How long do you REALLY need to stay in a position?

I've posted on here before about issues with my job. Although I enjoy most of the patients and the majority of the staff, I don't think that this job is the right thing for me. I dread going into work almost every day. The problem is, I am a new graduate and I have only been in this position for 4 months (and it feels like the longest 4 months of my life).

When I applied for this job, I was under the impression that I would be under the guidance of the physicians rather than under the guidance of the NPs. I was told that I would be trained for this job, especially because it is a very specialized field of surgical medicine. On day 2, I was told to start seeing patients on my own and ask questions if I had any. There was no formal training, no formal teaching, just go for it. Im willing to go out on a limb and say that 95% of the scope of our practice was not covered in PA school. It makes me feel as if I am not learning as much as I should be. It makes me nervous that I don't know what I don't know. 

The NPs are difficult to work with. The one has anger issues and is not easy to talk to. I can tell that she does not like me. She always complains that I don't work hard enough, even though we see approximately the same number of patients a day. She can be passive aggressive, and it makes me anxious and makes me dread going to work. The other NP can be alright, but she is definitely power hungry. If i have a question, I know I can usually ask her for guidance, but she is easily influenced by the mean NP and they will gang up on me and talk about me behind my back. It seems like no matter how hard I work or what I do, they always have some problem with me. I have sat down with them on several occasions (on my own initiative) to address the problems, but the problems persist. 

There have been issues with the schedule, which never seem to be resolved. I always have to fight for myself to have a fair and comparable schedule to the NPs. I have spoken with the doctors about ongoing issues with the NPs, and they acknowledge my frustrations and problems. However, they are of the opinion that we are adults and should be able to work it out. They have spoken to the NPs about the problems, but I am only met with further passive aggressive behavior from the NPs, like not speaking to me at all during clinic hours and creating my schedule without my input. 

The office culture seems to be one of "misery loves company." That just isn't me. There are a few staff members that feel the same way I do, but they will be retiring in the next few years and just want to make it to the finish line. I just feel stuck because I am so new to the profession. I feel like I have to stay in this job for at least a year or else it will look bad on my resume, but I can't imagine staying in this position for another 8 months. I try to tell myself that it isn't me, it's them. I try to let it roll off me, but I'm having trouble doing it. 

Am I really stuck? Do you really need to stay in a new job as a new grad for at least a year? Any advice is really appreciated.

Sounds like a seriously toxic environment. Especially as a new grad. If I were in that position I would actively look for another job. If a new job wanted to know why I'm wanting to leave my current employer, I would simply state that it was not a good fit for me. Now if your locked in a contract I would go back and read it over and find out if you'd be taking any hits if you just left. I firmly believe you have to love where you work. Otherwise your well-being will suffer and in turn, your patients may suffer. Cut the cord if things don't improve.

how do you go about looking for another job and interviewing without letting your current job know? I feel like they would call or contact my department for references, and I don't want them to find out i'm actively searching for another job at this point in time.

I have found that most new jobs are understanding of this. Also, on the applications that I completed 1.5-2 years ago, there was an option to have them not contact your current employer. Best of luck in your search!

If you haven't looked for a job much in your life, there is probably no way that you know this, but most people look for a new job while they still have an old one. That's why it is not unusual for an applicant not to want his current employer notified that he's looking.

You still need some references, but they don't need to be people you are currently working with.

Good luck!

There was a box on the application for "do not contact current employer." I just wasn't sure if that was a red flag of some sort to check the box. I think I will start applying and looking for other jobs this weekend. There's hopefully nothing to lose at this point. I do not have a binding contract at this institution, it was merely a letter of employment, which makes it easier for me to leave

Get out ASAP to save yourself the misery. Being so fresh out of school, it would be a shame to develop resentment for what you do this early. Echoing what previous posters have said, chose the option on your application to not contact current employer, and if there are any questions during the hiring process, keep it simple with "It wasn't a good fit". Good luck with the search!

Start applying yesterday.  Most places I've applied at don't require references right away, and since you are a relatively new grad, you could probably use some school references.  No need to tell your employer anything until the day you quit.  I'm not sure if the box marked "do not contact current employer" is used by the hiring company to weed out applicants, but then again, a place that does that is not the place for me. 

And as somebody mentioned up above, when asked why you are leaving, just state "it really wasn't a good fit", and if asked why, use generalities.  Don't use it as an opportunity to bad mouth your previous place or NP's.  Just keep it general and specific to the question. 

PS don't wait to quit.  You are literally wasting time and your knowledge base is shrinking with nothing to replace it.  You need to get a position that starts to fill it back up, one that you can grow and learn, not one that beats you down. 

