative, rather than supervisory, relationship with a physician;
  • Allowing PAs to practice within their own education and experience;
  • Allowing PAs to dispense medications; and
  • Allowing the New Mexico Medical Board to set the parameters for collaboration (including defining primary and specialty care) and establish the rules surrounding supervisory and collaborative agreements.

When the bill was heard in Senate Committee, H.B. 215’s fate became uncertain due to lobbying by the National Commission on Certification of PAs (NCCPA), which opposed a proposal in the original bill to eliminate the requirement that PAs maintain national certification to renew license.  The final version of the bill retained the recertification requirement and added language allowing recertification from an equivalent or successor agency to NCCPA.  At the same time, the unexpected opposition created a ripple effect in which the collaboration provision was limited to PAs in primary care, language stating that PAs are responsible for the care they provide was removed, and a requirement under current law that the Medical Board approve supervising or collaborating physicians was placed back in the bill after being removed in earlier consensus drafts.

While the last-minute changes in H.B. 215 may limit its reach, the bill is still expected to increase patient access to care in New Mexico, particularly in rural and medically underserved areas of the state.  For more information on H.B. 215 or PA practice in New Mexico, contact Erika Miller, director, constituent organization outreach and advocacy.

• Allowing PAs in primary care with three or more years of clinical practice to enter into a collaborative, rather than supervisory, relationship with a physician;
  • Allowing PAs to practice within their own education and experience;
  • Allowing PAs to dispense medications; and
  • Allowing the New Mexico Medical Board to set the parameters for collaboration (including defining primary and specialty care) and establish the rules surrounding supervisory and collaborative agreements.

It is happening!!!

that highlighted section is the first step towards allowing us to practice with FPR!!!!  

Now what do we do about our nasty little problem with NCCPA that is against us???

I like this bill (at least what was presented here).

We stay under the BOM, which is where we belong (because we practice medicine).

We still have to recertify q 10 years - same as our physician colleagues, and sets us apart from the NPs.

Plus it sounds like it loosened some stupid restrictions, such as dispensing medications.

Not sure how the AAPA was directly involved in this?

Good news regardless.

I've been an outspoken critic of the AAPA in the past because I felt they were a flaccid figurehead organization with no balls, to be blunt. BUT--I am impressed with their FPAR literature and advocacy moves against the NCCPA in the past 9 months.

The NCCPA has declared itself as self-serving revenue monster with no real interest in the evolution of the profession, as evidenced by their lobbying efforts, conflicts of interest, internally-appointed BOD, and lack of transparency with regards to their cashflow. They have been successful in tethering the livelihood of most PAs to certification and re-certification, without any real evidence that re-cert results in better outcomes, or even a public dialogue. Now they are thwarting advancements in autonomy to their own ends. They continue to charge us all annual dues to the tune of $150 per PA, resulting in a gross revenue stream of ~$15 MILLION dollars from this alone, not including millions in exam fees. 

You know, I'll be honest, I dont even really like being a PA. But I do care about my profession and if I werent part of this forum I would have no clue about what's going in the state legislatures and with our 2 professional organizations.

Not sure how the AAPA was directly involved in this?

Good news regardless.

I've been an outspoken critic of the AAPA in the past because I felt they were a flaccid figurehead organization with no balls, to be blunt. BUT--I am impressed with their FPAR literature and advocacy moves against the NCCPA in the past 9 months.

The NCCPA has declared itself as self-serving revenue monster with no real interest in the evolution of the profession, as evidenced by their lobbying efforts, conflicts of interest, internally-appointed BOD, and lack of transparency with regards to their cashflow. They have been successful in tethering the livelihood of most PAs to certification and re-certification, without any real evidence that re-cert results in better outcomes, or even a public dialogue. Now they are thwarting advancements in autonomy to their own ends. They continue to charge us all annual dues to the tune of $150 per PA, resulting in a gross revenue stream of ~$15 MILLION dollars from this alone, not including millions in exam fees. 

You know, I'll be honest, I dont even really like being a PA. But I do care about my profession and if I werent part of this forum I would have no clue about what's going in the state legislatures and with our 2 professional organizations.

Would you mind sharing a little as to why you don't like being a PA? As a student that graduates soon, I am curious to what has you feeling this way. Would a change of specialty help?

Archived