"Personal Assistant"

Just started an orthopedic job last Monday as a new grad PA and am loving it.  Two days ago I'm rounding in the hospital with a NP learning the computer system and all the other crud that is outside of actually practicing medicine.  On this infamous day I was introduced by the NP as Dr. SoandSo's new PA.  Patient had no idea what a PA was so the NP cut me off and immediately replied, "He's basically her Personal Assistant" (and yes, she strongly emphasized the "P" and "A").

I handled the situation by correcting her in front of the patient and explaining what I am certified to do and how I will be providing care moving forward for my supervising physician's patients.  Then, after we left the patient room, I made it crystal clear to the NP that that was beyond inappropriate and I don't appreciate being undermined in that way.

Thank God I won't be working with this lady and only filling in when she is on vacation as I have since learned that she seems to be on a crusade against PAs in the ortho practice (even though we outnumber the NPs 2-1)

Ridiculous!!!  I was in belief that she even said that.  She's good at her job, but what a way to welcome a new comrade...

I'll also include that my doc is awesome.  She is very supportive of PA's and so far has really emphasized our partnership rather than seeing me as inferior in any way.

Archived