EM middle of nowhere vs urgent care

Hey all,

I worked in a high volume urgent care for almost a year. This urgent care was attached to a large hospital and I was ordering Ct scans and ultrasounds. I then had to move into occupational medicine in another state due to family reasons and this was the only job available. Left there after several months as it was just a terrible fit and I absolutely hated occupational medicine. I am roughly 1.5 years out of pa school.

Now here's my predicament: I am working per diem at an urgent care that's very high volume where providers see almost 40-50 patients in a 12 hr shift but it's lower acuity compared to my previous urgent care. However, if I want to work in a double coverage situation, I would have to work 5 8 hour shifts a week. Otherwise, it would be single coverage. Pay is 66 per hour with no 401k. Time and half after 10 hours and double time after 12 hours. They have told me that I will likely be transitioned to full time in a month or two but no guarantees.

My other option is to work at an ED that's willing to teach new grads. However, this ed is in the middle of nowhere and I will have to commute 4 hours and work 3 shifts in a row and then drive back home and do this on a weekly basis. However, the guarantee is after doing this for a year, I will be able to move back to an ED in San Diego where I live. The pay at this ed would be 75 an hour with 401k and other great benefits.

What would you guys do with? I do like the lower liability of urgent care but having a year of er experience with a doc alongside willing to teach also seems appealing but a year with a brutal commute seems rough.

I'm not a PA...yet

Commute.

You suffer for a year but if the guarantee is as you say then it'll pay for itself much more in the long run.  Who knows you may also grow to love the "middle of nowhere" experience.

The reason I believe as I do is that it appears you are talking about getting EM residency experience with a regular paycheck.  In medicine experience is key and to get paid well for the privilege is gravy.  Suck it up for a year and this experience will open up many more doors.  I know plenty of people who have done similar and they are better off for it...then there are others like myself who didn't and are playing catchup.

Much success to you! 

Thanks for all the input so far. 

Would you guys say this is still worth it if I do prefer urgent care to ER? I am just worried it might be torture for me as ER is higher acuity with likely night shifts. During PA school, I had terrible insomnia due to night shifts. Worried this could be the case again. 

The only reason I am still considering the ER gig is for the experience and the fact that it pays well despite being a position similar to an ER residency. 

Thanks for all the input so far. 

Would you guys say this is still worth it if I do prefer urgent care to ER? I am just worried it might be torture for me as ER is higher acuity with likely night shifts. During PA school, I had terrible insomnia due to night shifts. Worried this could be the case again. 

The only reason I am still considering the ER gig is for the experience and the fact that it pays well despite being a position similar to an ER residency. 

Only you know what is best for you regarding shift work, but if you have an opportunity at a new-grad ER position, I would take that. You can find ER work just about anywhere, and any UC will hire someone with ER experience. The opposite is not always true.

I recommend the ED with the commute for the reasons stated above. Yes I do thing it worth it even if you like UC more. The ED will give you great experience and possibly some  negotiating power for that UC job down the road.  

Disclaimer: I love ED work, regularly travel 3 + hours to work, and don't mind shift work or long hours. So I'm a bit biased.

As you know, in the end you are the only one that decides if sucking it up for a year then perhaps moving to UC is worth it.

Best of luck

...edited for spelling error

Everyone should do at least 1 year in the ER, but make sure you are never left alone.  Really bad stuff happens in the ER all the time, and you are not ready for it alone.  Having said that, getting some quality ER experience will make you a better Urgent Care provider down the road when you switch to UC....and you will switch.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the input. I have come to the conclusion that it's UC or bust for me. I cannot handle overnight shifts and UC gives the perfect work life balance. Working 4 8's at a UC right now, but I am looking for full time work in SD area in UC. This part-time gig will work for now, but looking around for something full time. 

Archived