I'm so sorry this job has been awful for you. It does seem like a really common story for new grads. If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend who took the most horrifying job you could ever imagine in GI and worked forty days straight when she first started. The doctor she was working with was really condescending to her, and the worst part of it all, she was only making 70K for all that work. She left that job after five months. One of my favorite professors at school had a similar situation to you, and took a job early on in her career with very little oversight. She quit that job after six weeks. We've always been told not to "job hop" -- but staying at this job is definitely not worth it. The common thread in these horrible first job stories is that a lot of the time the person did not carefully do enough research because they were just happy to have a job as a new grad. This time, be a little bit more discriminating! You have a job now. Keep it while you look for something else, can wait until something really good comes along.

Who fills out applications?  All the jobs I've gotten were "submit your CV" type positions.

One hospital I work at the nurse manager was adamant that I fill out the online "application."  I tried to, but the questions were ridiculous for a professional position (great for housekeeping)...called her back and said I wasn't going to spend 3 hours trying to fit my professional CV into their "did you graduate from high school" questions.

Got the job anyway.

Preppy:

1: Start looking for other jobs.  Put the word out through friends/colleagues/drug reps/everyone that you're looking.  Send out your CV, cold call hospitals/clinics, etc.  

2. When you get a bite, take an afternoon off to go to the interview.  Simply tell the scheduler that you ARE taking that afternoon off.  Take personal time if necessary.  

3. During your interviews, make it clear to the new job that your first job simply isn't a good fit and you are looking for a position where you will fit in better, can receive adequate supervision/orientation (don't say "training").  Also make it clear that you will HAVE to coordinate a final day with your current position (gotta give them adequate notice).

There are terrific jobs out there, go find one!!

My first job was only about 5 months. Same scenario as you---I loathed every single day and even started to fall into depression. 

It aint getting better my friend. Just leave. You'll be fine.

That's a fact.  Be up front with your new employer but not to spiteful of your previous employer.  Tell them, "I'm leaving because I expected to be working in an environment where I was a part of a PA/Physician team so I could get my feet underneath of me and really develop my clinical skill set.  I wasn't offered that there and it isn't an environment where I can grow and work over the long term.  I tried several times with open communication to resolve it, but it didn't get resolved".  It's not too defamatory about the old employer which is good because your new employer wouldn't want you leaving them with horror stories if you decided it wasn't for you.  Also, it doesn't stoop to the level of NP-PA drama because no matter how valid your complaint is, it may seem trivial to an employer.  You want to be taken as someone who can get along with all professions in the healthcare field.  It also highlights something about you that would be attractive to a future employer.  An unhappy PA does not have enough applications in my friend.  Start applying and interviewing.

All of this feedback has been fantastic! Thank you everyone! Someone really nailed it on the head in one of the previous posts: I am afraid my knowledge base is diminishing and I am not excelling to the point I need to be out of school. I feel much better knowing I can ask to not have my current employer contacted and that it is okay to say in an interview that the position was not a good fit. I have already found a few job openings I plan on applying for this weekend.

I disagree with everyone else here.  Try to stick with your first job for at least a year.  When I see someone with a job less than 1 year, it's a flag, I know something was wrong.  It probably isn't your fault, but I would rather interview other applicants that have been in their positions for the longterm.  It also gives you more bargaining power when negotiating your salary for your next job.

With that said, if you are in a region with high demand for PA's, it's probably OK if you can stick with your second job for a while.  Agree with everyone else to be on the lookout for other jobs.

I see what cbrsmurf is saying.  I really do, however if you are not growing and you are wasting your first year of independent clinicals getting dumber at even the stuff you are seeing in clinic it is in no way worth staying.  I wouldn't quit until you have another job but if someone lied to you and didn't deliver on what they told you the practice environment was supposed to be like, do not feel obligated to stick around.

As far as salary negotiations, get on the department of labor's bureau of labor statistics website.  Find out what the mean income for PAs in your area is.  Your new, I'd start at or slightly above average (don't get greedy, you're new).  Whatever salary you throw out there, make sure you say, "for a year and then I'd like to revisit it and have something that is reflective of my performance".  You aren't looking to shake someone down for money (yet anyways).  You're looking to develop yourself as a PA as a part of a team.  Once you are a producer at an organization, that's when it's time to see how much the team values you.  Then you can get more aggressive about salary.  I'd rather make $100k/yr being happy than $120k/yr getting ignored by physicians and dumped on by NPs.  If you aren't getting what you need, vote with your feet.  If future employers are more worried that you'll leave if you don't like it there than they are worried about making sure you like it there, you don't want that job anyways.

Archived